Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              13      
       15       16       17       end

Plz plz plz Canon...low ISO dynamic range!

mttran
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.14 #1 · p.14 #1 · Plz plz plz Canon...low ISO dynamic range!

StillFingerz wrote:
whispering very quietly 'S O N Y has it' but don't tell anyone okay

+1, everyone here see this vision why can't canon? like old said: you can't beat them then joint them. I bet, everyone here (canon included) will be happy in term of cost and performance. Just get the best sensor from sony and call your day canon

Mar 05, 2014 at 06:26 AM
thw2
• • • •
p.14 #2 · p.14 #2 · Plz plz plz Canon...low ISO dynamic range!

I am curious. Why does DXOMark not test Fujifilm sensors?

Mar 05, 2014 at 07:07 AM
kevinsullivan
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.14 #3 · p.14 #3 · Plz plz plz Canon...low ISO dynamic range!

Try the Magic Lantern firmware. It does what you want.

Mar 05, 2014 at 11:16 AM
mttran
• • • • •
p.14 #4 · p.14 #4 · Plz plz plz Canon...low ISO dynamic range!

chez wrote:
Debate is always healthy...but we are far from debating when we start calling people as whiners. We are into insulting at that point.

+1, excellent point...We should put this on FM Wikipedia

Mar 06, 2014 at 04:16 AM
johnctharp
• • • •
p.14 #5 · p.14 #5 · Plz plz plz Canon...low ISO dynamic range!

thw2 wrote:
I am curious. Why does DXOMark not test Fujifilm sensors?

Pure speculation on my part, but I imagine that they're having trouble with the color filter array- most RAW converter houses, including Adobe, find it pretty challenging to deal with.

As in, they don't know how- though I do wish they'd hurry up, as I'd like to see how Fuji is doing compared to their results from other systems!

Of course, I'd love to see them test some medium format digital stuff too, and get into testing adapted lenses, like putting the TS-E L-lenses on the A7R, etc.

Mar 06, 2014 at 04:27 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.14 #6 · p.14 #6 · Plz plz plz Canon...low ISO dynamic range!

StillFingerz wrote:
"Being satisfied with what we already have is a magical golden key to being alive in a full, unrestricted, and inspired way."

A quote from 'The Wisdom of No Escape' by Pema Chodron

love, appreciate and enjoy what you have but always challenge and innovate and explore and push and move forward on the side

Mar 06, 2014 at 04:30 AM
MintMar
• •
p.14 #7 · p.14 #7 · Plz plz plz Canon...low ISO dynamic range!

mttran wrote:
+1, everyone here see this vision why can't canon? like old said: you can't beat them then joint them. I bet, everyone here (canon included) will be happy in term of cost and performance. Just get the best sensor from sony and call your day canon

NIH syndrome may be one of the factors why this isn't happening.

Mar 06, 2014 at 07:40 AM
justruss
• • • •
p.14 #8 · p.14 #8 · Plz plz plz Canon...low ISO dynamic range!

johnctharp wrote:
Pure speculation on my part, but I imagine that they're having trouble with the color filter array- most RAW converter houses, including Adobe, find it pretty challenging to deal with.

As in, they don't know how- though I do wish they'd hurry up, as I'd like to see how Fuji is doing compared to their results from other systems!

This: http://support.dxo.com/entries/22223617-Will-the-camera-Fuji-X-Pro-1-X-E1-X10-XF1-X-S1-X-Pro1-X100s-and-X20-be-supported-

Demosaic for X Trans CFAs has come a long way in the last two years, but it is nowhere near the maturity of normal bayer CFA sensors. All you have to do is see the wildly different output results from say, ACR, Aperture, and Photo Ninja (or Iridient on OS X). Each has strengths and weaknesses for different types of images-- far more so than you see taking a 5D2 RAW file through these various programs.

I'd also be interested in seeing DXO results for Fuji X cameras, but it would be mostly academic anyway. I can get a good sense of what my X-E1 is capable of by shooting it alongside my 5D2. It excels in some areas-- besting the 5D2-- and falls behind in others. Given the silly cheap price, good optics, and size... it's outstanding for what it is. It still has some ways to go in other areas though!

Mar 06, 2014 at 08:07 AM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.14 #9 · p.14 #9 · Plz plz plz Canon...low ISO dynamic range!

StillFingerz wrote:
"Being satisfied with what we already have is a magical golden key to being alive in a full, unrestricted, and inspired way." A quote from 'The Wisdom of No Escape' by Pema Chodron

skibum5 wrote:
love, appreciate and enjoy what you have but always challenge and innovate and explore and push and move forward on the side

Endorse both sentiments. Here in this thread It is important to distinguish between what we can innovate and explore versus what we must accept.

We can't innovate a new sensor and we can't push Canon any harder to innovate. They respond well to market signals but keep in mind that Canon takes a long view. Canon is probably willing to lose a few long-time users to competitve sensors for a while and let some other systems chip away at other users for some amount of time while it develops systems.

When Canon introduced the EOS/EF system it was disruptive to their customer base but because of their long view it was the right decision and won handily in the marketplace while companies like Nikon worked through several different attempts with shaft drives and such before settling on the all-electronic systems now used throughout the industry and proven by Canon's EOS/EF 27 years ago.

The obsessive angst over Canon's sensors repetitively expressed by a few here is utterly useless and will not affect Canon one bit. Similarly the demise of Canon and the withdrawal of the 5D3 they predicted has not happened.

I'm waiting patiently for new sensors and even then won't be the first to buy one anyway. In the meantime I'm pushing forward in areas that I actually have control over or can influence.

Mar 06, 2014 at 11:09 AM
Sneakyracer
• • • •
p.14 #10 · p.14 #10 · Plz plz plz Canon...low ISO dynamic range!

Even 1" Sized sensors have caught up with Canon's 1.6x Size sensors. Canon needs to up their game if not what is the point of a large 1.6x DSLR if much smaller cameras are equally as good. Nikon's APS-C sensor at least offers better performance.

Mar 06, 2014 at 11:38 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

thw2
• • • •
p.14 #11 · p.14 #11 · Plz plz plz Canon...low ISO dynamic range!

Sneakyracer wrote:
Even 1" Sized sensors have caught up with Canon's 1.6x Size sensors. Canon needs to up their game if not what is the point of a large 1.6x DSLR if much smaller cameras are equally as good. Nikon's APS-C sensor at least offers better performance.

I am amused that you have cut off the low light ISO scores of the RX10 vs 70D... where the difference is really substantial (and of course, ignored by DXOMark in their scoring system). Intentional? Sneaky indeed.

Mar 06, 2014 at 11:44 AM
thw2
• • • •
p.14 #12 · p.14 #12 · Plz plz plz Canon...low ISO dynamic range!

Monito wrote:
We can't innovate a new sensor and we can't push Canon any harder to innovate. They respond well to market signals but keep in mind that Canon takes a long view. Canon is probably willing to lose a few long-time users to competitve sensors for a while and let some other systems chip away at other users for some amount of time while it develops systems.

When Canon introduced the EOS/EF system it was disruptive to their customer base but because of their long view it was the right decision and won handily in the marketplace while companies like Nikon worked
...Show more

Well said. I do not know why no one points out the length of time Nikon takes to respond to Canon's all-electronic EOS system.

Mar 06, 2014 at 11:48 AM
Sneakyracer
• • • •
p.14 #13 · p.14 #13 · Plz plz plz Canon...low ISO dynamic range!

thw2 wrote:
I am amused that you have cut off the low light ISO scores of the RX10 vs 70D... where the difference is really substantial (and of course, ignored by DXOMark in their scoring system). Intentional? Sneaky indeed.

Here ya go. It's a 1 stop difference. Very good performance for a 1" sensor which is the same in the pocketable RX100II. The 70D is huge compared to those cameras. At any rate, comparing the 70D to the Olympus the Oly has similar low light performance than the 70D but better color and DR all in a smaller sensor and body, faster fps and great live view AF.

Mar 06, 2014 at 12:08 PM
retrofocus
• • • •
p.14 #14 · p.14 #14 · Plz plz plz Canon...low ISO dynamic range!

Monito wrote:
Canon is probably willing to lose a few long-time users to competitve sensors for a while and let some other systems chip away at other users for some amount of time while it develops systems.

With this point I agree. Even I believe that nobody was able to forsee that e.g. moves so quickly ahead with the A7 series for a competitive FF camera price. Given that this mirrorless camera is not useful for everybody, it provides a lot of opportunity for those who don't need the performance criteria where it is limited.

Waiting is certainly not a mistake. Just I personally decided now to move ahead with the A7R because I have nothing to loose - it will be my compact and IQ-wise powerful camera for traveling which I will use in addition to my MkIIs. If Canon releases at some point a 5D MkIV worthwhile for me to upgrade, I am not in a hurry and would simply buy it later in addition to the A7R. Good thing that the market gives us options now (if you can afford them obviously).

Mar 06, 2014 at 01:19 PM
mttran
• • • • •
p.14 #15 · p.14 #15 · Plz plz plz Canon...low ISO dynamic range!

Mar 08, 2014 at 02:36 AM
chez
• • • • •
p.14 #16 · p.14 #16 · Plz plz plz Canon...low ISO dynamic range!

mttran wrote:

Your intelligence shines through once again.

Mar 08, 2014 at 03:06 AM
rrxjon
• •
p.14 #17 · p.14 #17 · Plz plz plz Canon...low ISO dynamic range!

Plz plz plz ppl… more dynamic dialogue

Mar 08, 2014 at 05:40 AM
PhilDrinkwater
• • •
p.14 #18 · p.14 #18 · Plz plz plz Canon...low ISO dynamic range!

Sneakyracer wrote:
Here ya go. It's a 1 stop difference. Very good performance for a 1" sensor which is the same in the pocketable RX100II. The 70D is huge compared to those cameras. At any rate, comparing the 70D to the Olympus the Oly has similar low light performance than the 70D but better color and DR all in a smaller sensor and body, faster fps and great live view AF.

Those numbers are meaningless. Look at the graphs instead.

http://www.phildweddingphotography.co.uk/2012/11/are-the-dxomark-results-misleading/

Mar 08, 2014 at 02:36 PM
Sneakyracer
• • • •
p.14 #19 · p.14 #19 · Plz plz plz Canon...low ISO dynamic range!

PhilDrinkwater wrote:
Those numbers are meaningless. Look at the graphs instead.

http://www.phildweddingphotography.co.uk/2012/11/are-the-dxomark-results-misleading/

Very good observations. But the D800/E has double the amount of pixels compared to the 1Dx. That is a VERY significant difference. In any given print size the D800/E file will be either down sampled much more when compared to a 1Dx file or up sampled much less. Even if the D800/E had more per pixel noise (which it does not) the files will print cleaner due to downsampling or less up sampling.

That said, the dynamic range advantage of the 1DX at high iso is real and an advantage when working the files shot at iso above 1600. I don't know if the difference in that regard is evened out since one is working with half the pixels in the 1Dx.

Mar 08, 2014 at 03:31 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.14 #20 · p.14 #20 · Plz plz plz Canon...low ISO dynamic range!

chez wrote:
Your intelligence shines through once again.

Bad Chez, no no no insults remember

Mar 08, 2014 at 03:42 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password