Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              6      
       8       9       end

Official: Pentax 645Z Medium Format priced at $8,499

FlyPenFly
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.7 #1 · p.7 #1 · Official: Pentax 645Z Medium Format priced at $8,499

They should offer car loan style financing for a system.

Depreciation is probably somewhat similar if you buy GM.

Apr 15, 2014 at 02:29 PM
alundeb
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.7 #2 · p.7 #2 · Official: Pentax 645Z Medium Format priced at $8,499

Makten wrote:
At least you don't have to crop every single image to 4:3.

I would still have to crop for Instagram

Seriously, for narrower aspect ratios, the linear increase in resolution is 26%. But the weight and bulk is really putting me off.

Apr 15, 2014 at 02:32 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.7 #3 · p.7 #3 · Official: Pentax 645Z Medium Format priced at $8,499

kwalsh wrote:
Wow! Looks like a good stab at reviving MF to a larger audience. Good sensor, good features, sane price.

On the other hand, for a landscape photographer it is hard to see what the benefits are compared to a D800E or A7r. Crop factor of 0.79x and linear pixel count increase of only 20% compared to the FF options. Neglecting the price just the system weight and bulk in comparison is very significant for the marginal gains. Are the optics available really that much more outstanding than what can be had or adapted on a A7R or D800E?

Well - academic question
...Show more

I think there is more to it than just sharpness so that now, with likely the same state of the art Sony CMOS sensor technology in a larger format sensor, you can't directly compare FF 35 to the larger sensor (well, you can and the larger sensor is going to be better). I really think this was the case beforehand with regard to rendering myself (tonality, smoothness, color and other IQ aspects).

Personally, I'm stocking up on the best 645 glass now. I figure we will be seeing this Sony MF CMOS sensor show up elsewhere soon - perhaps even on a mirrorless option -and the better lenses will be in high demand. Just picked up the 35 3.5A, 55 A and 120 FA Macro this morning in fact. Combined price of around $1300. Frankly, that's less than I would pay for good APS glass.

Apr 15, 2014 at 02:35 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.7 #4 · p.7 #4 · Official: Pentax 645Z Medium Format priced at $8,499

Interesting that the shutter on this 645Z is said to be quieter than the A7r shutter. That must be one loud shutter in the A7r - or maybe the Pentax 645 shutter is just amazingly quiet like those in the K5/K3.

Live View is going to be better than on a Nikon D800 as well (I was impressed by the K3 Live View and this sounds to be the same).

"Something that really impressed us is just how well implemented live view is on the 645Z. It feels just like the best interchangeable lens cameras out there, with a fast refresh rate, respectable contrast AF, face detection, and the aforementioned video recording feature."

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2014/04/15/hands-on-with-the-pentax-645z/2

Apr 15, 2014 at 03:07 PM
hauxon
• • •
p.7 #5 · p.7 #5 · Official: Pentax 645Z Medium Format priced at $8,499

alundeb wrote:
..... But the weight and bulk is really putting me off.

I just held a Canon 1Dx today. The 645Z is only 25 grams heavier and it's actually not that more bulkier either. I had 1 series Canon for years and have operated the (original) Pentax 645 for few hours and you don't feel the 645 is significantly larger. Nikon D800 is of course somewhat smaller than the two but then you may have the 1000g 14-24 mounted. ...it's all relative.

Too bad the 25/4 is in the Otus price category!

Apr 15, 2014 at 04:23 PM
uintaangler
• • • •
p.7 #6 · p.7 #6 · Official: Pentax 645Z Medium Format priced at $8,499

hauxon wrote:
I just held a Canon 1Dx today. The 645Z is only 25 grams heavier and it's actually not that more bulkier either. I had 1 series Canon for years and have operated the (original) Pentax 645 for few hours and you don't feel the 645 is significantly larger. Nikon D800 is of course somewhat smaller than the two but then you may have the 1000g 14-24 mounted. ...it's all relative.

Otus?

Apr 15, 2014 at 04:51 PM
Sneakyracer
• • • •
p.7 #7 · p.7 #7 · Official: Pentax 645Z Medium Format priced at $8,499

uintaangler wrote:
Sneakyracer,
Isn't it true that the 35mm FA is significantly more expensive than the 35mm A?
Bob

Yes, the FA is more expensive. It has AF and it is a more recent design. It is a great lens for general use but at infinity the Manual version (A) is better. Specially for landscapes where most of the subject is far away.

I agree, stock up on lenses, used prices for Pentax 645 is going to go up BIG time. Very soon.

Apr 15, 2014 at 05:20 PM
uintaangler
• • • •
p.7 #8 · p.7 #8 · Official: Pentax 645Z Medium Format priced at $8,499

Too late, sneakyTariq already grabbed all of the good ones

Apr 15, 2014 at 05:27 PM
joeisayo
• • •
p.7 #9 · p.7 #9 · Official: Pentax 645Z Medium Format priced at $8,499

I would love to see Pentax adding a fast normal lens with leaf shutter. This camera has impressive specs with an amazing price but lacks a modern lens line up to take advantage of the high res sensor and impressive AF (on paper at least)

Apr 15, 2014 at 05:54 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.7 #10 · p.7 #10 · Official: Pentax 645Z Medium Format priced at $8,499

Tariq Gibran wrote:
Interesting that the shutter on this 645Z is said to be quieter than the A7r shutter. That must be one loud shutter in the A7r - or maybe the Pentax 645 shutter is just amazingly quiet like those in the K5/K3.

Live View is going to be better than on a Nikon D800 as well (I was impressed by the K3 Live View and this sounds to be the same).

"Something that really impressed us is just how well implemented live view is on the 645Z. It feels just like the best interchangeable lens cameras out there, with a fast refresh
...Show more

Sony always have loud shutters. The a900 and a850 sounded like someone slamming a car hood down. The a7 is certainly quieter but it's not a satisfying sound, more like slamming the door while you're in the other room.

Apr 15, 2014 at 06:00 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

hauxon
• • •
p.7 #11 · p.7 #11 · Official: Pentax 645Z Medium Format priced at $8,499

uintaangler wrote:
Otus?

Carl Zeiss Otus 1.4/55 ...the $4000 and more category.

Apr 15, 2014 at 06:23 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • •
p.7 #12 · p.7 #12 · Official: Pentax 645Z Medium Format priced at $8,499

FlyPenFly wrote:
Sony always have loud shutters. The a900 and a850 sounded like someone slamming a car hood down. The a7 is certainly quieter but it's not a satisfying sound, more like slamming the door while you're in the other room.

Hyperbole overload.

Apr 15, 2014 at 06:26 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • •
p.7 #13 · p.7 #13 · Official: Pentax 645Z Medium Format priced at $8,499

That is quite a lot of camera at that price. It's too bad you can't convert Contax 645 lenses to Pentax. I'm sure the APO 120/4 would look fantastic on that sensor.

It would be a bit wasted on me, but I can't wait to see what the future owners (Tariq?) do with it.

Apr 15, 2014 at 06:37 PM
alundeb
• • • •
p.7 #14 · p.7 #14 · Official: Pentax 645Z Medium Format priced at $8,499

hauxon wrote:

I remember the times when some of us were anxious that the first 36x24 mm sensor above 24 MP would come in a Canon 1 series brick. It was such a relief that the D800 came. Still with the D800E it was so bulky and heavy that I often did not bring it. The A7r is just there, it comes along and sees the light, and the D800E is now sold. A 54 MP sensor in the same body size wil be my next upgrade, if any.

Apr 15, 2014 at 06:41 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.7 #15 · p.7 #15 · Official: Pentax 645Z Medium Format priced at $8,499

freaklikeme wrote:
That is quite a lot of camera at that price. It's too bad you can't convert Contax 645 lenses to Pentax. I'm sure the APO 120/4 would look fantastic on that sensor.

It would be a bit wasted on me, but I can't wait to see what the future owners (Tariq?) do with it.

I'll more likely be in the market for a used 645D - or a new one if the price drops enough.

Apr 15, 2014 at 07:24 PM
corposant
• • • •
p.7 #16 · p.7 #16 · Official: Pentax 645Z Medium Format priced at $8,499

Flash sync is 1/125... they ought to develop one or two leaf shutter lenses.

Apr 15, 2014 at 10:17 PM
johnctharp
• • • •
p.7 #17 · p.7 #17 · Official: Pentax 645Z Medium Format priced at $8,499

corposant wrote:

They should have announced them, at least; they really can't get by otherwise. It's like saying, 'this camera is for landscapes and slow natural light photography only,' as there's little advantage to using one of these in a studio or at events in place of a D800(E) where the extra resolution will be robbed either by a slow shutter or lack of light :/.

Apr 15, 2014 at 10:21 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.7 #18 · p.7 #18 · Official: Pentax 645Z Medium Format priced at $8,499

corposant wrote:

There are two older, manual focus Pentax 645 leaf shutter lenses available - the LS 75/2.8 and a LS 135/4. I suspect if this system starts to sell, Ricoh will introduce new LS lenses and maybe tilt shift lenses.

The wider implication of the 645Z price is interesting to consider, particularly given it's capabilities. Might we see a resurgence in this format size, even from Nikon and Canon, to fill the gap left by dwindling sales at the low end of the market. Looking forward to seeing what turns up later this year at Photokina.

Apr 15, 2014 at 11:31 PM
corposant
• • • •
p.7 #19 · p.7 #19 · Official: Pentax 645Z Medium Format priced at $8,499

johnctharp wrote:
They should have announced them, at least; they really can't get by otherwise. It's like saying, 'this camera is for landscapes and slow natural light photography only,' as there's little advantage to using one of these in a studio or at events in place of a D800(E) where the extra resolution will be robbed either by a slow shutter or lack of light :/.

That's why it's so problematic - unless you just got a huge tax refund, kept all your 645 lenses, or can just afford it... the people who would use this professionally would need to be paid enough per job to make it worthwhile. So, for me, I'd want leaf shutters for studio or outdoor portraiture. For landscaping (which doesn't usually pay that much), you're probably better off with a smaller system.

Apr 16, 2014 at 02:02 AM
uintaangler
• • • •
p.7 #20 · p.7 #20 · Official: Pentax 645Z Medium Format priced at $8,499

Hope this isn't a dumb question, but here goes…..
Why does the 25mm Pentax SMC 645 lens cost over $4,000?
Even when compared to Pentax's other new lenses for the 645D or 645Z that is significantly higher
Is it particularly difficult to produce UWA lenses for Medium Format cameras?
Is this lens that good?
Thanks

Apr 16, 2014 at 06:54 PM
       8       9       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

8       9       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password