Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4      
       6              8       9       end

Official: Pentax 645Z Medium Format priced at $8,499

artur5
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #1 · Official: Pentax 645Z Medium Format priced at $8,499

kosmoskatten wrote:
It would seem very awkward to release a new digital medium format body and not bring out any new lenses. I am sure they have some sort of plan for it, just hope they are more open in their road map announcements and not tight lipped as Ricoh usually are about new products.

Given that Pentax, as an independent firm, doesn't exists anymore and it's Ricoh who's piloting the ship, I won't be surprised if that tight lipped & unfathomable policy will be applied as well to their Pentax branded line of products.

Feb 19, 2014 at 02:47 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #2 · Official: Pentax 645Z Medium Format priced at $8,499

artur5 wrote:
Given that Pentax, as an independent firm, doesn't exists anymore and it's Ricoh who's piloting the ship, I won't be surprised if that tight lipped & unfathomable policy will be applied as well to their Pentax branded line of products.

It already has been. It's certainly not like with Sony who basically seem to leak everything purposely. Ricoh seems more like Apple in their secrecy. There were not many details with either the K3 or 645 II (2014) prior to announcement, certainly not weeks or months in advance.

Feb 19, 2014 at 03:36 PM
burningheart
• • • •
p.5 #3 · Official: Pentax 645Z Medium Format priced at $8,499

Tariq Gibran wrote:
I guess Phase One sees the writing on the wall with dropping prices with increased competition. Lets hope they don't go off the deep end like Hasselblad now that they have been acquired by a private equity firm.
http://photorumors.com/2014/02/18/phase-one-to-be-acquired-by-silverfleet-capital/#more-55302

I agree competition is usually good for us, but private equity firms are more concerned with growth and bottom line. When I took my training on Capture One the instructor mentioned that Phase One has a lot of patents and at one time Microsoft was looking at buying some but the deal fell through. If the instructor was correct on the patents then one wonders if the equity company plans on selling off a bunch. On their site they had this statement.
In the end it's good to see Pentax coming out with a new model.

The investment by Silverfleet will enable the business to grow through continued innovation and new product launches, additional marketing and the potential acquisition of complementary businesses or technology.

Henrik Håkonsson, who is currently the majority shareholder, will continue as CEO of the business after the transaction. He commented: “We are delighted to work with Silverfleet going forward. Their international outlook, financial capability and track record of growing companies, make them an ideal partner for us as we accelerate the growth of our business".

Feb 19, 2014 at 09:58 PM
corposant
• • • •
p.5 #4 · Official: Pentax 645Z Medium Format priced at $8,499

kosmoskatten wrote:
It would seem very awkward to release a new digital medium format body and not bring out any new lenses. I am sure they have some sort of plan for it, just hope they are more open in their road map announcements and not tight lipped as Ricoh usually are about new products.

I think the new camera looks great and I am quite sure it will make for a very good system if they don't drop the ball. In that price range you don't want customers to feel hesitant to invest and insecure about system future.

Maybe this is a silly question, but my impression was that the most recent P645 lenses are excellent on the 645D. Are they that hard to come by used? I believe there are some on the B&S board now.

Feb 19, 2014 at 10:46 PM
tsjanik

p.5 #5 · Official: Pentax 645Z Medium Format priced at $8,499

Ricoh states 645 FA lenses are currently in production:

"DE: No, there's three current lenses that you're manufacturing, right? For the 645? Are there more lenses for the 645D?

Ricoh: We do have more than three lenses.

DE: Oh, there are? That's interesting - when I looked at the Imaging site, I thought I only saw three listed.

Ricoh: The lenses for the 645 - the lens available after the 645D was announced, yes, there are three since then. But we do have a long history of 645 analog cameras. Those lenses also are attachable.

DE: Are you still manufacturing those lenses?

Ricoh: Yes, we are. Of course, when we launched the 645D, we did a precise test to determine if those analog lenses could be used also for the digital, and according to our tests, it should be no problem.

DE: I'll have to check again, but I think I went to the Ricoh Imaging site, and they had a list of all the lenses, but I only saw three 645s at the very bottom, but maybe - could be that they're not imported to the U.S. maybe? I can ask the U.S. people about that.

Ricoh: (chuckles) We'll have them upload all the lenses. Thank you."

http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2014/03/14/ricoh-qa-ricoh-tech-into-pentax-cameras-whither-pentax-full-frame

Mar 16, 2014 at 02:20 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.5 #6 · Official: Pentax 645Z Medium Format priced at $8,499

Yeah, I saw that interview. Seems like a HUGE oversight that the lenses are not listed on the U.S. site BUT, since these other lenses are not even offered for actual sale anywhere in the U.S., seems like there is more to it than Ricoh/ Pentax simply forgetting to list the lenses on their site.

If they are actually in production that's great news. Now Ricoh needs to actually distribute them in the U.S.!

Mar 16, 2014 at 07:08 PM
molson
• • • • • •
p.5 #7 · Official: Pentax 645Z Medium Format priced at $8,499

It sounds like the Ricoh person being interviewed doesn't have a clue...

Mar 16, 2014 at 07:31 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.5 #8 · Official: Pentax 645Z Medium Format priced at $8,499

Why? The Ricoh site in Japan has loads over lenses listed for the 645, so clearly they still market them, at the very least. There is no particular reason why that particular guy should know what Pentax America is doing, is there?

Mar 16, 2014 at 07:33 PM
tsjanik

p.5 #9 · Official: Pentax 645Z Medium Format priced at $8,499

Tariq Gibran wrote:
.......... seems like there is more to it than Ricoh/ Pentax simply forgetting to list the lenses on their site.

Tariq, I wouldn't take that statement too literally. My impression is that Ricoh is going to "persuade" Pentax USA to start making all the 645 lenses available in the US. Pentax USA didn't even want to offer the 645D, let alone the lenses
Hoya didn't care about the camera business, Ricoh apparently does.

Mar 16, 2014 at 09:07 PM
Matt Grum
• •
p.5 #10 · Official: Pentax 645Z Medium Format priced at $8,499

Tariq Gibran wrote:
Yeah, definitely naming the camera using the release year is a terrible idea. I bet it ends up being 645D II.

Nope, it looks like they're calling it the "Z".... and presumably marketing it to.... teenagers?

http://www.camera-pentax.jp/new2014apr/pc/

Apr 11, 2014 at 07:13 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

tsjanik

p.5 #11 · Official: Pentax 645Z Medium Format priced at $8,499

Apparently Ricoh has convinced Pentax USA to handle the FA lenses. There are now 16 lenses listed at B&H

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?atclk=Brand_Pentax&ci=467&N=4288584244+4291284238

Apr 11, 2014 at 02:36 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.5 #12 · Official: Pentax 645Z Medium Format priced at $8,499

tsjanik wrote:
Apparently Ricoh has convinced Pentax USA to handle the FA lenses. There are now 16 lenses listed at B&H

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?atclk=Brand_Pentax&ci=467&N=4288584244+4291284238

Nice! With this availability AND the relatively reasonable lens prices (for MF) coupled with the $8500 price of the new 645Z, I think Ricoh/ Pentax may have a decent opportunity at chiseling out a nice niche for themselves.

Apr 11, 2014 at 03:34 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.5 #13 · Official: Pentax 645Z Medium Format priced at $8,499

Full Specs...

http://photorumors.com/2014/04/12/pentax-645z-detailed-specifications/#more-56804

Apr 12, 2014 at 05:26 PM
Dpedraza
• • •
p.5 #14 · Official: Pentax 645Z Medium Format priced at $8,499

Tariq Gibran wrote:
Full Specs...

http://photorumors.com/2014/04/12/pentax-645z-detailed-specifications/#more-56804

I'd be interested to see high iso shots... 100-200k iso
video in mfd? weird to me..

The price point sounds nice though $8500 est

Apr 13, 2014 at 04:00 AM
sirimiri
• • • •
p.5 #15 · Official: Pentax 645Z Medium Format priced at $8,499

I've said it before, I'll say it again:

Go, Pentax, go!

Plucky. Purposeful. Pentax.

Apr 13, 2014 at 06:48 AM
Dpedraza
• • •
p.5 #16 · Official: Pentax 645Z Medium Format priced at $8,499

I guess Pentax decided to shut people up and add more lenses to the US market.

Apr 13, 2014 at 11:27 PM
molson
• • • • • •
p.5 #17 · Official: Pentax 645Z Medium Format priced at $8,499

Dpedraza wrote:
I guess Pentax decided to shut people up and add more lenses to the US market.

I guess they still have a warehouse full of the old lenses from the 1990's they can't get rid of...

Apr 14, 2014 at 01:32 AM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.5 #18 · Official: Pentax 645Z Medium Format priced at $8,499

molson wrote:
I guess they still have a warehouse full of the old lenses from the 1990's they can't get rid of...

It's going to be interesting to see how this plays out if this is the case, particularly if they start running out of old stock.

Apr 14, 2014 at 01:44 AM
Dpedraza
• • •
p.5 #19 · Official: Pentax 645Z Medium Format priced at $8,499

I mean they have a few newer lenses.. All the old 645 lenses work on the camera as well. So it's not like they are limited... People may be limited if they refuse to use the old glass. I thought I read that the old MF and some of the AF were fairly decent on the film cameras. I considered buying the film 645 but accidentally won a mamiya rb instead

Apr 14, 2014 at 01:56 AM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.5 #20 · Official: Pentax 645Z Medium Format priced at $8,499

Dpedraza wrote:
I mean they have a few newer lenses.. All the old 645 lenses work on the camera as well. So it's not like they are limited... People may be limited if they refuse to use the old glass. I thought I read that the old MF and some of the AF were fairly decent on the film cameras. I considered buying the film 645 but accidentally won a mamiya rb instead

Many of the older lenses are very good. My question was more about what Pentax might do if the system starts really selling (and depletes all the old lens stock). Will they re-start production of the same lenses in Vietnam (where the current lenses are made), a very expensive undertaking I would think. Maybe they will just slowly introduce updated models (more likely).

Apr 14, 2014 at 02:06 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password