New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2014 · I need help.

okafoja
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · I need help.

I have a 32gig Transcend cf card that was corrupted. The card has wedding images from the church ceremony. I took some shots with my backup camera but most of the images were on the corrupted card. Like a dumb a$$ I never bothered to use the second slot on my D800 as backup. I was very nonchalant about it but not anymore.

I send the card to Transcend and after about four months they returned it without a single image recovered. Transcend doesn't come across as professionals. It was almost like some Chinese guys running business out of their apartment. I have to chase them down to have my card shipped back to me.

i am looking for a second opinion. I'm wondering if anyone here know of a good data recovery company. I am not looking for do it yourself programs. This is beyond that. My computer won't even recognize the card same as D800.

Feb 07, 2014 at 10:55 AM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · I need help.

I know that there are places that do recover - I am sure that someone will chime in with some recommendations

Feb 07, 2014 at 11:52 AM
jc9394
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · I need help.

try this, http://www.prosofteng.com/, you can download a trial version to see if it is able to see the corrupt files. The trial version allow you to recover one file. I used this to recovered most of the files from a corrupted USB drive.

Feb 07, 2014 at 01:40 PM
niXer
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · I need help.

Professional Recovery services can easily reach $3000+ and honestly SD recovery could be harder since it's NAND memory/solid state.

It also isn't looking good if Transcend themselves couldn't recover it.

The only one I can recommend is http://www.provendatarecovery.com/ and that's mostly because I can visit them in person.

No clue about their SD recovery services but their hard drive recovery services were top notch.

Feb 07, 2014 at 02:10 PM
okafoja
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · I need help.

niXer wrote:
Professional Recovery services can easily reach $3000+ and honestly SD recovery could be harder since it's NAND memory/solid state.

It also isn't looking good if Transcend themselves couldn't recover it.

The only one I can recommend is http://www.provendatarecovery.com/ and that's mostly because I can visit them in person.

No clue about their SD recovery services but their hard drive recovery services were top notch.

That's exactly my fear. If Transcend can't recover I wonder if i am wasting my time keeping hope alive. Brides parents will pay anything to have it recovered.

Feb 07, 2014 at 03:28 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · I need help.

Wow ...

I would have

1) Shot two cards
2) Shot smaller cards and changed often
3) Tried a recovery program BEFORE sending the card away
4) Trusted my pictures to a more reputable card brand

I also would not call Transcend "unprofessional" when you yourself are in this predicament for not being professional.

Feb 07, 2014 at 04:46 PM
cbbr
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · I need help.

I don't know if they still give it away, but SanDisk had some recovery software called RescuePro that they used to give away with their higher end sd cads. I have used it to recover stuff off of a bad card and it worked very well. Might be worth a shot.

Feb 07, 2014 at 04:52 PM
garydavidjones
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · I need help.

I use a device called the Hyperdrive. It can recover photos which have been deleted
from a memory card. Upon recovery you can transfer to DVDs, computer, etc.

My wife and I were on a $20,000 five-week river cruise/tour across Europe.
A multi-millionaire cruiser erased all his pix. I recovered them and sent
him a DVD. He was quite happy.

I am not a professional photographer or IT wiz. Just a retired chemistry
teacher and photography enthusiast. PM me if I can be of any help.

Gary Jones

Feb 07, 2014 at 04:54 PM
okafoja
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · I need help.

My problem is beyond using recovery program. If my computer won't recognize the card there is nothing much I can do.

Feb 07, 2014 at 05:04 PM
jc9394
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · I need help.

Does your computer recognized a device attached?

Feb 07, 2014 at 05:06 PM
okafoja
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · I need help.

Andre Labonte wrote:
Wow ...

I would have

1) Shot two cards
2) Shot smaller cards and changed often
3) Tried a recovery program BEFORE sending the card away
4) Trusted my pictures to a more reputable card brand

I also would not call Transcend "unprofessional" when you yourself are in this predicament for not being professional.

I know it won't be long before someone will try to lecture me without offering a single help get me out of my predicament. I am not the first person to have his memory fail and I won't be the last.

What you fail to understand is that these cards will fail sometimes regardless of the brand. Though I won't use Transcend again but not because of failure but customer service.

Feb 07, 2014 at 05:15 PM
okafoja
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · I need help.

okafoja wrote:
I know it won't be long before someone will try to lecture me without offering a single help to get me out of my predicament. I am not the first person to have his memory card fail and I won't be the last.

What you fail to understand is that these cards will fail sometimes regardless of the brand. Though I won't use Transcend again but not because of failure but customer service.

Feb 07, 2014 at 05:16 PM
John Skinner
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · I need help.

Irrespective of all the comments being offered (good & bad) this really is a pretty basic function used by our operating systems everyday.

Look at it this way, it's really all 1's & 0's being written. This issues come in to what took place on, or to that card after the images were written. So there is offerings like 'undelete' and 'undo'(recover), and that's what these little apps do by and large, with small tweaks directed towards media type files.

So it's either going to see something, or it was altered after the fact of writing and you're tooobed.

PM to the Op with a link to a possible solution.

Feb 07, 2014 at 05:25 PM
chuckbernard

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · I need help.

Does your camera recognize it? If you do a quick format from your camera then sometimes the tools can then work to recover the data. However, use this as the LAST resort because once you do this then you have changed something permanently and you won't be able to go back. You may change for the good, or the bad, and you just won't know until you try.

Also... If your camera doesn't recognize the card to format it then...

I don't know if you have a Mac or a PC (it probably doesn't make much difference). If you have a Mac sometimes the card is not recognizable and doesn't show up in the finder as you are seeing. However, if you start the Disk Utility program it will show up in the sidebar. From there you can format it and then run the recovery software on it after it shows up in the finder. Again, this is pretty last resort.

Both of these things are worth trying if you are ready to give up. (Also, you can just see if it is recognizable without formatting it just to help identify how deep your problem is.

Feb 07, 2014 at 05:34 PM
jc9394
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · I need help.

If his computer Mac or Windows based recognized it as device, not necessary as a drive. The software I linked can recover most if not all the files. He never answered that question. Oh well, just trying to help.

Feb 07, 2014 at 05:40 PM
AMaji
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · I need help.

I believe the name of the program that came with sandisk is RescuePro. I think I read about these people http://www.nationwidedatarecovery.com/ before. Maybe similar name but the services were same. You can give them a call and see.

I hope others will read your post and avoid making the same mistake, including myself. On another note, I hope you have insurance coverage for these kind of unfortunate events. I know a photographer who had to pay for a bride's makeup and dress and some other sundry items when he lost the photos he took of the bride a day or two before wedding. I was told that the wedding photographers carry insurance for these kind of accidents.

Good luck.

Feb 07, 2014 at 05:49 PM
kaplah
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · I need help.

okafoja wrote:
I have a 32gig Transcend cf card that was corrupted.
[...]
i am looking for a second opinion. I'm wondering if anyone here know of a good data recovery company

http://www.krollontrack.com/data-recovery/

Large corporations use these guys when data simply must be recovered. They can take a hard drive apart and use Magnetic Force Microscopy to recover whatever may be there even if it has been erased several times (that would be very, very expensive).

I have used them, although not for some time, for corporate recovery. Don't know if they can do a CF card, but it is worth your time to call them.

Feb 07, 2014 at 06:07 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · I need help.

okafoja wrote:
I know it won't be long before someone will try to lecture me without offering a single help get me out of my predicament. I am not the first person to have his memory fail and I won't be the last.

I don't fail to understand anything ... it is because they will fail that I suggested the 4 actions I did. Had you done 1 you would have lost nothing and had you done 2 you would have lost some, but would have most of the images to show for it.

As for not offering a suggestion, it seems any and all good ones have been offered and you are basically screwed ... or should I more correctly say, the bride and groom are.

Feb 07, 2014 at 06:33 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · I need help.

AMaji wrote:
I believe the name of the program that came with sandisk is RescuePro. I think I read about these people http://www.nationwidedatarecovery.com/ before. Maybe similar name but the services were same. You can give them a call and see.

I hope others will read your post and avoid making the same mistake, including myself. On another note, I hope you have insurance coverage for these kind of unfortunate events. I know a photographer who had to pay for a bride's makeup and dress and some other sundry items when he lost the photos he took of the bride a day or two
...Show more

Yes, the program is indeed called Rescue Pro and will recover about 90% of the images IF and ONLY IF the card can be read/recognized.

Feb 07, 2014 at 06:34 PM
okafoja
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · I need help.

jc9394 wrote:
Does your computer recognized a device attached?

Yes. It recognizes the usb reader but not the card. It sees other cards.

Feb 07, 2014 at 06:46 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.