New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · New to photography

juvx
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · New to photography

Iv recently gotten into photography as a hobby (2-3 months ago) Iv learned so much and studied countless hours so far but I have a LONG LONG way to go. Here are some shots I've taken in the last 2 months please let me know what you think and how i can improve. Thanks for looking.

I have many more pictures on flikr if youd like to take a peek. ficker juvx

Feb 07, 2014 at 12:51 PM
Wildcats_Fans
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · New to photography

I like the 2nd and last photos.

Feb 07, 2014 at 01:29 PM
IonCannon

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · New to photography

Second and last are my picks as well. I would like the second even more if you didn't cut the lower part of the swing off.

Feb 07, 2014 at 02:00 PM
daniginmb

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · New to photography

First and last ones are my favorites! Beautiful

Feb 07, 2014 at 03:35 PM
juvx
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · New to photography

thank you ! Any advice?

Feb 07, 2014 at 08:16 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · New to photography

Welcome to Critique. And to the lifelong learning of a great hobby! Lots to soak up here on FM. With lots of helpful folks at different spots on their own learning curves (comp, processing, lighting, various subjects).
Moving from captures to more successful images requires attention to a variety of elements. And a key question, oft repeated here, is "what is your message?".
The first captures some of the natural beauty of the area, but without any particular area of key interest to engage the viewer.
Second says something about the juxtaposition of the swing and ski area, but the positioning creates more of a blocked view of the slopes, visually stopped by the fir tree.

Third has an implied story of your daughter (?) taking in the magnificent scenery. However, she is small in the frame, gets lost in the room. Shooting closer to her eye level and much closer in, placing her on the left side of the frame with the rest of the image featuring what she might be viewing would strengthen the composition/message.
Fourth image: Now you are getting there! A clear relationship within the image, with a potential to fill in the story a number of ways. A number of technical improvements possible in terms of contrast, color, sharpness, reflection, but the power of the comp helps to trump those. And I think focusing on comps is your first task.
Last one: OK, I am drooling over this home. Apart from offering some view of the house, it feels static. Some lens distortion effecting the verticals seen easily along the window on the left. The swing adds little and, is a bit cut off at the bottom. I am sure there are other views, angles, times of day that might offer more interest. You have some interesting reflections in the windows, and an image that focuses more tightly on that rather than trying to show so much might be more engaging.

Where??
Scott

Feb 08, 2014 at 12:33 PM
jenjca

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · New to photography

NIce shots. I think both the second and last shot would be better if they included the full swing.

Feb 08, 2014 at 05:48 PM
juvx
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · New to photography

@scott
Thanks so much ill focus more on composition like you said.
these were shot in Breckenridge Colorado.

Feb 08, 2014 at 07:03 PM
ziyuchen

[X]
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · New to photography

i like the 2nd and 3rd photographs ,lovely.great job

Feb 09, 2014 at 11:30 AM
Alex Logaiski

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · New to photography

second one is nice)

Feb 09, 2014 at 12:47 PM
bikestech

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · New to photography

Last one looks good however a tad oversaturated (I think). Is it directly from the camera or has it been post processed.

Feb 17, 2014 at 11:19 PM
drea111982

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · New to photography

Three things that I was told when I first started shooting were; shoot so you don't have to fix anything in the darkroom (or post process now), pay attention to your background and pay attention to your cropping.

I agree with what others said, I think both the second and last shot could be improved if they included the full swing.

For the first photo I find just the bottom glow of the sun distracting. I would suggest cropping it out or filling it in with more sky.

Second photo, I would like to see the bottom of the bench seat. I compare cropping this to cropping people off at joints. Something you don't want to do. I'd like to see the whole swing or at least the bottom of the seat/bench cropping it in the middle makes it look a bit off. I do really like the concept of the image.

Third, it looks like the flash might have been too high. Interesting idea for an image.

Fourth, very nice concept. The image looks a bit washed out but a great idea.

Fifth, adjust the crop of the swing so you see the whole swing.

You have good concepts for landscape and architectural photography. Keep shooting!

Feb 22, 2014 at 12:28 AM
juvx
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · New to photography

thank you. I do agree with everyone on the swings.

Feb 23, 2014 at 12:44 AM
bloosky

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · New to photography

I don't know why everyone focused on the swings. I'll pitch in with this:

1. the shot with the girl & window reflection has great potential, too bad it got a little out of hands with focus and exposure (perhaps timing too for better light), but the idea is best to me from all the shots

2. The first shot is worth playing with B&W conversion given how the light had struck the trees, it has great range of contrast and it is likely to work out well in B&W

Last but not least, if you've only started 2 months ago, than you're doing just fine and keep shooting. And ... don't be afraid to NOT follow the rules, especially the ones typically listed in the current crop of photo magazines. Often, experimentation will take you there much faster and will give you a lot more confidence when a quick decision on a shot must be made and there will be no chance to repeat it.

Feb 23, 2014 at 10:48 AM
matt.parker

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · New to photography

On the third image--the flash has harsh shadows which distract from the image overall. It makes it look more like a snapshot. Are you using an external flash? If you bounce the flash at the ceiling it will make a big difference. Experiment with different angles--you can really change the feeling based on where you point the flash.

On the whole, flash photography might be the next step for you--it will force you to think more about lighting in all your compositions, not just the ones where you are using a flash.

Mar 11, 2014 at 11:45 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.