Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              6       7       end

10,000th Post

KirkB
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 10,000th Post

Congratulations to KirkB for winning Feature Thread of the Week with 4 votes - View Previous Winners

First of all, a huge thanks to you Fred for creating this wonderful community and resource center that serves so many in really wonderful ways. In my opinion this is the best website of its kind… period.

I’ve been an active member of this community since October 2008 and have enjoyed every single visit since joining. I have learned from almost everyone here, and will keep learning as so many of you continue to raise the bar with your excellent work. Thank you for teaching me and pushing me to always be better.

Of course, what makes this such a great place to hang out and sharpen each other as we hone our skills in this addiction errr... passion we call Nature & Wildlife photography… is your friendship. It’s amazing to me how much I enjoy this community of friends, most of whom I have never met face to face. Thanks for your friendship.

Always difficult to select “favorite” images for me (probably for you too)… so here are 40 images that are favorites of mine (mostly because I was VERY proud of them at the time) over the last 5+ years. They are mostly in chronological order and they are displayed as originally processed to give you an idea of just how much you’ve taught and improved me.

Thanks for making FMN&W the wonderful community that it is… it’s a genuine pleasure to be part of it.

Kirk

1. Oct 2008 - This is my first post (after lurking for several months)... I chased this Osprey around Bolsa Chica for 2.5 hours one afternoon. It was totally worth it.

2. Jun 2008 - This was taken at the Alaskan Raptor Center in Sitka. It's a facility to rehabilitate injured birds.

3. Dec 2008 - Belted Kingfisher - VERY proud to get this bullet at Bolsa Chica

4. Jan 2009 - Western Bluebird ~ One of my all-time faves

5. Apr 2009 - Avocets right after mating

6. May 2009 - Avocet Chicks

7. May 2009 - First time meeting and shooting with Tim Kuhn when he visited the pond. The price we pay for eye level shots is ants all over you in about 10 seconds.

8. Jul 2009 - Indigo Bunting in my wife's cousin's backyard in Arkansas

9. Nov 2009 - Peeps on a foggy morning at the pond

10. Dec 2009 - Reddish Egret

11. Jul 2010 - Black-necked Stilt

12. Jul 2010 - Black Skimmer

13. Aug 2010 - Blue-winged Teal

14. Aug 2010 - 1st year Peep

15. Nov 2010 - Black-crowned Night Heron ~ I was so proud to get this capture, still one of my all-time faves.

16. Dec 2010 - Greenie

17. Jan 2011 - Long-billed Curlew

18. Jan 2011 - Peregrine Falcon ~ One of my all-time faves for that killer stare.

19. May 2011 - Brown Pelican ~ Love this one a lot.

20. Jun 2011 - Avocet chick

21. Oct 2012 - California Condor at the Grand Canyon ~ Totally unprepared shooting landscapes with my 18-70... but I love the way this turned out at 70mm.

22. Nov 2012 - Willet

23. Dec 2012 - American Kestrel

24. Dec 2012 - GBH

25. Jan 2013 - Northern Shoveler ~ First outing with the D800... love that camera.

26. Feb 2013 - Cinnamon Teal

27. Feb 2013 - White-faced Ibis

28. Mar 2013 - Avocet

29. Mar 2013 - Short-billed Dowitcher in that magical pond light

30. Apr 2013 - Northern Shoveler ~ One of my very favorite DIF's

31. Apr 2013 - Cormie

32. May 2013 - Anna's Hummer at the natural rock fountain at my local hospital

33. May 2013 - Avocet

34. Aug 2013 - Horned Grebe ~ This guy loved the camera on two different occasions... actually came within MFD several times.

35. Sep 2013 - Black-necked Stilt

36. Dec 2013 - Avocet Ballet

37. Jan 2014 - Blue-winged Teal

38. Dec 2013 - Cinnamon Teal (I know focus is just a tad off but I still like it )

39. Dec 2013 - Peregrine Falcon (really had a good couple of weeks with the PF's at the pond)

40. Nov 2013 - Frosty Elk just outside of Gatlinburg TN

Feb 09, 2014 at 07:23 AM
Psychic1
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 10,000th Post

Congratulations.

Feb 09, 2014 at 07:46 AM
tfoltz
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 10,000th Post

Hi Kirk, Congratulations on your 10,000 and what a selection of photos you posted from over the years.
I still tell everyone about your Osprey/Shark combo from years ago, and I have enjoyed
your photos and comments and I'm looking forward to many more in the future.
You are one of my many friends on FM and one that I actually bump into from time to time.
So keep up the great work and here's to 10,000 more…

-Tim

Feb 09, 2014 at 08:34 AM
mitesh
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 10,000th Post

Awesome selection, Kirk! Congratulations on your milestone post! I know I always enjoy a thread from you, so please keep them coming! I can honestly say that it was your avocet and stilt images that showed me what a good low angle does for wading bird/waterfowl images. So, thank you for the education !

Feb 09, 2014 at 08:53 AM
MS PHOTO
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 10,000th Post

Congrats Kirk on 10,000 , keep posting
Paul

Feb 09, 2014 at 11:40 AM
David Leask
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 10,000th Post

Kirk, congratulations on reaching 10k! I echo everything you said about the forum .... for me it's the place to be on the net
Thanks back at ya for all your support to me and others here.
You have posted an absolutely wonderful set of images for us to feast our eyes on. I think I might just manage to match the quality of #1 (the jury is still out ) but I'm afraid I can't measure up to the others - they are awesome!
Best,
David

Feb 09, 2014 at 12:52 PM
Plinian
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 10,000th Post

A wonderful and inspiring post, Kirk, for both the images, the captions, and the history!

Image-wise, my favorites are 7,20,26,28,37, with 20 one of my all-time favorites on the forum.

History-wise, the post captures what we all love about the forum...a chance to share and reinforce our passion for wildlife, the opportunity to refine and improve a complex skill, and the awareness that the avocation can last for a lifetime, or at least 10,000 posts!

Greg

Feb 09, 2014 at 01:09 PM
Tim Kuhn
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 10,000th Post

Okay, let me give you some tips, glad you numbered these..

Who's Kirk and who cares

Oh wow Kirk, this set just rocked my morning. First off a very heartfelt congrats on the 10k post. If there was ever a photographer here who has consistently posted strong images it's you. Your work is always of the highest order, the techs are spot on and you have one the best eyes out there. You can take a take a tight shot and work magic with it. If there was ever a photographer that create magic with challenging gear it's you my friend. For years you blew us away with 300mm shots and only recently 420mm showing us it isn't all about the gear. It ALL about the person behind the gear.

Okay now this tour de force of a post. I opened it up and it really surprised me just how many of these images I remember from when they were first posted. The first standout is the Osprey with the Shark. Wow talk about a lifer of an image!!! That also had me checking dates in my head, have I really known you that long? Yes indeed. So many standout shots here my friend, this is an incredible post. If I had to seriously pick standouts, here are a few and why;
6 because I have some from the same time period. That was the first time I met you. You stood out from the crowd with your technique, yes getting covered with ants was part of the technique. The smirk on your face when I raised the issue of getting covered with ants was the deal sealer
9 it shows that's all about the light, even foggy light
17 love the eye contact on the fish
20 don't know that one but wow!
21 wow
38 yeah I like it too
39 wish it was mine
40 cause it is out of your comfort zone

Those are just a taste from this superb feast for the eyes.

Another congrats and a tip of the hat to one of the best

Tim
ps, we are working out plans to head your way in the near future

Feb 09, 2014 at 01:37 PM
Karl Witt
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 10,000th Post

Kirk...........

For those that don't know you yet have just been given a lesson on just how good you truly are as a photographer and post processor An impeccable set of Eye Candy here my good friend, whew this trip down memory lane is a sheer delight!

Congratulations on entering the 10k zone, that is a lot of effort and a lot of fun over this period of time. You have shots here with a lens shorter than most every use for this type of work yet you are on top of your game and setting the bar of excellence at new levels You have used your gear and knowledge and 'love for what you like to do' to great levels and I know you are turning the corner into a new zone very soon

I have thoroughly enjoyed your work, our exchanges of commentary and PM's as well as a few phone calls. OK buddy...................Continue on please

AwwwwwSomeNess!
Karl

PS could ya do some florals sometime

Feb 09, 2014 at 01:56 PM
arbitrage
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 10,000th Post

Congrats Kirk....these images are amazing....since I've been visiting FM for only a couple years I have always seen some of this forums best work come from your posts. Just as Tim mentions I remember all of these latest images from when they were first shared with us because of how remarkable they are. I would be happy if when I reach 10,000 posts that I could put up just a fraction of images that would compare to these

I will now go back and closely view each image and really think to myself why each of these connects so well with me....I hope that will give me more ideas to improve my images.

Thanks for sharing all of this in one amazing post.....TOTW?...maybe TOTY.....

Geoff

Feb 09, 2014 at 02:10 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Ted ellis
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 10,000th Post

Kirk:

Congrats on 10k. All images are fantastic and many are stunning. I don't have a wine smiley face cheers.

Ted

Feb 09, 2014 at 02:14 PM
DonGut
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 10,000th Post

That's a magical pond and equally magical shooting. IF teals and shovellers and the avocet shots are all top drawer. Keep shooting!! Don

Feb 09, 2014 at 02:27 PM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 10,000th Post

Hi Kirk,

It is great fun to celebrate these milestones and give back to this wonderful forum. It is a pleasure to view your favorite images and to share with you.

Morris

Feb 09, 2014 at 02:29 PM
kmunroe
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 10,000th Post

an excellent post Kirk

Feb 09, 2014 at 02:36 PM
Herb Houghton
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 10,000th Post

Awesome post Kirk, you have some razor sharp images in your collection, especially the duckies. a big congrats on 10K.

Edited on Feb 09, 2014 at 02:42 PM · View previous versions

Feb 09, 2014 at 02:39 PM
Chris Schlaf
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 10,000th Post

Truly excellent work

Feb 09, 2014 at 02:41 PM
eyelaser
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 10,000th Post

It's hard to believe that it's only 10K! But I guess when there's only quality images those linger longer in the memory banks. I remember someone asking about a 300 paired with a 1.4tc and how that would work out....well, it has been a brilliant marriage in your hands. I really know I'm in for a treat when I see your name as the poster....each image is deftly taken and presented.
Your 40 for 10K is a nice retrospective but I can imagine how difficult it must have been to omit so many of your truly great shots especially over the last few years.
My only request is you get to 20K faster!
Eric

Feb 09, 2014 at 02:51 PM
billybojimbob

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 10,000th Post

Wow great work Kirk
Derrick

Feb 09, 2014 at 02:56 PM
BeeBalm
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 10,000th Post

Hi Kirk,
A big congratulations on 10K posts

Your posts are always photographed with love! Always enjoy them!

Some standouts even though they all are wonderful!

Pix 20 Avocet Chick
Pix 26 Cinnamon Teal
Pix 28 Avocet

Congratulations on great work!

BeeBalm

Feb 09, 2014 at 03:56 PM
Lightsearcher
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 10,000th Post

Kirk,

What a great way to celebrate your 10.000 post.

Beautiful and inspiring work.

Marcelo

Feb 09, 2014 at 04:06 PM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password