New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Macbook Air for Image Processing

Tim Carpenter
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Macbook Air for Image Processing

I'm running a 15" MBP - i7 2Ghz Quad Core Processor (2011 model). This has been my primary machine (with large Lacie LCD) for photo editing. The problem is that it's too big to travel with (can't easily use on a plane), battery drains quickly, gets hot, etc.

I'm looking at a new i7 MBA with 8GB Ram ---Same use, lightroom and PS. Web browsing and the like. I'm not a heavy user now. I will not be editing photos day and out. A few times/month.

Anyone use a MBA in this way? Will it meet my needs?

Feb 06, 2014 at 02:18 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Macbook Air for Image Processing

Looking at the MBA myself at the moment . Although I'll stick with the base i5 and probably will stick with the 4gig of ram (still tossing that choice up) as my use will be pretty much all Lightroom (Lightroom is CPU user not ram) . And I will mainly use it as a travel item with smart previews .

But if your speccing an MBA that high then maybe consider the retina 13 inc MACBOOK PRO. . Side by side the pro is not that much bigger than the MBA

Just a thought

Feb 06, 2014 at 03:36 PM
Mr. Thompson

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Macbook Air for Image Processing

I would also suggest the 13" retina Macbook Pro. It's a tad thicker on one end and a bit more weight but the screen is worth it.

Feb 06, 2014 at 03:43 PM
Arka
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Macbook Air for Image Processing

I love my MBA, and use it for image processing all the time. I notice the difference in weight between it and MacBook Pro Retina... I would not recommend the latter over the Air if portability is a primary concern.

Feb 06, 2014 at 04:10 PM
OntheRez
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Macbook Air for Image Processing

I'm on my second MBA. To be honest I can't see why anyone would buy a tablet when an 11" Air is only a few hundred more than the iPad Air and at least 10x more useful. I like the 11" size and just updated to the i7, 8GB RAM with a 256GB SSD. It is noticeably faster than my older Air. Haven't owned a full fledged laptop in a while so can't remark on how it would compare to a MacBook Pro.

I use mine as a temporary repository when doing a long shoot (like on the road for a couple of weeks or such). I'd hate to carry that many cards so I move things off the cards to the Air. Currently using Lightroom I can ingest, name, do the EXIF, and do the first cull of my shots. I have the NIK plugins installed so I also will sometimes work on a pix that I'm particularly interested in or perhaps I don't know if it is right and I need to go back to shoot again. It's not fast, but was never really intended to be a graphics intensive machine, so I find it acceptable for out in the field.

Of course the form factor is extremely useful to me in a wide variety of situations. It is amazing how much lighter and slimmer it is than the MBP. Really a joy to use.

Robert

Feb 06, 2014 at 04:37 PM
Mr. Thompson

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Macbook Air for Image Processing

For reference I also have an 11" Air. I agree with Robert. It's a fantastic machine. Maybe it's my old eyes, but I much prefer my wife's 13" retina Macbook. If you are dealing with long flights perhaps the 13" Air's screen size and longer battery life would be best.

Feb 06, 2014 at 04:57 PM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Macbook Air for Image Processing

given the memory usage and unexpandability, I can't recommend staying w/ 4GB of RAM.

Feb 06, 2014 at 06:20 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.