Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Has anyone rented gear before?

fstopperdown
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Has anyone rented gear before?

Chose to sell off all of my Leica collection (film bodies and pre-asph Lux's) to pay off a deductible on a medical issue last year, so I'm starting over in the gear department.

So the question is... Buy a respectable Nikon outfit or slowly rebuild the Leica collection and rent gear for special occasions? I'm leaning Leica...

It got me thinking... how many people have rented cameras and lens equipment in the past?

I have an October wedding for friends. The juices are starting to flow but it's unlikely I will pursue weddings again except maybe an occasional CL bride for kicks. Been there and done that...

I figured for a one off wedding, I could check the box on that bucket list Leica wedding as a gift to my friends and move on. If I get the urge to shoot weddings again, then I'll cross that bridge later.

IS the advertised equipment available? Reliable?

An ASPH Summilux or a Summicron with an M- film body is obtainable, but a full bag blown Leica outfit of M9's, Summilux ASPH's... are all the stuff of dreams.

Any advice appreciated.

Feb 06, 2014 at 08:22 AM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Has anyone rented gear before?

Lens rental dot com is your friend.
Plus Roger hangs on Fred Miranda too.

I have rented every piece of gear prior to purchase (except flash)for the last 2 years.
5DmkIII/24L/50L + others 70-200 f2.8, 14L and 85L.
The 5DmkIII, 24 and 50 I rented several times.

Feb 06, 2014 at 08:50 AM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Has anyone rented gear before?

I've rented from these three companies and they have all been good. I pick the one that has the lowest price for the piece of gear that I'm looking for. I rent for one of these reasons.

1. My gear is in the shop being fixed
2. Want to play with something I don't already own
3. Need gear for something special

No particular order but hey have all been good to deal with, quick shipping, gear in top shape. The first one I have rented from the most:

http://www.lensrentals.com
http://www.borrowlenses.com
http://www.lensprotogo.com

Feb 06, 2014 at 08:57 AM
rmric0
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Has anyone rented gear before?

I rented a lot when I was starting out, which was a little intesne for the pocketbook but worked out well for me. The three MRomine mentioned are pretty good (and there might be a place local to you as well).

Feb 06, 2014 at 09:53 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.