Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

X-E2 Worth It?

JasonMichael

Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · X-E2 Worth It?

planalpha, thanks for sharing your X-E2 experiences. In the settings menu, under "Power Management," turn on the "High Performance" option and see if it further improves your AF performance. In theory it's supposed to help, but the literature on the feature is scant.

Mar 04, 2014 at 06:16 PM
planalpha
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · X-E2 Worth It?

JasonMichael wrote:
planalpha, thanks for sharing your X-E2 experiences. In the settings menu, under "Power Management," turn on the "High Performance" option and see if it further improves your AF performance. In theory it's supposed to help, but the literature on the feature is scant.

Thanks, Jason!
I just turned it on and will play with the new setting. Hope it helps!

Mar 05, 2014 at 05:01 AM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · X-E2 Worth It?

Interesting excerpt from the recent DPReview E2 review where they got gold.

Overall, the X-E2 impressed us with its performance and responsiveness, ranging from startup to shot-to-shot to continuous shooting speed. Its AF performance isn't noticeably better than the X-E1 (with its latest firmware installed), except when tracking a moving subject.

In terms of single AF acquisition speed, we didn't find that the camera performed any better than the X-E1 (running the latest firmware), but with one of the faster focusing lenses, such as the 18-55mm zoom, the X-E2 starts to show some of the tracking advantages it promised. Obviously, AF speeds depend on your choice of lens, but on most of
...Show more

Mar 06, 2014 at 03:01 AM
nalax

p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · X-E2 Worth It?

I have both the X-E1 and X-E2 and I find that SAF is faster on the X-E2 and that's without power management on. I tested by shooting two fixed subjects at different distances. I consistently got more shots within in a fixed time span with the X-E2. With power management on it bumped up again. Then again I don't shoot like dpreview and YMMV.

Mar 23, 2014 at 06:52 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · X-E2 Worth It?

Question about the EVF, at the store right now and it seems the EVF live view has big bars on the bottom, is that just a limitation of the aspect ratio or something not set right on the camera?

Apr 01, 2014 at 04:57 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · X-E2 Worth It?

Sorry if this is too late for you (probably not at the store any more).

Depends on what you're looking at. On the X-E1/E2, the EVF is a 4:3 aspect ratio, with the full 3:2 view taking up the full width flush to the top, with a bar underneath with the relevant shooting information. There is a view setting to turn that off, but I don't recall what it does to the viewfinder (my X-E2 is at home today...have the E-M5 with me)...but I think it just turns off the info, since the full width of the viewfinder is already taken up with the image, and that area doesn't have any extra vertical view anyway.

Apr 01, 2014 at 05:39 PM
planalpha
• •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · X-E2 Worth It?

Are the HDR or other guides on? I don't notice any bars on mine. You could do settings reset and see if there is something setup strangely. Any chance you could use your phone's camera to take a picture and post it?

Apr 01, 2014 at 05:50 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · X-E2 Worth It?

Jman13 wrote:
Sorry if this is too late for you (probably not at the store any more).

Depends on what you're looking at. On the X-E1/E2, the EVF is a 4:3 aspect ratio, with the full 3:2 view taking up the full width flush to the top, with a bar underneath with the relevant shooting information. There is a view setting to turn that off, but I don't recall what it does to the viewfinder (my X-E2 is at home today...have the E-M5 with me)...but I think it just turns off the info, since the full width of the viewfinder is already
...Show more

That was the camera set incorrectly, I knew there would be some compromise in the live view not filling up VF because of aspect ratio. It was because it was setup as 16:9 by the last person who handled it. Still, would have been nice if they used an EVF with the correct aspect ratio so it would be a 100% view.

I found the EVF quality actually okay but I think I'm just too spoiled now with the huge EVFs in the EM1 and VF4. Its hard to adjust to the smaller EVFs, it also seemed somehow more recessed and farther away, hard to describe it.

I need to make a decision today or tomorrow before this lens sale ends.

Used E1 + 23mm F1.4 or just keep my E-P5 + VF4 and order the new PL15 1.7... hrmm...!!

Apr 01, 2014 at 06:06 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · X-E2 Worth It?

Yeah, after the E-M1, the X-E2 viewfinder seems tiny. It was especially bad for the first few days after I finished testing the X-T1, as that viewfinder's even larger (and fills the whole frame, with shooting info overlaid). I swear, for the first two days after shipping the X-T1 back to Lensrentals, I just hated looking through my X-E2 again. Luckily, after a while, you adjust. I don't have problems switching between my E-M5 and my X-E2, though, as the E-M5's EVF is roughly the same size. The E-M1 and X-T1 have such gorgeous viewfinders, though.

I don't need the X-T1 at all, but I'm seriously considering picking one up at sometime just for the viewfinder. (I like how it feels in the hand too, but the main draw is the viewfinder).

The one downside to the X-E1 vs the X-E2 viewfinder (which are otherwise very similar) is the refresh rate in low light. The E1 is pretty laggy in dim light, while the E2 is rather smooth.

Apr 01, 2014 at 06:18 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · X-E2 Worth It?

Right, the SAF speeds seemed almost identical between the E1 and E2 in normal indoor store light. I'm curious if in low light the AF is significantly different between the two with fast lenses. So far, I don't see the benefits of getting an E2 for literally twice the money of an E1. Would rather put that $400 towards lenses.

Apr 01, 2014 at 06:31 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · X-E2 Worth It?

The E2 will focus a lot faster on things with vertical contrast. When PDAF kicks in, it focuses very, very quickly. (Using the center 9 points). Outside of that, AF is very similar. I find PDAF kicks in quite a lot, so I get that benefit on a lot of my shooting, but there's still plenty of times (especially in dimmer light) where the E2 just has to use CDAF. The X-T1 seemed to lock with PDAF more readily than my E2.

Aside from the PDAF in single shot, the E2 can also track motion somewhat decently, and the write speeds are significantly faster with a fast card. It also allows you to zoom the viewfinder when the camera is writing to the card...the E1 won't do that. This is a limitation of the E1 that did lead to some level of frustration when shooting with adapted glass, though it won't be a problem if you are shooting with native lenses, though the camera does still take a long time to empty the buffer. If you are shooting rather deliberately, there's little benefit to the upgrade, though.

Apr 01, 2014 at 07:11 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · X-E2 Worth It?

Nice, good to know.

I will tell you this, after playing with the Fujis, Sonys, and GX7 at the store. I can't imagine ever going back to a D600 or 6D. Picking them up and handling them just felt terrible. Sure, their absolute image quality is undoubtedly better but that gap seems to narrow each generation and it was just really not enjoyable. Their builds also rang somewhat hollow compared to any of the mirrorless makers, especially the Canon.

Apr 01, 2014 at 08:09 PM
Karlstorm

Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · X-E2 Worth It?

I have both, and I probably still use the X-E1 more than the X-E2.
I'm curious; why do you have both? And why do you use the X-E1 more? Just wondering!

Apr 02, 2014 at 02:13 AM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password