Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              16       17       end

Plz plz plz Canon...low ISO dynamic range!

form
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Plz plz plz Canon...low ISO dynamic range!

And fix that stupid delay in your af on 5d3.

But srsly, give us 14 stops of non-chroma-filled shadows at low ISOs and I'll sell off my D800 and not look back...

The shadows are better past ISO3200 on the Canon side (vs the D800 anyway), tis true...less amp glow mostly. Not necessarily better than the D610, but then that is a truncated camera just like the 6D...

And make the AF have no delays in focus acquisition, and make the tracking system smart like the D800/D4 in the next 5d iteration...

I really don't want to continue using dual systems just for that.

(thinking of selling my D800 and swapping it for a D610 to keep the massive dynamic range with somewhat smaller files and less/no amp glow at high ISOs).

Feb 07, 2014 at 04:11 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Plz plz plz Canon...low ISO dynamic range!

Feb 07, 2014 at 04:18 PM
form
• • • •
p.1 #3 · Plz plz plz Canon...low ISO dynamic range!

If, every time I go back to 100% Canon, I don't find myself immediately frustrated with boosting the shadows of the very next daylight or spotty-daylit ceremony and the missed photos due to the delay of the 5d3's one-shot mode during receptions (really, really bad on the 50L), then of course...it'd all be okay and tolerable.

I pretty much only use the 85L and 16-35 (and rarely 24) on the 5d3 anymore. All the other lenses just miss focus and have focus lag during receptions/getting ready stuff that my 5d2s never have. They focus without delays...have since the beginning...and so they nail the shots.

Feb 07, 2014 at 04:25 PM
Sir_Loin
• • •
p.1 #4 · Plz plz plz Canon...low ISO dynamic range!

Feb 07, 2014 at 04:31 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · Plz plz plz Canon...low ISO dynamic range!

Surely you can find someone that will make a custom camera just to suit your needs. A pity that all these other cameras work just fine for all the other pro photographers, but not for you. Must be your extra-high standards, eh?

Feb 07, 2014 at 04:40 PM
kewlcanon
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Plz plz plz Canon...low ISO dynamic range!

Oh well form forgot to take his medicine again

Feb 07, 2014 at 04:41 PM
goosemang
• • •
p.1 #7 · Plz plz plz Canon...low ISO dynamic range!

i just boosted my shadows ten stops and they look great

Feb 07, 2014 at 05:02 PM
dhphoto
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · Plz plz plz Canon...low ISO dynamic range!

goosemang wrote:

If you actually did that they would surely become highlights

Feb 07, 2014 at 05:11 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · Plz plz plz Canon...low ISO dynamic range!

goosemang wrote:

Says Phil, the groundhog . Winter for 6 more weeks...

Feb 07, 2014 at 05:13 PM
dgdg
• • • •
p.1 #10 · Plz plz plz Canon...low ISO dynamic range!

Imagemaster wrote:

Surely you can find someone that will make a custom camera just to suit your needs. A pity that all these other cameras work just fine for all the other pro photographers, but not for you. Must be your extra-high standards, eh?

Feb 07, 2014 at 05:17 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Larate
• •
p.1 #11 · Plz plz plz Canon...low ISO dynamic range!

Hello Form, why don't you ask Nikon to make a D800EF? Thus you would have the best of both worlds!

PS: in case you've missed something, EF stands for EF mount... :')

Feb 07, 2014 at 05:18 PM
arbitrage
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · Plz plz plz Canon...low ISO dynamic range!

Why would you go back to Canon for low ISO type of work? Dumb move if you ask me. Canon is for sports and wildlife, Nikon (or Sony even) is better for Landscapes. Of course I would love Canon to match the D800/A7 cameras and at some point they will do it. But really we all agree with you, its been discussed for ever, no one except for Canon fanbois are going to argue against you so why bother with this type of thread??

Feb 07, 2014 at 05:19 PM
form
• • • •
p.1 #13 · Plz plz plz Canon...low ISO dynamic range!

I can't help it that my standards are high and the "pro photographers" are content to silently wait while they know and agree with the limitations I have mentioned and hope for improvement the next go around. Nobody denies the shadow noise with the 5d3/etc. Canon stuff. There have been plenty of reviews bringing up that very fact and how Nikon's latest cameras blow away Canon for low ISO shadow noise.

The main thing that people may not agree with me about is the 5d3's focus-pause-focus-confirm pattern with so many prime lenses, as well as its dubious ability to track moving subjects in low light (possibly owing to its slightly more light-blind sensor and lacking face recognition that the 1dx/d800/d4 all have).

Feb 07, 2014 at 05:20 PM
onegreatcity
• • •
p.1 #14 · Plz plz plz Canon...low ISO dynamic range!

Oh man, I missed this. form, you now have centre stage so please, get it all out (again)...

Feb 07, 2014 at 05:25 PM
form
• • • •
p.1 #15 · Plz plz plz Canon...low ISO dynamic range!

arbitrage wrote:
Why would you go back to Canon for low ISO type of work? Dumb move if you ask me. Canon is for sports and wildlife, Nikon (or Sony even) is better for Landscapes. Of course I would love Canon to match the D800/A7 cameras and at some point they will do it. But really we all agree with you, its been discussed for ever, no one except for Canon fanbois are going to argue against you so why bother with this type of thread??

Because weddings are both low and high ISO. Low ISO for everything done in the daytime outside, high ISO for everything else. That's why ideally I need a camera that does both well.

I got frustrated again today. I just finished editing a set of wedding photos with both indoor and outdoor photos, and I noticed some nasty amp glow at the bottom of some D800 images...that got me researching the D610 again, and I found that there are no reports of such bad amp glow as with the D800 - and it has the same (or slightly better!) dynamic range per DXOmark reports (D610 has slightly better performance than the D600 by their measurements).

However, the 5d3 always has to go on backup duty during receptions because of the focus delays and it does NOT like tracking dancing well. I've tried every practical adjustment I can think of for the AI servo for that including going back and forth between adjusting for erratic subjects vs holding onto subjects, acquisition speed, and every middle setting in between extremes, and it just isn't reliable. I get more reliability out of my 5d2s for that situation, so they always come out.

I don't care what everybody else does, these are the results I get consistently across shooting 15-20 weddings with the 5d3. I have to go with what gives me the best success - and right now the 5d3 fails me every single time I try to track dancing at receptions. The 5d3 fails with low ISO shadows and resulting dynamic range limitations. The D800 fails with the amp glow above ISO3200 (my first D800 wasn't quite as bad as this one IMO). The 5d3 also fails with the focus delays in one-shot during critical fast-paced times where I need to lock different subjects in a very short span of time.

No camera system is perfect, but am I wrong in wanting to find the best of both worlds? Right now the closest thing for me seems to be the D610, though I don't like the more limited shutter speed max or the absence of a pc sync port. I wish there was a built-in ND filter that knocked out 1-2 stops of light so I could get away with f/1.4 in broad daylight without losing highlight recovery.

Edited on Feb 07, 2014 at 05:37 PM · View previous versions

Feb 07, 2014 at 05:28 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · Plz plz plz Canon...low ISO dynamic range!

what everyones thinking

Feb 07, 2014 at 05:37 PM
form
• • • •
p.1 #17 · Plz plz plz Canon...low ISO dynamic range!

Plus, the well-recognized pro photographers who actually generate reviews often get strong incentives to focus on the best parts of any system...one might even call them "biased" or "paid off..."

Feb 07, 2014 at 05:39 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · Plz plz plz Canon...low ISO dynamic range!

OK thats the pizza ordered , beer's on the fridge and the popcorn is popped ready and waiting

its going to be a looooong night

Feb 07, 2014 at 05:40 PM
Sir_Loin
• • •
p.1 #19 · Plz plz plz Canon...low ISO dynamic range!

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
OK thats the pizza ordered , beer's on the fridge and the popcorn is popped ready and waiting

its going to be a looooong night

Chateaneuf Du Pape and canapés for me my dear boy!

Feb 07, 2014 at 05:46 PM
snapsy
• • • •
p.1 #20 · Plz plz plz Canon...low ISO dynamic range!

form wrote:
I got frustrated again today. I just finished editing a set of wedding photos with both indoor and outdoor photos, and I noticed some nasty amp glow at the bottom of some D800 images...that got me researching the D610 again, and I found that there are no reports of such bad amp glow as with the D800 - and it has the same (or slightly better!) dynamic range per DXOmark reports (D610 has slightly better performance than the D600 by their measurements).

D600 has the amp glow - the D610 shares the same sensor so it likely has it as well. The D600 vs D610 DxO results are within their margin of error and you would see the same std. dev comparing a D600 to another D600. Also, the D600 has worse shadow tinting for pushed shadows vs the D800.

Feb 07, 2014 at 05:48 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password