New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2014 · X-E2 Worth It?

planalpha
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · X-E2 Worth It?

I just got a Fuji X-E1 and LOVE the thing, but trying to take pictures of my 3 year old has proved to be very challenging with the autofocus system. I read the X-E2 has a greatly improved autofocus system so I'm curious how much better it would be? Given the new autofocus, the setable 180x shutter speed, and the extra stop on the thumb dial, is it worth the upgrade given I JUST got this thing about 33 days ago? I know I'd take a hit on the body and will seriously piss off my wife, but given my description, would it be worth it?

Thanks for the help!

Feb 10, 2014 at 01:08 AM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · X-E2 Worth It?

Its a better overall camera, better control layout, much better EVF, higher rez LCD etc and I'd say overall I think it was worth the upgrade, HOWEVER, it still isn't up to DSLR ability when it comes to AF tracking performance.

Its a little faster to lock, and responsive, so you can grab a lot of still shots, but your going to miss a lot of stuff running around indoors and such still, especially wide open with a fast lens since the DoF is shallow

Great overall camera, but just not an action camera

Feb 10, 2014 at 01:20 AM
ct8282
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · X-E2 Worth It?

Rule number 1. Don't tell the wife. Will she notice an 'X-E2' badge where there was once an 'X-E1' badge?

Feb 10, 2014 at 09:32 AM
molson
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · X-E2 Worth It?

planalpha wrote:
I just got a Fuji X-E1 and LOVE the thing, but trying to take pictures of my 3 year old has proved to be very challenging with the autofocus system. I read the X-E2 has a greatly improved autofocus system so I'm curious how much better it would be? Given the new autofocus, the setable 180x shutter speed, and the extra stop on the thumb dial, is it worth the upgrade given I JUST got this thing about 33 days ago? I know I'd take a hit on the body and will seriously piss off my wife, but given my
...Show more

Hard to say... I have both, and I probably still use the X-E1 more than the X-E2.

Feb 10, 2014 at 09:35 AM
DaveOls
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · X-E2 Worth It?

The Nikon One cameras are supposed to have the fastest AF speed. Of course, it is a much smaller sensor.

Feb 10, 2014 at 09:36 AM
paparazzinick
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · X-E2 Worth It?

What kind of conditions are you having trouble in when taking pics of the kids? If it's darker then you will have issues regardless of the system you shoot with. Practice practice and practice. Learn your tool inside and out and you will get it. I have an xe1 as well and do not have any issues capturing my 1 year old or my 4 year old.

Feb 10, 2014 at 09:53 AM
benee
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · X-E2 Worth It?

paparazzinick wrote:
What kind of conditions are you having trouble in when taking pics of the kids? If it's darker then you will have issues regardless of the system you shoot with. Practice practice and practice. Learn your tool inside and out and you will get it. I have an xe1 as well and do not have any issues capturing my 1 year old or my 4 year old.

Even running shots? I have been using Fuji for 2 years now (first x100 and now XE-1) and thing it is great for family shots, but there is the occasional missed shot....

Feb 10, 2014 at 01:21 PM
leo11877
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · X-E2 Worth It?

planalpha wrote:
I just got a Fuji X-E1 and LOVE the thing, but trying to take pictures of my 3 year old has proved to be very challenging with the autofocus system. I read the X-E2 has a greatly improved autofocus system so I'm curious how much better it would be? Given the new autofocus, the setable 180x shutter speed, and the extra stop on the thumb dial, is it worth the upgrade given I JUST got this thing about 33 days ago? I know I'd take a hit on the body and will seriously piss off my wife, but given my
...Show more

Have you applied latest Firmwares to all your lenses and the X-E1? That should improve things a lot. I had the XE2 for a few days. I shoot indoors mostly in low light, there is a noticeable improvement in AF speed and accuracy. But I didn't feel it was worth the extra $500 as I had paid full retail. If you end up getting a good deal on a X-E2, it might be worth it. But don't do anything until you try the firmware.

Also for indoors nothing would work except 1.4 aperture. So if you are trying 18-55mm kit lens, try to get a flash or improve lighting

Feb 10, 2014 at 01:32 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · X-E2 Worth It?

I have found the X-E2 to do a lot better in the situations you speak of. It's still not as fast as a modern m4/3 camera, but it can be quite quick even indoors with the current Fuji glass. I find the PDAF grabs hold rather well on eyes, so you get a big improvement on the center 9 AF points. Outer points are slightly faster than the E1, but not a huge difference. PDAF for moving subjects is much better, and it can track Ok (but not amazing) in many instances. Overall responsiveness and the EVF lag are majorly improved, though.

For me the upgrade was well worth it, but it may not be for everyone.

Feb 10, 2014 at 01:40 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · X-E2 Worth It?

molson wrote:
Hard to say... I have both, and I probably still use the X-E1 more than the X-E2.

Why the pref to the X-E1

Feb 10, 2014 at 04:02 PM
alba63
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · X-E2 Worth It?

paparazzinick wrote:

I absolutely can second that. In moving situations with children and such, the "full shutter press" technique (framing and then instantly fully press shutter) works quite well, I get much more shots in focus than before. I'd say 35-40% in focus when moving fast. Not what a d700 can do, but enough for me. I shot the E1 all of 2013, and rarely ever missed something.

In my short period with the X-E2 I found the AF only faster in very good light, in dim late afternoon light it instantly went back to X-E1 speed (PDAF only working in bright light). I also found the colour output of the X-E2 to be changed, I personally like it less than X-Pro1 and X-E1.

If one wants the latest bells and whistles, he should go for the X-T1 or E2, but otherwise, the IQ of the X-E1 is every bit as good if not better. And the used prices of the X-E1 are on an all- time low now.

Feb 10, 2014 at 04:54 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · X-E2 Worth It?

A note on the color... I haven't noticed a difference in JPEG color, but the color profile included in Lightroom for the X-E2 is pretty bad. I made a custom profile from my color checker passport, and it's is a massive improvement. The CC Passport is an absolute must-have for any photographer, in my opinion....I've used it for years and profile all my cameras. In some cases, it's a minor improvement over Adobe's profile...in some (like the GH2 and X-E2) it's a huge improvement. With the X-E2, the Adobe profile is very deficient in the reds....my custom profile makes a huge difference. If I have time tonight, I'll post an example.

Feb 10, 2014 at 05:00 PM
alba63
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · X-E2 Worth It?

Jman13 wrote:
With the X-E2, the Adobe profile is very deficient in the reds....my custom profile makes a huge difference. If I have time tonight, I'll post an example.

Thanks, I am interested to see those...

Feb 10, 2014 at 05:16 PM
planalpha
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · X-E2 Worth It?

Thank you all for your input! I do have the latest firmware installed on the body and lens but the thing cannot focus well at all. I'll put the focus point in the center and make it as small as possible and from 2 - 3 feet put the little green box right on the side of her eye so it has a high contrast point and it just hunts and quits with the red box and AF! error. I did play around with just mashing the shutter release button all the way down and it's really hit and miss. Glad to know the PDAF only works in bright light and in my case my not help out.
I'll see what continuous mode can do for me, but I'm not too optimistic. I also noticed that in a lot of the cases the AF assist light doesn't turn on so it must not be too dim. I do a ton of shooting with a couple of off camera strobes so light can be at a premium in a lot of cases so I may have to velcro a flashlight to my camera

As far as the camera profile in LR, I don't see one for the X-E1. Is that something I can download somewhere?

Thanks again, all!

Feb 10, 2014 at 05:55 PM
paparazzinick
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · X-E2 Worth It?

Yes even running shots. There will be times shots are missed, but I have missed shots with Nikon and Canon pro bodies. So no camera is perfect or fool proof.

benee wrote:
Even running shots? I have been using Fuji for 2 years now (first x100 and now XE-1) and thing it is great for family shots, but there is the occasional missed shot....

Feb 10, 2014 at 06:01 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · X-E2 Worth It?

planalpha wrote:
Thank you all for your input! I do have the latest firmware installed on the body and lens but the thing cannot focus well at all. I'll put the focus point in the center and make it as small as possible and from 2 - 3 feet put the little green box right on the side of her eye so it has a high contrast point and it just hunts and quits with the red box and AF! error. I did play around with just mashing the shutter release button all the way down and it's really hit and miss.
...Show more

On some cameras, the smallest size focus spots actually makes the focusing less accurate when focusing fast, so you could try making them larger to see if that helps.

Feb 10, 2014 at 06:02 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · X-E2 Worth It?

benee wrote:

Any camera is going to give missed shots. My Nikon D3s with some of the best phase detect AF in existence still miss focus sometimes, and that is with over 10 years experience as full-time sports photographer behind the lens as well.

Best solution to the occasional missed shot is just take some extra shots and you should get at least a few in focus.

Feb 10, 2014 at 06:06 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · X-E2 Worth It?

Try to go at least one size larger on the Fuji AF point. In lower light, larger is better. I find the 2nd smallest provides a good balance between precision and acquisition.

Feb 10, 2014 at 06:44 PM
AtelierPhoto
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · X-E2 Worth It?

alba63 wrote:
Thanks, I am interested to see those...

If for this as well, if you get the chance!

Feb 10, 2014 at 06:54 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · X-E2 Worth It?

Ok...here are two examples. One under fluorescent light at high ISO, and one with studio flash at base ISO. Both show the issues with the Adobe profile rather clearly.

First, this one. This is with the X-E2 and Canon FL 55mm f/1.2 at ISO 2000.

First, with the stock Adobe color profile in Lightroom 5.3: No major adjustments were made here, just a bit of a tick up on the vibrance.

http://www.jordansteele.com/2014/xander_adobe.jpg

Now, here's the same image...the ONLY difference is I have switched from the Adobe Standard color profile to the custom Dual Illuminant profile I made for my X-E2 with the X-Rite Color Checker Passport:
http://www.jordansteele.com/2014/xander_custom.jpg

The Adobe profile makes greens too saturated and reds are shifted massively orange. The corrected profile restores the greens to their true color and brings the reds back to red instead of orange. The blues are also subtly corrected to their true vale. I can assure you, the colors in the second image are what the actual objects look like....that little apple thing is a deep candy apple red, as are the balls and such behind him.

Here's a shot under studio flash (LumoPro LP180 speedlight in a softbox) with the X-E2 and Fuji XF 55-200mm. First the Adobe profile:
http://www.jordansteele.com/2014/chloe_adobe.jpg

Now the custom profile. Again, no adjustments other than the color profile change:
http://www.jordansteele.com/2014/chloe_custom.jpg

Again, the rich deep red of the curtains in the background is restored, the blues are now deeper, the red detail on her shirt is properly saturated. To my eye the skin tone is more pleasing as well.

And, just for fun, here's that picture with my final post processing:
http://www.jordansteele.com/2014/chloe_curly5.jpg

Feb 10, 2014 at 08:39 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.