New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · D3s exposure issue

blutch
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · D3s exposure issue

I've been using Aperture priority lately on my D3s shooting birds and shot an indoor tennis match the other night... Using CL mode i am getting wildly varying exposures when burst shooting in A-priority. one frame will be 1/200th and the next one will be 1/2000th. Seems to be the same whether I'm using single point or matrix metering.

Is this normal?

B

Feb 08, 2014 at 03:51 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · D3s exposure issue

Cycling lights? I'm thinkin' yeah.
Workin' rodeo arenas I found sometimes 4 different types of lighting.
My best results were CH, bursts of 3 and typically 1 was dead on re: WB
FWIW I always use spot

Feb 08, 2014 at 04:06 PM
blutch
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · D3s exposure issue

That makes sense TM. But, it sometimes seems to happen outside. I haven't tested it though....

Feb 08, 2014 at 04:56 PM
John Skinner
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · D3s exposure issue

As a stupid insert here... You haven't switched out from matrix to center weighted or spot on the prism side setting?

This is kind of a weird issue I've found also whilst shooting birds or out in the nature area. And with it taking place, I'm not really sure if it's taking place with just my 300, the 200-400, or all the time

I've just seen it on the LCD chimping and then the exposures are not THAT off when I get back home. Although if my feet were held to the fire (even using a hoodman loupe) I would swear that I'm over exposing. But some look normal.. others are looking over.

I've not worked it out as the end results at home look okay.

But other than the metering settings up top.. I'm stymied.

Feb 08, 2014 at 05:34 PM
Owlcat
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · D3s exposure issue

Are you using auto iso and are your subjects moving through widely varying light sources?

Feb 09, 2014 at 03:34 AM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · D3s exposure issue

I did this not long ago also with the D3s, it's embarrassing I know ...... you've accidentally switched on Bracketing. Switch it off and all will be well with the world.

Feb 09, 2014 at 04:57 AM
pw-pix
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · D3s exposure issue

Yep, accidental bracketing is a likely cause.

Feb 09, 2014 at 05:07 AM
blutch
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · D3s exposure issue

Owlcat wrote:
Are you using auto iso and are your subjects moving through widely varying light sources?

No. Fixed ISO.

Feb 09, 2014 at 12:09 PM
blutch
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · D3s exposure issue

It isn't bracketing either... One shot is 1/200th and almost dark and the very next in the burst is 1/2000th and about right..

Feb 09, 2014 at 12:10 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · D3s exposure issue

blutch wrote:
It isn't bracketing either... One shot is 1/200th and almost dark and the very next in the burst is 1/2000th and about right..

Is this a typo (reversed) or is the 1/200 really almost dark but the 1/2000 having the right exposure?

Feb 09, 2014 at 12:19 PM
blutch
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · D3s exposure issue

Just ran a little test of 8 quick burst frames. Did it twice. First one the 4th and 5th frame ended up 1/5000th and all the others were 1/6400. The second one all 8 were 1/6400, so this is obviously something that happens intermittently. It happened a lot on the indoor tennis, but I think TM's explanation of that is very likely. I'm not going to sweat it until it is more common. THnaks for the ideas.

B

Feb 09, 2014 at 12:23 PM
blutch
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · D3s exposure issue

snapsy wrote:
Is this a typo (reversed) or is the 1/200 really almost dark but the 1/2000 having the right exposure?

Duh.. yes. Reversed.. Sorry. That was with the tennis.

B

Feb 09, 2014 at 12:24 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · D3s exposure issue

blutch wrote:
Duh.. yes. Reversed.. Sorry. That was with the tennis.

B

hehe, gotcha. If it only happens during continuous shooting I wonder if the mirror box is not returning to its resting state in between exposures. That would cause the metering sensor to not see the scene correctly. But in that situation I would more expect the aberrant exposure to be over-exposed rather than under-exposed, since a non-resting mirror would block light to the sensor, inducing it to reduce the shutter speed rather than increasing it.

Feb 09, 2014 at 12:28 PM
Wes Bailey
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · D3s exposure issue

blutch wrote:
I've been using Aperture priority lately on my D3s shooting birds and shot an indoor tennis match the other night... Using CL mode i am getting wildly varying exposures when burst shooting in A-priority. one frame will be 1/200th and the next one will be 1/2000th. Seems to be the same whether I'm using single point or matrix metering.

Is this normal?

B

Blutch - I encounter the same problem when shooting roller derby but only under sodium vapor lights that cycle (I shoot a D700, aperture priority). But even worse than varying exposure within a burst I also end up with terrible color casts ranging from red to green. Ugh! I believe Trenchmonkey is right - find out what the lighting is in the tennis venue - most likely sodium vapor.

I saw no difference between shooting CH vs. CL - I believe it is because the lights cycle around 1/60th of second. I didn't like the results when spot metering so I keep it on matrix.

Good luck!

Feb 10, 2014 at 10:45 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.