New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2014 · Hard case for LEE filters

Game Changer
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Hard case for LEE filters

Anyone have a recommendation for a hard case for Lee filters? My Big Stopper came with a metal case, but all the others have soft cases.

Thanks,

Mike

Feb 09, 2014 at 12:41 PM
Ben Horne
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Hard case for LEE filters

It isn't a hard case so to say, but take a look at the Clik Elite filter holder. I've seen several different designs for these sort of cases, but this one is a very good design. Most of the others fall short in one way or another. You can also use this to store standard thread-in filters alongside your grads and big stopper.

One of the things I like about this case is that when you put grads in this case, they don't slide against material on both sides leading to potential scratches. Instead, it touches only the edges. When you close the case the filters are held in place with soft padded dividers.

http://clikelite.com/product/accessories/square-filter-valet/

Feb 09, 2014 at 12:59 PM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Hard case for LEE filters

do a search on BH for 'filter pouch' and there are lots of choices; not a lot of hard ones though.

but...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/154731-REG/B_W_65041410_Plastic_Filter_Case_E.html

Feb 09, 2014 at 01:22 PM
Copypaste
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Hard case for LEE filters

Just get the big pouch (book-like) that can hold 10 or so. It gives more than enough protection.

Feb 09, 2014 at 01:30 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Hard case for LEE filters

this is where my fliters and holder reside
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/736041-REG/Lowepro_LP36259_0AM_S_F_Filter_Pouch_100.html

Feb 10, 2014 at 12:33 AM
Game Changer
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Hard case for LEE filters

Thanks for the recommendations! I think I will order the Lowe's and the Cliklite and see which one I prefer. I realize most of the filters are resin and a lot stronger than they seem/feel.

Feb 10, 2014 at 07:04 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Hard case for LEE filters

the Lowe has a removable inner pocket assy via Velcro. this makes cleaning out easier materieals used are much less apt to hold crud. I also thing the inner slot pocket might be replaceable by contacting Lowe. haven't needed to though.

I have a combination of Schneider/Lee/SR glass and resin the holder and a second adapter ring in it.

Feb 10, 2014 at 09:03 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Hard case for LEE filters

Not hard, but I really like it and it fits in my vest pocket. I have 2 Lee and 2 SingRay rectangulars and a 4x4 glass polarizer and a couple of circular filters.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/773361-REG/Clik_Elite_CE725RE_Square_Filter_Valet_Red.html

Feb 10, 2014 at 12:41 PM
Mike K
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Hard case for LEE filters

sjms wrote:
this is where my fliters and holder reside
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/736041-REG/Lowepro_LP36259_0AM_S_F_Filter_Pouch_100.html

I also use the Lowepro referenced above. The sides are a stiff foam padding with a removable, sleeve insert for the filters. I fit about 6 100X150 mm GND (or 100X100 mm ND) filers along with the Cokin Z or Lee Foundation holder in this case. I can even fit a TSE 17 adapter for the Lee holder, about 7/8" deep. It all fits and seems quite secure.
Mike K

Feb 10, 2014 at 02:12 PM
Mike K
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Hard case for LEE filters

New Product available in March, FILTER HIVE

Filter case that is designed for 4X6" Lee filters, adapter rings, plus 6 round filters up to 82mm.
This company is a spin off from Think Tank, and the product does come with a few unique innovations

http://www.mindshiftgear.com/products/filter-hive

Mike K

Feb 10, 2014 at 11:49 PM
Adam612

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Hard case for LEE filters

+1 for the Lowepro pouch. It's a good design and significantly cheaper than most of the competing products. I have a Big Stopper, 4x4 CPL, several 4x6 ND grads/reverse grads, the Lee filter holder/adapter ring and a plastic Lee lens cap in it with a few slots to spare. I put a 4x6 grey card on each end to provide a bit of an extra wall in case of impact. I haven't broken a filter yet...knock on wood. The fact that you can clip it on your belt or pack makes it very convenient when you're trying to swap filters quickly in tricky situations.

That said, I've been looking for a durable, hard-sided case that will fit the filter pouch with little to no wasted space. I still worry about the pouch getting crushed when I'm traveling, so if anyone has a good recommendation for one I'd like to hear it.

Feb 11, 2014 at 12:19 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Hard case for LEE filters

Mike K wrote:

Filter case that is designed for 4X6" Lee filters, adapter rings, plus 6 round filters up to 82mm.
This company is a spin off from Think Tank, and the product does come with a few unique innovations

Mike K

I love complexity and its price too.

Feb 11, 2014 at 05:56 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Hard case for LEE filters

I have the Clik Eltie one mentioned in the first reply above. It is a great product, I don't think you need anything more bulky, more complicated or hard sided. I have a nice set of filters in there that I never use....seems to be the trend with filters, we all get excited about them at some point in time, waste a tonne of cash on them, use them like crazy for a short time and then realize we can do it all with stacking or exposure bracketing much easier and faster....I wish I could motivate myself to use my set....but so far I can't

Feb 12, 2014 at 08:59 AM
Boccanegra

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Hard case for LEE filters

I use a GION filter pouch to hold several 4x6 Progrey filters and a ClearWhite 4x6 neutral gray card. It doesn't have a hard shell but it is nice and very convenient. It has 6 - 4x6 slots, so I use 5 of the slots for filters and one for the gray card. It can also attach to a belt if you want.

Feb 15, 2014 at 11:03 PM
unclemikey
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Hard case for LEE filters

Mike K wrote:

Mike K

I have my order in for this one. I think this will really help organize and use the filters. It is big but I think it will be worth the wait and cost.

Feb 25, 2014 at 01:46 PM
unclemikey
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Hard case for LEE filters

sjms wrote:
I love complexity and its price too.

SJMS, sarcasm well noted and appreciated. But $55 bucks to protect $1000 worth of filters, doesn't seem really pricey to me. The Lee Filter Kit is also big but not as well organized and cost more than the Filter Hive. Plus....it doesn't hang from my tripod.

Feb 25, 2014 at 01:52 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Hard case for LEE filters

you mean the same filters that i travel around with in the $25 Lowe Pro for 2 years now? sorry i only have $950 worth in mine

Schneider, SR , Lee.

Feb 27, 2014 at 10:05 AM
unclemikey
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Hard case for LEE filters

sjms wrote:
you mean the same filters that i travel around with in the $25 Lowe Pro for 2 years now? sorry i only have $950 worth in mine

Schneider, SR , Lee.

Yes, I mean those and LowePro makes some very good equipment.

Feb 27, 2014 at 10:13 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Hard case for LEE filters

some yes but far too few in-between with the sheer amount they market unfortunately.

Feb 27, 2014 at 10:20 AM
unclemikey
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Hard case for LEE filters

sjms wrote:
some yes but far too few in-between with the sheer amount they market unfortunately.

Agreed, but like anything else in camera and photo equipment you cherry pick the best that line has to offer
and ignore the rest.

I shoot Nikon cameras but have a variety of different manufacturers lenses. I do the same with camera bags and pouches. I don't really
care about mix and match equipment if it does the job.

Feb 27, 2014 at 11:55 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.