Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Juvie Bald Eagle Processing Help???? (3)

BNJarrett
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Juvie Bald Eagle Processing Help???? (3)

So I have more questions for this distinguished group for post processors. I set my EV setting for the whites of the adult heads and tails. Then a Juvie happens along and look like crap. Are Juvies actually harder to capture and expose properly?

1)

2)

3)

C&C Welcomed,
Kent

My Blog

Feb 09, 2014 at 10:38 PM
USM IS
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Juvie Bald Eagle Processing Help???? (3)

I actually find the juvi's are easier for me. Don't have to worry about blowing out the heads. First shot looks to me more like a white balance thing. Looks like curves would make the other two pop a bit more. But I am just a rookie.

Mike

Feb 10, 2014 at 01:04 AM
VinnieJ
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Juvie Bald Eagle Processing Help???? (3)

Exposing to the left for the heads and tails? By how much? (No EXIF Viewer on current PC)

If the Juvi is underexposed to begin with because of EV adjustment then you'll have less to work with in post. Do you have the same problem with the bodies of the adults?

Feb 10, 2014 at 08:10 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Juvie Bald Eagle Processing Help???? (3)

In bright sunlight if you are protecting the adult head then the body and underwing of the adult will be fairly dark in my experience. Cloudy-bright light is best. And yes with juvies if you are set to expose the adult white head again the juvi will be too dark. If you see a juvi coming in and are set for a good exposure on an adult you need to let in more light. You need to train yourself to quickly change one of your settings. I now shoot fully in M so I usually quickly change ISO as I'm usually after a certain f-stop and SS and already have that dialled in. That said if just going out and only shooting juvies, then getting the exposure right is easier in my experience as they are a nice neutral colour and you can get the brown feathers better exposed and not worry about the white patches.

In the above shots, #1 is underexposed, but 2 and 3 are looking good to me. I don't try to over lift all the underwing details out of the shadows as it looks unnatural. How you have processed #3 looks exactly how I'd like to see it done.

Feb 10, 2014 at 08:15 AM
Tim Kuhn
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Juvie Bald Eagle Processing Help???? (3)

Expose for grey and adjust was the birds fly by. I bump down the shutter a stop (maybe) for adults. If you shooting the correct angle just shooting for grey will expose them properly. I can bet some will argue with this, go ahead and feel free. This system works for me.

Tim

Feb 10, 2014 at 08:52 AM
morris
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Juvie Bald Eagle Processing Help???? (3)

I agree with all of what was stated already. As far as processing, adjust your levels to get the light areas correct, then pull the blacks down with levels and/or curves. These can look very good.

Morris

Feb 10, 2014 at 08:53 AM
kmunroe
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Juvie Bald Eagle Processing Help???? (3)

Tim Kuhn wrote:
Expose for grey and adjust was the birds fly by. I bump down the shutter a stop (maybe) for adults. If you shooting the correct angle just shooting for grey will expose them properly. I can bet some will argue with this, go ahead and feel free. This system works for me.

Tim

+1

Feb 10, 2014 at 05:33 PM
Duane N
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Juvie Bald Eagle Processing Help???? (3)

Tim Kuhn wrote:

Tim

I agree with this. I actually dial the shutter speed up two clicks on the fly when juvenile flies by..I'd rather go over a tad on the younger birds and is easily recovered in exposure adjustments in my raw conversion.

Feb 10, 2014 at 05:37 PM
BNJarrett
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Juvie Bald Eagle Processing Help???? (3)

Thanks for all the help and Tips! I truly appreciate it!

Kent

Feb 16, 2014 at 10:13 PM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.