FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Horsetail Fall in Yosemite

phil hawkins
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Horsetail Fall in Yosemite

Horsetail Fall in Yosemite is raging! These storms have brought the waterfalls back to life! Now all we need is a clear sunset!

Feb 09, 2014 at 06:31 PM
Kee Woo Rhee
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Horsetail Fall in Yosemite

Very good to hear, Phil! The forecast seems to indicate sunny days ahead!
Will be there in a few days.
Kee

Feb 09, 2014 at 07:25 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Horsetail Fall in Yosemite

For folks heading up that way to chase the light at Horsetail, there are some other photographic events in the Valley that you might want to check out while you are there. Notably, the Yosemite Renaissance XXIX exhibit opens with a public awards reception on Friday February 28.

From the announcement:

Yosemite Renaissance XXiX
an exhibition of contemporary art of Yosemite and the Sierra
Saturday, March 1 to Sunday, May 11, 2014
Yosemite Museum Gallery
Yosemite National Park

The public is invited to the
Awards Reception, Friday, February 28 from 5:30 t 7:30 PM

A number of photographers have work in this juried show including Robin Black, Richard Castillo, Sandy Follett, Tony Hertz, David Hoffman, David Lee, Marek Matusz, G Dan Mitchell (I'm sure I've heard that name somewhere... ;-), William Neill, Glenn Nelson, Nancy Robbins, George Robertson, Keith Walklet.

I'll be at the reception - and then photographing in the Valley for a few days - and I hope to see some of you there!

Dan

Feb 09, 2014 at 08:05 PM
roguecoolman
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Horsetail Fall in Yosemite

I was there on Friday to try to catch the snow but it rained in the lower valley and the snow got washed out. Fog set in and blocked all the nice morning light so I didn't get what I was after. Hope you guys get clear skies for horsetail.

Dan, are you only going to be there on feb 28th?

Jason

Feb 09, 2014 at 11:17 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Horsetail Fall in Yosemite

Jason, it looks like I'll be there through the weekend.

Dan

Feb 10, 2014 at 01:38 AM
markcapilitan
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Horsetail Fall in Yosemite

Update from inside the park today 11th feb, I just drove past horsetail and its dry again. It was flowing nicely yesterday but today its gone. Upper yosemite falls is much weaker today also than yesterday.

At 2pm it was dry. At 5pm it was flowing again!!

Edited on Feb 11, 2014 at 09:10 PM · View previous versions

Feb 11, 2014 at 05:17 PM
CarlG
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Horsetail Fall in Yosemite

markcapilitan wrote:
Update from inside the park today 11th feb, I just drove past horsetail and its dry again. It was flowing nicely yesterday but today its gone. Upper yosemite falls is much weaker today also than yesterday.

It's going to take many days/weeks of heavy rain/snow to bring things back to normal....the ground is so dry, any runoff is going to be like a flash flood...quick and short-lived.

Feb 11, 2014 at 05:32 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Horsetail Fall in Yosemite

One of the things to remember about Horsetail is that it is fed by runoff from a relatively low-elevation area. The recent storm likely dropped a fair amount of rain in that basin and not too much snow - so there was some initial runoff but it is likely to slow quickly unless there is more rain.

And there may be. The forecast includes the potential for another frontal passage this weekend, with hints of something the following week as well.

Dan

Feb 11, 2014 at 07:40 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Horsetail Fall in Yosemite

gdanmitchell wrote:
One of the things to remember about Horsetail is that it is fed by runoff from a relatively low-elevation area. The recent storm likely dropped a fair amount of rain in that basin and not too much snow - so there was some initial runoff but it is likely to slow quickly unless there is more rain.

And there may be. The forecast includes the potential for another frontal passage this weekend, with hints of something the following week as well.

Dan

Hey Dan,

Hopefully there is more moisture coming in, the problem is it will more than likely be like this last storm in that the water only flowed at Horsetail as it was raining and shortly after. But the issue is that most often there will still be clouds in the sky from the rain which will block the sun from lighting the water up. Hopefully some people can get some good shots of Horsetail Falls on Fire, but at this point it's definitely not looking as good as in years past when there was snow and ice up on top that would melt during the day and flow down.

Jim

Feb 11, 2014 at 09:35 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Horsetail Fall in Yosemite

JimFox wrote:
Hopefully there is more moisture coming in, the problem is it will more than likely be like this last storm in that the water only flowed at Horsetail as it was raining and shortly after. But the issue is that most often there will still be clouds in the sky from the rain which will block the sun from lighting the water up. Hopefully some people can get some good shots of Horsetail Falls on Fire, but at this point it's definitely not looking as good as in years past when there was snow and ice up on top that
...Show more

It definitely is a less promising year. The ideal flow conditions come from a reasonably thick snow pack in the basin (which we do not have) with warming conditions to accelerate melting - and, even better, perhaps a warm storm that drops some rain on the snow.

According to the national newscasts, the California drought was "broken" last seek of the "Pineapple Express" storm that came through. People might have heard reports of a foot or more of rain. One report I read mentioned some place that supposedly had 20 inches. But these stories are misleading. I some areas north of San Francisco there was, in fact, a big storm. Some areas that had been at less than 20% of normal precipitation went to perhaps 40% or more over the weekend. But many other areas received a lot less rain - they, and even the areas that got rain, are still far behind normal precipitation levels.

I heard that the Valley got about 2 1/2 inches out of this storm. Good to get that, and it did bring waterfalls back to life, but we're still way behind.

Folks who are going to the Valley this month to look for Horsetail should a) watch for short-term weather conditions and b) count themselves lucky to be in this Valley with so many other photographic subjects! Oh, and keep an eye on the sky conditions to the west of the Valley!

Dan

Feb 11, 2014 at 10:10 PM
phil hawkins
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Horsetail Fall in Yosemite

markcapilitan wrote:

At 2pm it was dry. At 5pm it was flowing again!!

You mean dry like this? Sorry, but HT does not go dry during the day and then start up again. It's flowing more water right now than in recent memory. This shot was taken before peak light, and died right after this was taken. So, the quest continues. You must have been looking at the area to the left of HT, which looks very similar.

FYI, Gary Hart and I have been up here all week leading groups shooting HT and it's freaking gushing by comparison of the last several years. The crowds are smaller due to the drought... but HT is rockin'!!! And a BIG storm coming the middle of next week.

Feb 12, 2014 at 11:45 PM
CW100
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Horsetail Fall in Yosemite

phil hawkins wrote:
You mean dry like this? Sorry, but HT does not go dry during the day and then start up again. It's flowing more water right now than in recent memory. This shot was taken before peak light, and died right after this was taken. So, the quest continues. You must have been looking at the area to the left of HT, which looks very similar.

FYI, Gary Hart and I have been up here all week leading groups shooting HT and it's freaking gushing by comparison of the last several years. The crowds are smaller due to the drought...
...Show more

good timing on the light!

Feb 13, 2014 at 07:58 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.