FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2014 · Photozone review: Sony Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8 ZA Lens

Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Photozone review: Sony Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8 ZA Lens

Photozone review: Sony Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8 ZA Lens
Klaus at Photozone.com posted his review on the Sony Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8 ZA Lens

Here is an excerpt:
"The Zeiss Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8 ZA is undoubtedly a very good performer but it's not flawless. The image center is certainly of stunning quality but the borders and more so the corners can't quite follow. Very sharp images across the image field are still possible at medium apertures. Distortions are generally not an issue."

It's interesting to note that he found that the RAW files are manipulated to activate vignette auto-correction in-camera. Perhaps other in-camera corrections as also being done to the RAW file.

Read entire review

Sony FE 35mm F2.8 ZA Lens ($798)
B&H Photo | Adorama

Feb 06, 2014 at 10:31 AM
wiseguy010
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Photozone review: Sony Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8 ZA Lens

Fred Miranda wrote:
It's interesting to note that he found that the RAW files are manipulated to activate vignette auto-correction in-camera. Perhaps other in-camera corrections as also being done to the RAW file.

Can this switched off?

Feb 06, 2014 at 12:34 PM
SoulNibbler
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Photozone review: Sony Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8 ZA Lens

Yup! he shows the results in the review.

Feb 06, 2014 at 12:52 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Photozone review: Sony Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8 ZA Lens

wiseguy010 wrote:
Can this switched off?

Yes, in the menu.

As far as I know, ACR does not read the camera corrections. PZ must be using a different raw converter, probably Sony's IDC.

Feb 06, 2014 at 12:54 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Photozone review: Sony Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8 ZA Lens

wiseguy010 wrote:
Can this switched off?

yeah, this is true of all the latest sony's – vignetting and color shading correction are added to the raw if you have it turned on. luckily you can turn it off. also, it doesn't seem to be as complete a correction as you get from using corner fix or the lightroom flat field plugin.

Feb 06, 2014 at 12:59 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Photozone review: Sony Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8 ZA Lens

The camera's menu options offer "Shading Compensation", "Chromatic Aberration Compensation" and "Distortion Compensation" which can be set to either 'Off' or 'Auto'.
However, it's curious that only Shading Compensation (for color and luminance vignetting) is applied to both JPEG and RAW files when setting correction to "Auto".
Distortion Compensation and Chromatic Aberration Compensation are only applied to JPEGs. The same goes for Diffraction correction technology and Detail reproduction technology. (JPEG only)

Feb 06, 2014 at 01:11 PM
bcaslis
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Photozone review: Sony Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8 ZA Lens

So basically he liked the build, kind of liked the optics, but hated the value. Hmmm.

Feb 06, 2014 at 01:12 PM
bcaslis
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Photozone review: Sony Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8 ZA Lens

I agree. Photozone seems to have a habit of rating Sony lenses somewhat low. Hard to see their 2 star value rating based on the optics results.

Feb 06, 2014 at 01:18 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Photozone review: Sony Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8 ZA Lens

Plus, this is only at one distance, and I don't believe the FE 35 has a floating element, so results may vary, depending on focus distance.

Feb 06, 2014 at 01:46 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Photozone review: Sony Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8 ZA Lens

I have the feeling after having used this lens for a month that its close and medium range performance is stellar, but at infinity the resolution drops somewhat. Today I compared it to the ZM 35/2 on the M9 in a landscape setting and the ZM was ahead at all apertures, though I suspect the AA filter on the A7 to have handicaped the FE in this comparison.

Feb 06, 2014 at 01:52 PM
dbehrens
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Photozone review: Sony Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8 ZA Lens

Fred Miranda wrote:
If you look at the actual test, the resolution numbers are quite impressive. One would be hard pressed to find a lens that matches this performance.

Not to mention this is done with a 120 G AF lens! Pretty amazing feat in my mind!
Dave

Feb 06, 2014 at 01:55 PM
AhamB
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Photozone review: Sony Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8 ZA Lens

edwardkaraa wrote:
I have the feeling after having used this lens for a month that its close and medium range performance is stellar, but at infinity the resolution drops somewhat. Today I compared it to the ZM 35/2 on the M9 in a landscape setting and the ZM was ahead at all apertures, though I suspect the AA filter on the A7 to have handicaped the FE in this comparison.

Comparing intentionally blurred detail with false (undersampled) detail isn't completely fair, of course.

Feb 06, 2014 at 02:05 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Photozone review: Sony Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8 ZA Lens

AhamB wrote:
Comparing intentionally blurred detail with false (undersampled) detail isn't completely fair, of course.

Indeed, but on the other hand, the FE 55 wiped the floor with the ZM 50/2 at all apertures, despite the AA filter

Feb 06, 2014 at 02:08 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Photozone review: Sony Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8 ZA Lens

I think there are plenty of lenses with that kind of optical performance. When I used the lens, I thought it was very good, but the corners never really got sharp, even on the A7. They weren't bad, but not exceptional. Certainly not good enough to warrant $800 for an f/2.8. My Fuji 23/1.4 is sharper across the frame stopped down. The 35 is certainly very good, but the price premium is a little steep.

Feb 06, 2014 at 02:14 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Photozone review: Sony Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8 ZA Lens

Jman13 wrote:
I think there are plenty of lenses with that kind of optical performance. When I used the lens, I thought it was very good, but the corners never really got sharp, even on the A7. They weren't bad, but not exceptional. Certainly not good enough to warrant $800 for an f/2.8. My Fuji 23/1.4 is sharper across the frame stopped down. The 35 is certainly very good, but the price premium is a little steep.

That is my experience too, but only at infinity. I think it is stellar at medium/close range. But certainly it is not in the same league as the FE 55.

Feb 06, 2014 at 02:21 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Photozone review: Sony Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8 ZA Lens

sebboh wrote:
yeah, this is true of all the latest sony's – vignetting and color shading correction are added to the raw if you have it turned on. luckily you can turn it off. also, it doesn't seem to be as complete a correction as you get from using corner fix or the lightroom flat field plugin.

Yep. Unfortunately Sony left out the ability to turn vignetting correction off on the RX10.

Feb 06, 2014 at 02:43 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Photozone review: Sony Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8 ZA Lens

edwardkaraa wrote:

That doesn't surprise me, as that ZM 35/2 is one of the better 35mm lenses at infinity around, from what I remember.

Feb 06, 2014 at 02:57 PM
Toothwalker
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Photozone review: Sony Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8 ZA Lens

snapsy wrote:
Yep. Unfortunately Sony left out the ability to turn vignetting correction off on the RX10.

You can turn off the RX10.

Feb 06, 2014 at 02:59 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Photozone review: Sony Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8 ZA Lens

Toothwalker wrote:
You can turn off the RX10.

I can't find the option in the menus. Can you point me to it?

Feb 06, 2014 at 03:09 PM
farfisa
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Photozone review: Sony Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8 ZA Lens

snapsy wrote:
I can't find the option in the menus. Can you point me to it?

Settings (cogwheel) menu, page 5 > Lens Comp. > Shading Comp. > Off (usually set to 'auto')

Feb 06, 2014 at 03:45 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.