Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

any high quality non-destructive book scanning recommenda...

rkgatteleport
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · any high quality non-destructive book scanning recommendations?

Hi,

For a lot of the items I shoot I have a number of rare, fairly expensive reference books that when I need them I need them badly, but they are mostly just taking up space outside of that.

I had an epiphany the other day after seeing a sample from (I guess) some service that uses the units that don't open up the book all the way/get run through correction software to get rid bulge at the spine, etc - and they'd work fine for what I do with these references. Checking a couple of places on line they seem to charge a small fraction of what the books are worth, and....

Has anybody dealt with any of these non-destructive book scanning services/have a reference for somebody they had good luck with?

Thanks,

rkg
(Richard George)

Feb 10, 2014 at 05:09 PM
nolaguy
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · any high quality non-destructive book scanning recommendations?

Richard, it may just be me but I'm slightly uncertain of your question. Are you saying you want to send your fairly expensive reference books off to a service that will scan/document each page spread without excessively flexing the spine?

Feb 11, 2014 at 05:11 PM
markby2k

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · any high quality non-destructive book scanning recommendations?

I don't think they do non-destructive but Custom Book Scanning has done a great job for me in the past with destructive scans. www.custombookscanning.com

Feb 11, 2014 at 08:56 PM
rkgatteleport
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · any high quality non-destructive book scanning recommendations?

Thanks for the reply.

To clarify, I wanted to get the references scanned so I can dispose of the physical books.

Usually these scanning services either chop off the spine and feed the book to a scanner or use these rigs with "v" shaped table and crossed cameras to image the pages, which are then run through some correction software so you get rectangular final images - I need the latter service, hence the "non-destructive" request....

Best,

rkg
(Richard George)

nolaguy wrote:
Richard, it may just be me but I'm slightly uncertain of your question. Are you saying you want to send your fairly expensive reference books off to a service that will scan/document each page spread without excessively flexing the spine?

Feb 12, 2014 at 03:06 PM
cwebster
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · any high quality non-destructive book scanning recommendations?

If you are going to dispose of the physical books, why the need for "non destructive"?

<Chas>

Feb 12, 2014 at 06:24 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

markby2k

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · any high quality non-destructive book scanning recommendations?

Same question as cwebster, if you are going to toss it anyway you may as well go with destructive scanning. Since it goes through a sheet fed scanner you don't get that distortion requiring the software to fix the angles. If they are rare or expensive books it makes less sense but you said you were disposing of them anyway.

Feb 21, 2014 at 07:23 PM
John Patrick
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · any high quality non-destructive book scanning recommendations?

My guess is that after he scans these "rare, fairly expensive reference books" he's either going to put them somewhere safe, or sell them. The latter of which would be copyright infringement, while the former would be allowed under fair use (backups).

I'm sure that as a photographer, he has no desire to become an infringer of copyright.

John

Feb 21, 2014 at 11:59 PM
rkgatteleport
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · any high quality non-destructive book scanning recommendations?

John,

Actually, I'm VERY aware of copyright issues. The first paragraph of section 107 of title 17 specifically allows for reproduction of copyrighted work for scholarship/research purposes.

The scans are actually for my own personal use - so I can identify what the items I'm shooting so I can understand them better to aid in shooting them, not resale of the scans, etc. so I believe they would fall under the "fair use" doctrine according to the law (one of the few times it actually does apply).

Best,

rkg
(Richard George)

EDIT: read it for yourself:

http://www.copyright.gov/title17/92chap1.html#107

Edited on Feb 22, 2014 at 05:29 PM · View previous versions

Feb 22, 2014 at 05:19 PM
rkgatteleport
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · any high quality non-destructive book scanning recommendations?

markby2k wrote:
Same question as cwebster, if you are going to toss it anyway you may as well go with destructive scanning. Since it goes through a sheet fed scanner you don't get that distortion requiring the software to fix the angles. If they are rare or expensive books it makes less sense but you said you were disposing of them anyway.

The books are rare/kind of valuable, so it seems like a bad idea to destroy them for the scans.

Best,

rkg
(Richard George)

Feb 22, 2014 at 05:27 PM
John Patrick
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · any high quality non-destructive book scanning recommendations?

Richard, I know you're allowed to make copies that fall under the fair use clause (we are all allowed to copy every single CD, DVD, BluRay, VHS, etc. provided that we don't sell or give away the originals).

I think the confusion states that you wanted to "dispose of the physical books" rather than "safely store the physical books."

John

Feb 22, 2014 at 08:59 PM

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password