Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1      
2
       3              8       9       end
  

New Fujifilm XF lens Rebates. Savings up to $250
  
 
millsart
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · New Fujifilm XF lens Rebates. Savings up to $250


Problem with a FF, if/when it even comes, is that look at how long its taken Fuji to finally get a pretty complete lens lineup.

I bought an XPro right when they came out and all I had to choose from was the 35mm f1.4 and the 18mm f2.0. The 35mm is a great lens, but thats basically it. There were no wide options or zooms etc

Same thing happened when I got the FF A7r, had two native lens options, the 35 or the 55. Again, no native wide primes or anything.

I'd think kind of long and hard before 1) wishing for FF, and 2) before buying into a new mount because your going to be stuck with limited options for a while.

Real strength of Fuji right now is all the great glass, even if it is APS-C. 14mm f2.8, the 23mm f1.4, the new 56mm f1.2. Fast, sharp primes at 21/35/85mm make for a great kit (IMO)



Feb 09, 2014 at 06:55 PM
TMaG82
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · New Fujifilm XF lens Rebates. Savings up to $250


Jman13 wrote:
I picked up the 27 pancake because I'd been wanting one for a while, but didn't want to pay $450. It's a very good lens (I reviewed it this past summer), but for $450, I thought it should have been an f/2. But at $199? That's a steal. It'll pretty much live on my X-M1 for times I want a very small package.


That's good to hear that you think so Jordan, I like reading your reviews and I was thinking of getting that one.

I'm going to start building my Fuji lens collection in anticipation of the X-T1.

Of the ones that are on sale, how would you rank them?



Feb 09, 2014 at 06:56 PM
Jman13
Online
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · New Fujifilm XF lens Rebates. Savings up to $250


TMaG82 wrote:
That's good to hear that you think so Jordan, I like reading your reviews and I was thinking of getting that one.

I'm going to start building my Fuji lens collection in anticipation of the X-T1.

Of the ones that are on sale, how would you rank them?


There's really not a bad lens in the bunch to be honest. The 14mm, though, is near flawless. No distortion, razor sharp corner to corner, excellent color and contrast....it's the best wide angle I've ever used. The 23mm is probably next best....truly outstanding lens. The 60/2.4 is very good (though not the quickest to focus), and the 35/1.4, while a little soft on the edges wide open, is plenty sharp in the center and mid frame at f/1.4 and extremely sharp stopped down. I'm a big fan of the 55-200, which is excellent at all focal lengths and has very nice bokeh for a zoom lens (well, it's nice for any lens). The 27 is probably near the bottom, but only because it's rather unremarkable...it's got a moderate aperture, is plenty sharp, has merely OK bokeh, but it's super tiny.

If I had to put an 'optical ranking' together, I'd probably put them: 14, 23, 60, 35, 55-200, 27, 18...but these are degrees of good. Though I have minimal experience with the 18mm.



Feb 09, 2014 at 07:11 PM
carstenw
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #4 · New Fujifilm XF lens Rebates. Savings up to $250


millsart wrote:
Problem with a FF, if/when it even comes, is that look at how long its taken Fuji to finally get a pretty complete lens lineup.

I bought an XPro right when they came out and all I had to choose from was the 35mm f1.4 and the 18mm f2.0. The 35mm is a great lens, but thats basically it. There were no wide options or zooms etc


The 60 was the first lens out, wasn't it? That is a 28/50/90 combo, and the standard zoom followed soon after.



Feb 09, 2014 at 07:38 PM
kewlcanon
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #5 · New Fujifilm XF lens Rebates. Savings up to $250


I'd go cheap . I like the 18mm the most. 35mm 2nd. 60mm not much. 55-200mm rarely use it at all .

millsart wrote:
Fast, sharp primes at 21/35/85mm make for a great kit (IMO)




Feb 09, 2014 at 07:42 PM
millsart
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #6 · New Fujifilm XF lens Rebates. Savings up to $250


carstenw wrote:
The 60 was the first lens out, wasn't it? That is a 28/50/90 combo, and the standard zoom followed soon after.



I think it was released around the same time, however, I remember trying it in the shop and it was so slow to AF it didn't feel very useable. I mean it would take a few seconds to focus slow.

Fuji's AF system has come such a long ways since its introduction a few years ago.

I can't remember when the 18-55 zoom came out, I think it was a while, at least until it was released.


Granted, if you enjoy the 28/50/90 kit, and are okay with the rather poor optically 18mm, and the painfully slow 60mm, then you'd probably be happy, but I just found those focal lengths a bit boring and pretty much stuck with just the 35mm, which was a good lens.

Its just what you face with a new system, no getting around it really.

Same thing I had when I bought into the NEX system, and same thing as when I first bought into m4/3 ages ago. 14-45 and 45-200 zooms were all there was, til finally the 20mm f1.7 came along.

Still holds true today with the A7(r) and if/when a new FF Fuji mount comes along, its going to be the same thing.

No one rolls out a new mount with a mature lens lineup it seems



Feb 09, 2014 at 07:55 PM
tennclay
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #7 · New Fujifilm XF lens Rebates. Savings up to $250


Just when I was about to put my X-Pro kit up for sale - I bought a Sony FF and have no need to use it very much now - Fuji bites me again! It is a nice kit, but I don't think I have ever bought camera gear that proved to have such low resell value. But I had fun with it..


Feb 09, 2014 at 08:50 PM
fsiagian
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #8 · New Fujifilm XF lens Rebates. Savings up to $250


tennclay wrote:
Just when I was about to put my X-Pro kit up for sale - I bought a Sony FF and have no need to use it very much now - Fuji bites me again! It is a nice kit, but I don't think I have ever bought camera gear that proved to have such low resell value. But I had fun with it..


Buy second hand



Feb 09, 2014 at 09:21 PM
paparazzinick
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #9 · New Fujifilm XF lens Rebates. Savings up to $250


For those that say the 18 isn't that great of a lens, I have to disagree. I love the 18. It focuses just fine, is very sharp and just feels right.


Feb 09, 2014 at 09:50 PM
TMaG82
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #10 · New Fujifilm XF lens Rebates. Savings up to $250


Jman13 wrote:
There's really not a bad lens in the bunch to be honest. The 14mm, though, is near flawless. No distortion, razor sharp corner to corner, excellent color and contrast....it's the best wide angle I've ever used. The 23mm is probably next best....truly outstanding lens. The 60/2.4 is very good (though not the quickest to focus), and the 35/1.4, while a little soft on the edges wide open, is plenty sharp in the center and mid frame at f/1.4 and extremely sharp stopped down. I'm a big fan of the 55-200, which is excellent at all focal lengths and has very
...Show more

Thanks for that. I hate you now. I'll have to make a tough decision. I was going to skip the 60 but as I hear it's sharp. I'm going to wait until I get te XT-1 though, it's silly to buy a ton of glass without a body.

Though I might just get a X-M1 and get the 27 for the wife.



Feb 09, 2014 at 10:04 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



tennclay
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #11 · New Fujifilm XF lens Rebates. Savings up to $250


fsiagian wrote:
Buy second hand



I did - but I didn't wait long enough! The price crash still burned me!


Edited on Feb 09, 2014 at 10:07 PM · View previous versions



Feb 09, 2014 at 10:06 PM
jcolwell
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #12 · New Fujifilm XF lens Rebates. Savings up to $250


Jman13 wrote:
...If I had to put an 'optical ranking' together, I'd probably put them: 14, 23, 60, 35, 55-200, 27, 18...but these are degrees of good. Though I have minimal experience with the 18mm.


I'd rank the 27mm above the 55-200mm, and I haven't tried the 23mm because I'm good with the X100s; otherwise, I'd rank 'em the same.



Feb 09, 2014 at 10:06 PM
fsiagian
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #13 · New Fujifilm XF lens Rebates. Savings up to $250


The 27mm is actually $199. Wow. Will you buy it if you already have a 23mm? Very tempting.


Feb 09, 2014 at 10:12 PM
mfoto
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #14 · New Fujifilm XF lens Rebates. Savings up to $250




Jman13 wrote:
...If I had to put an 'optical ranking' together, I'd probably put them: 14, 23, 60, 35, 55-200, 27, 18...but these are degrees of good. Though I have minimal experience with the 18mm.

jcolwell
I'd rank the 27mm above the 55-200mm, and I haven't tried the 23mm because I'm good with the X100s; otherwise, I'd rank 'em the same.


Makes the 14 even more tempting... hmmmm XT-1 or XF 14 ?



Feb 09, 2014 at 10:14 PM
paparazzinick
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #15 · New Fujifilm XF lens Rebates. Savings up to $250


What do you have now? If you have an xe2 then get the 14 and wait on the xt1.

mfoto wrote:
Makes the 14 even more tempting... hmmmm XT-1 or XF 14 ?




Feb 09, 2014 at 11:07 PM
paparazzinick
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #16 · New Fujifilm XF lens Rebates. Savings up to $250


I have the 23 and ordered the 27. It's only $200 so why not?

fsiagian wrote:
The 27mm is actually $199. Wow. Will you buy it if you already have a 23mm? Very tempting.




Feb 09, 2014 at 11:08 PM
fsiagian
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #17 · New Fujifilm XF lens Rebates. Savings up to $250


paparazzinick wrote:
I have the 23 and ordered the 27. It's only $200 so why not?



Hihi I like that



Feb 09, 2014 at 11:09 PM
AbramG
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #18 · New Fujifilm XF lens Rebates. Savings up to $250


Sweeeeet I've been waiting to jump on the 14mm to finish my kit. I am now covered for everything that I would want out of this system.

This was an unexpected and pleasant surprise



Feb 10, 2014 at 12:04 AM
rattymouse
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #19 · New Fujifilm XF lens Rebates. Savings up to $250


AbramG wrote:
Sweeeeet I've been waiting to jump on the 14mm to finish my kit. I am now covered for everything that I would want out of this system.

This was an unexpected and pleasant surprise


Unexpected? Fujifilm has had blow out pricing on their lenses several times the past few years. There's no way I'd pay full price for a Fujifilm lens simply because they have had so many sales where it is easy to get $100,$200, etc off full price.

Fujifilm prices are way out of line and the fact that they need these big sales over and over again shows that price reductions are needed in order to move product.




Feb 10, 2014 at 12:44 AM
Jman13
Online
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #20 · New Fujifilm XF lens Rebates. Savings up to $250




rattymouse wrote:
Unexpected? Fujifilm has had blow out pricing on their lenses several times the past few years. There's no way I'd pay full price for a Fujifilm lens simply because they have had so many sales where it is easy to get $100,$200, etc off full price.

Fujifilm prices are way out of line and the fact that they need these big sales over and over again shows that price reductions are needed in order to move product.



I disagree wholeheartedly. I think Fuji's lens prices are very affordable for the quality of glass you get. The 14mm is simply phenomenal. If the same lens had the word Zeiss on it, they'd charge $1200-1400 and no one would blink. These lenses are a very high quality set and the prices are very reasonable given hoe good they are. And all manufacturers run sales throughout the year.



Feb 10, 2014 at 12:52 AM
1      
2
       3              8       9       end




FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1      
2
       3              8       9       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password