Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Anyone ever photographed a Quinceanera?

fstopperdown
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Anyone ever photographed a Quinceanera?

What can anyone tell me about a Quinceanera?

This would be a non paying gig (actually might cost me if I rent a spare body and lens)

Assuming this will include a lot of minor children, would I even be able to use the images without a stack of release forms?

Thought it would be fun to shoot for a few hours and knock the rust off.

The thought process was also that maybe it would lead to some portrait opportunities.

Feb 10, 2014 at 08:26 AM
bryanlindsey
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Anyone ever photographed a Quinceanera?

fstopperdown wrote:
would I even be able to use the images without a stack of release forms?

Are these minor children especially litigious?

Feb 10, 2014 at 09:34 AM
Njphotostudio
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Anyone ever photographed a Quinceanera?

Just make sure you have a contract with their parents or legal guardian. Same as a regular booking.

I do many quinceaneras. Some will follow a similar sweet 16 of four hours at one location. Maybe a park.

The traditional quinceaneras is more like a wedding and many photographers will say it is a wedding on steroids.

The traditional quincianera will involve, the house, church, park and then the reception.

At the church, they will do a blessing and maybe put the tiara at that time, if not the during the reception.

At the reception there is first the tiara by the mother, then are the change of choose by the father, which it is a symbol of going from a child in to a woman. Then a first dance with the father and may be her mom.

The quincenera may be different between countries, please read more here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quincea%C3%B1era

hope this helps

Feb 10, 2014 at 11:08 AM
Nikon_14
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Anyone ever photographed a Quinceanera?

It's like a wedding without the groom. The moment where Dad switches her shoes is important.

I can understand that you might be just starting out & want to charge accordingly. But one thing to consider if you're looking to book paying portrait sessions referred from this is that potential clients will ask the quince's parents, "How much did you pay the photographer?" When these potential clients find out that you shot for free, well...

Feb 10, 2014 at 04:13 PM
sanangel

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Anyone ever photographed a Quinceanera?

I've photographed dozens. The biggest difference between XVs and Weddings is that you have to balance the expectations of the girl and her parents. Try to read the XV to see if she's a more outgoing personality or doesn't like to have too many pictures taken of her.

Also posed formals are a big deal to the latino market, so be sure to really get those!

Feb 10, 2014 at 04:26 PM
xicotencatl
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Anyone ever photographed a Quinceanera?

I've been shooting them for the last 7 years.

Not sure how many hours you will be shooting, but this is what happens (not all the time).

- make up
- getting her dress on.
- coming out of her house and getting into the limo with the Guys (chambelanes) walking after her.
- arriving at church.
- walking down the aisle. (sometimes with parents, sometimes by herself).
- ceremony, (consecrated wafer and wine, if they are Catholic). During the ceremony sponsors will be called and they will start putting all the gifts on her: (ring, bracelet, necklace, ear rings, bible and rosary, 15 roses). A bouquet is also given which she will take to Virgin Marry.
- pics at the altar. (just like in a wed).
- pics at the park or anywhere she chooses. Make sure to get some crazy ones, they love those.
- get some pics of her and her chambelan of honor. (this Guy will be dressed with her dress colors).
- make sure to take a pic of her and the limo (one inside as well).
- Reception, same as weddings. (cake, tables, details....)
- They usually have a designated place to do more pics with family/friends and sponsors at the hall.
- Vals with chambelanes (Guys, and sometimes they even have *damas* = girls).
- Sponsors put a crown on her, then Dad puts high heels shoes on her and she will be given a doll.
- Dance with her Dad, maybe her Grandpa (s), then some sponsors (or all).
- Surprise dance will be on the way and maybe the toast.
* - If the priest didn't allow the sponsors to put the ring, bracelet, necklace on her during the ceremony, they will be put on her during the vals.
- Some XVs will receive a gift surprise as well.
- Cake.
- All Quinceañeras are different and not all the things above mentioned necessarily will happen.

Sorry for not being specific or for not using the correct words. If anybody has any questions, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Lio.

Feb 13, 2014 at 03:35 AM
ryansandsphoto

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Anyone ever photographed a Quinceanera?

Just make sure you treat this event the same as any other very very important day in the family's lives. Respect should be given to these kinds of things. If your unsure about how to cover it or if you even shoot rent a 2nd body, consider hiring a pro or someone to shoot with you that has more experience. Just my 2 cents

Feb 28, 2014 at 08:04 AM
sanangel

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Anyone ever photographed a Quinceanera?

fstopper, did you do this event yet? how'd it go?

Feb 28, 2014 at 11:22 AM
fstopperdown
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Anyone ever photographed a Quinceanera?

I have a wedding in October for a friend that sort of started this ball rolling.

Once I saw to want list from the mother, I politely passed on the opportunity.

It's been four years since I shot my last wedding and there were too many holes in my gear bag, and too much rust on my skills.

Instead, I've landed a freelance job for my local newspaper. They give me a couple of assignments each week.

I've got some wireless triggers on the way, and over the next six months plenty of comparatively low pressure shooting opportunities to reinvent myself.

My wife has a few of her clients that want some portraits of their children. Another has a dance studio.

I'm approaching each weekly assignment much like I would approach a wedding. Details, portraits, architecture, landscape, PJ, with an emphasis on Off camera flash. Get a couple of keepers and experiment. A press pass is golden for me...

I'll let somebody else work for free and enjoy the stress of a dozen teenagers. I would hate to flub such an important event and have those images haunt me if I ever decided to get back into weddings and/or portraits.

Thanks for the advice and encouragement. It was helpful in the end.

Feb 28, 2014 at 01:53 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.