FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2014 · Photozone review: Sony Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8 ZA Lens

snapsy
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Photozone review: Sony Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8 ZA Lens

farfisa wrote:
Settings (cogwheel) menu, page 5 > Lens Comp. > Shading Comp. > Off (usually set to 'auto')

hmm, there is no page 5 in the cogwell/settings on my RX10 (only pages 1-4). I'm using firmware 1.00.

Feb 06, 2014 at 04:17 PM
Kit Laughlin
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Photozone review: Sony Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8 ZA Lens

That's sharp enough for me, Fred.

Feb 06, 2014 at 04:32 PM
Toothwalker
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Photozone review: Sony Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8 ZA Lens

snapsy wrote:
I can't find the option in the menus. Can you point me to it?

I mean that you can switch off the camera. Bad joke of course, but the underlying thought is serious. I don't like it when a manufacturer knows better what I want than me. Same with software such as MS Word or Outlook, which I hate, with all these stupid and unrelenting autocorrections that are switched on by default. You have to dig deep in the menus and options to switch them off. I am of the opinion that user efforts should be required if you want such 'features', not if you don't want them. If there is no way to switch them off, that would be a good reason for me not to buy the product.

Feb 06, 2014 at 05:12 PM
Toothwalker
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Photozone review: Sony Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8 ZA Lens

Fred Miranda wrote:
Here is an example @f/6.3 (with 100% crops center and extreme edge. Sharpened in LR: 40, 0.8, 35)

Looks good, and it's a wonderful image, but one side-note is called for. The rocks are fairly monochromatic, which means that chromatic aberrations play a smaller role than with polychromatic subject matter.

Feb 06, 2014 at 05:19 PM
Spyro P.
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Photozone review: Sony Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8 ZA Lens

Kit Laughlin wrote:
That's sharp enough for me, Fred.

+1

Feb 06, 2014 at 05:51 PM
tsdevine
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Photozone review: Sony Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8 ZA Lens

Sharpness looks great Fred, but the color is what strikes me. I love the tones in the shot with the mixture of warm sun and cooler shade.

-Tim

Feb 06, 2014 at 07:26 PM
itai195
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Photozone review: Sony Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8 ZA Lens

I agree that this lens is a little pricey for what it is. But that's the price of admission I guess. I've been happy with mine, but I'd like to also get an f/2 or f/1.4 native 35mm at some point.

Feb 06, 2014 at 08:07 PM
phuang3
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Photozone review: Sony Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8 ZA Lens

From the review, I am surprised that FE35/2.8 exhibits very strong of LCA even at f/5.6! The lens construction of FE35 is very different from other 35mm's. I guess Zeiss was trying to minimize the lens element which decrease the chance of CA correction. It happened on Leica 90 APO also. 90 APO is the least CA corrected APO lens Leica ever made.

Feb 06, 2014 at 08:09 PM
AhamB
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Photozone review: Sony Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8 ZA Lens

phuang3 wrote:
From the review, I am surprised that FE35/2.8 exhibits very strong of LCA even at f/5.6! The lens construction of FE35 is very different from other 35mm's. I guess Zeiss was trying to minimize the lens element which decrease the chance of CA correction. It happened on Leica 90 APO also. 90 APO is the least CA corrected APO lens Leica ever made.

With LCA you mean longitudinal (axial) CA?

Feb 07, 2014 at 03:28 AM
phuang3
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Photozone review: Sony Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8 ZA Lens

AhamB wrote:
With LCA you mean longitudinal (axial) CA?

Yes, that's what I mean.

Feb 07, 2014 at 07:15 AM
reprazent1
• •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Photozone review: Sony Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8 ZA Lens

Fred Miranda wrote:
However, it's curious that only Shading Compensation (for color and luminance vignetting) is applied to both JPEG and RAW files when setting correction to "Auto".

that's rather curious indeed, I had it set to auto/auto/off (never bothered to change default settings) because I assumed it would only be applied to jpegs.

Anyway, I was skeptical too about this lens, hoping to have at faster lens for the price. I never intended to buy any FE lenses myself, but during my Osaka trip I gave in because I couldn't hand my camera to a stranger or gf to take a picture.
The lens is tiny, very sharp and lightweight too. To me it's the perfect walkaround lens, great for snapshots when travelling. Picked it up for just over $600 after taxrefund

Feb 07, 2014 at 07:24 AM
tsdevine
• • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Photozone review: Sony Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8 ZA Lens

I don't find it odd that Chromatic Aberration Compensation and Distortion Compensation are not applied to the RAW files as I would imagine that would be very computationally intensive to do that type of manipulation on the bayer (non demosaic'd) RAW data. Shading would just have to adjust the luminance of each photo site irrespective of what color the site was sensitive to. Meaning each photo site is adjusted solely based on where it physically sites. The CA and distortion would have to cross photo sites and manipulate them in a very challenging way.

At least that's my guess, I know we have some stellar technical knowledge in quite a few participants in this forum....I would imagine I'll be corrected if I'm barking up the wrong tree.

-Tim

Fred Miranda wrote:
The camera's menu options offer "Shading Compensation", "Chromatic Aberration Compensation" and "Distortion Compensation" which can be set to either 'Off' or 'Auto'.
However, it's curious that only Shading Compensation (for color and luminance vignetting) is applied to both JPEG and RAW files when setting correction to "Auto".
Distortion Compensation and Chromatic Aberration Compensation are only applied to JPEGs. The same goes for Diffraction correction technology and Detail reproduction technology. (JPEG only)

Feb 07, 2014 at 08:39 AM
weekh
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Photozone review: Sony Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8 ZA Lens

Any idea how does the FE lens compare against the VC 35 f1.2 stopped down at f4 - F8?

Feb 07, 2014 at 09:35 AM

p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Photozone review: Sony Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8 ZA Lens

Fred Miranda wrote:
Here is an example @f/6.3 (with 100% crops center and extreme edge. Sharpened in LR: 40, 0.8, 35)

Oh, so "Like".

Feb 07, 2014 at 09:37 AM
Toothwalker
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Photozone review: Sony Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8 ZA Lens

phuang3 wrote:
Yes, that's what I mean.

There are no signs of strong LCA, certainly not at f/5.6. Strong LCA is at odds with a high center MTF.

What PZ calls LoCA is not longitudinal chromatic aberration, but defocus color fringing.

Feb 07, 2014 at 10:56 AM
       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.