Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Micro Adjsut with NEW lensalign Focus Tune?

Karl Witt
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Micro Adjsut with NEW lensalign Focus Tune?

So there is the basic method of setting up some items, then there is the recent Dot Tune here on FM, there is the fully automated and advanced FoCal by Reikan and there is now Focus Tune with the Lensalign target system.

My FoCal is not working correctly with my 1DMKIII and the support by FoCal has me ticked off with their terribly slow and now non-response communications so I have an interest in the Lensalign system with their new Ver3 Focus Tune software.

Has anybody used this new system that Lensalign offers with their FocusTune software??
http://michaeltapesdesign.com/lensalign.html

Karl
Anyone with experience with it yet
Thanks

Feb 10, 2014 at 04:48 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Micro Adjsut with NEW lensalign Focus Tune?

Didn't even know that existed. I have the Lensalign and use FoCal usually and have also tried DotTune. My newest findings is that for lenses in the 600mm and greater focal lengths that it is very difficult to ever get a consistent calibration from any methods. I'm guessing you are doing the Tamron? Sometimes just using the Lensalign and your own judgement might be the best way but you really have to set up a long distance.

Feb 10, 2014 at 05:35 PM
Kathy White
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Micro Adjsut with NEW lensalign Focus Tune?

Karl, I gave up on Focal too. I bought it a couple of years ago and had nothing but trouble using it in the way of buggy software, if I remember correctly, and the same complaint on support. It took days to get a response. I keep thinking I should try to upgrade to a newer version if they have one and give it another try. From your post, maybe not.

Feb 10, 2014 at 06:24 PM
Karl Witt
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Micro Adjsut with NEW lensalign Focus Tune?

PCKit wrote:
Karl, I gave up on Focal too. I bought it a couple of years ago and had nothing but trouble using it in the way of buggy software, if I remember correctly, and the same complaint on support. It took days to get a response. I keep thinking I should try to upgrade to a newer version if they have one and give it another try. From your post, maybe not.

Have downloaded the newest Mac Version. Their last response to me at FoCal was rather edgy and said the 1DMKIII is an old camera I reminded them that their current website shows a 1DMKIII is a supported body and there for should properly work
They told me a new version was coming out in two weeks and asked if I would like to try that.............well of course I'll try anything that works!

I think I will get the LensAlign with FocusTune............I'll have the good old fashion way with a good visual of just where the focus is falling and a software program to do some tweaks.

Karl

Feb 10, 2014 at 08:26 PM
Karl Witt
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Micro Adjsut with NEW lensalign Focus Tune?

arbitrage wrote:
Didn't even know that existed. I have the Lensalign and use FoCal usually and have also tried DotTune. My newest findings is that for lenses in the 600mm and greater focal lengths that it is very difficult to ever get a consistent calibration from any methods. I'm guessing you are doing the Tamron? Sometimes just using the Lensalign and your own judgement might be the best way but you really have to set up a long distance.

I think the Tamron is OK without MA on my 1DMKIII but wanted to verify focus consistency. I did a stationary target test and it seemed OK though.
Always nice to have a foundation test system to work from, helps me realize what faults I may be introducing

Feb 10, 2014 at 08:29 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Micro Adjsut with NEW lensalign Focus Tune?

This looks pretty cool!

Feb 11, 2014 at 03:51 PM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Micro Adjsut with NEW lensalign Focus Tune?

Sad that I'm too lazy to try focus microadjust at every location...or at all.

Feb 11, 2014 at 09:16 PM
schlotz
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Micro Adjsut with NEW lensalign Focus Tune?

Karl,

After having used FoCal for a few years I became disenchanted with their process having to lug a laptop out and trying to see its screen in bright sunlight while attempting to get everything else lined up. Even tried Lens-Align but this was before he had come out with a combo software program. It required 2 tripods and for me it was a PITA to attempt to align. On the other hand, I've have VERY good success with Dot-Tune.

Regardless of the method and/or system used, when it comes to LONG lenses the physical mechanics become more difficult. Example: A 400mm requires 66 feet. At this distance getting a solid focus fix can be frustrating. Just touching the focus ring while in Live View @ 10x continually puts the rig in motion which makes dialing in focus difficult. You certainly want to do this on a calm (no wind) day. IS can help, but remember to turn it off after you get the focus set. This remains IMO, the only difficult part of the process.

The nice part about the Dot-Tune method is that you need nothing else but a high contrast target. Believe it or not, I've had pretty favorable success taping sections of Newspaper HeadLines to the back of my SUV, aligning the height of the rig to the test target then moving back 66ft. I saw immediate improvement in the sharpness of the soccer photos I took that same night. As with most things, YMMV

Only thing I wish different, that DT would have been around prior to me wasting my money on earlier Lens-Align and FoCal.
For those reading this for the first time, you can find the DT method here: https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1187247/0

Matt

Feb 12, 2014 at 10:07 AM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Micro Adjsut with NEW lensalign Focus Tune?

I agree for my long teles, the dot tune method is fast, portable, and produces fantastic results. I regret having previously spent time on more cumbersome methods.

Feb 12, 2014 at 11:15 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Micro Adjsut with NEW lensalign Focus Tune?

I find Dot Tune is okay up to 600f/4 but once I try it at 840 f/5.6 or god forbid 1200 f/8, the vibration induced by changing the settings each time is too much for a reliable and repeatable result. FoCal also stumbles at those latter two focal lengths. For those lengths I have resorted to multiple tests and coming up with my own average and then testing in the field. So far my results are good.

Feb 12, 2014 at 11:39 AM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Micro Adjsut with NEW lensalign Focus Tune?

arbitrage wrote:
I find Dot Tune is okay up to 600f/4 but once I try it at 840 f/5.6 or god forbid 1200 f/8, the vibration induced by changing the settings each time is too much for a reliable and repeatable result. FoCal also stumbles at those latter two focal lengths. For those lengths I have resorted to multiple tests and coming up with my own average and then testing in the field. So far my results are good.

I am able to fine a range of MFA that clearly and repeatedly gives me the green dot with 840 and 1200. I use a cable release on a calm day. When I look at the vibration in live view, it seems to settle down quite quickly and from a practical standpoint probably shakes less than anytime when I am actually taking photos. As you say, despite vibration issues, my results are sharp.

Feb 12, 2014 at 12:00 PM
Larate
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Micro Adjsut with NEW lensalign Focus Tune?

PCKit wrote:

I already said it and I will go on until my last breath : Focal is a piece of crap from software engineering point of view (bad practices, most of the effort put in the crappy protection), a gyp from buyer point of view (no trial version, reuse of free/gratis third party libs in an expensive software).
Moreover it is completely useless for the end-user, because either your lense has a constant focus shift (whatever the focal length, the subject distance and the repeatability) but that would be easily solved with dotTune. Or your lense has a "random" focus shift (most of the time depending on the subject distance) and thus you have to check it in the field and recheck it when the context has changed significantly. And Focal requires you to take a laptop with you (with enough battery!). Again, dotTune is more efficient.

Yep, definitely one of the worst software I'd bought!

Feb 15, 2014 at 07:17 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Micro Adjsut with NEW lensalign Focus Tune?

arbitrage wrote:
I find Dot Tune is okay up to 600f/4 but once I try it at 840 f/5.6 or god forbid 1200 f/8, the vibration induced by changing the settings each time is too much for a reliable and repeatable result ...

I use a LensAlign II target with camera settings controlled in LiveView by EOS Utility, via USB to my notebook. Works for me up to 1000mm (500mm * 2xIII). Entirely hands-off.

Feb 15, 2014 at 07:39 PM
RAF09
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Micro Adjsut with NEW lensalign Focus Tune?

Thanks for bringing this up. I too would like to hear some first hand thoughts on how this approach works vs all the other similar methods.

Feb 17, 2014 at 06:04 PM
Jim Servies
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Micro Adjsut with NEW lensalign Focus Tune?

Another vote for DotTune! Fast, easy and reliable. Thanks Adam!

Feb 17, 2014 at 06:58 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.