Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4              8       9       end

Official: Pentax 645Z Medium Format priced at $8,499

sirimiri
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · Official: Pentax 645Z Medium Format priced at $8,499

tsjanik wrote:
...The only older lens missing is the 600mm A*.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151169813787693&set=a.10151169813747693.439796.101083642692&type=3&theater

It looks like they make a point of only showing the FA-series lenses in that graphic. I used to own the 600mm 645A* ED-IF alphabet soup lens. It had some really great mechanical touches. It wasn't Mamiya APO sharp, but it was still a very good lens with great color.

I hope the current owner in the Bay area is putting to good use. Such a lens begs to be used for landscapes and its very unique point of view.

Feb 09, 2014 at 04:31 AM
lsquare
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · Official: Pentax 645Z Medium Format priced at $8,499

Tariq Gibran wrote:
Yeah, it just depends on who is buying. I would certainly go for the Pentax myself but I'm perfectly fine with buying older, used 645 lenses. A serious MF professional user who needs the versatility/ flexibility (even occasionally) of a current, existing system (either to own or rent as needed) will find the Pentax lacking. For instance, there are currently only three available new lenses in the U.S. - a 25, 55 and 90 Macro. Compare that to the new lens line-up of Phase or Hasselblad and you can see the problem. So, the complete lack of any current
...Show more

Is Pentax/Ricoh even committed to the 645 system? I wonder how they're going to stimulate demand and grow the market without having a bigger lens lineup?

Feb 09, 2014 at 08:49 AM
lsquare
• • •
p.3 #3 · Official: Pentax 645Z Medium Format priced at $8,499

molson wrote:
They'll be up to a four-lens system, once the new "mystery zoom" arrives... how many lenses do you need?

How about a UWA, standard zoom, and telephoto zoom lens?

Feb 09, 2014 at 08:52 AM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.3 #4 · Official: Pentax 645Z Medium Format priced at $8,499

lsquare wrote:
Is Pentax/Ricoh even committed to the 645 system? I wonder how they're going to stimulate demand and grow the market without having a bigger lens lineup?

The fact that they are releasing this significant'y updated 645D with a new lens is probably a good sign they are committed. Why would they waste the resources if they were not? They have been slowly introducing new lenses for the system since the 645D was released - 25mm, 55mm, 90mm Macro and now what looks to be a wide angle zoom. I do think they desperately need a few longer lenses though. Probably just a new120 and 180 like the Leica S system offers would do it.

Feb 09, 2014 at 02:09 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.3 #5 · Official: Pentax 645Z Medium Format priced at $8,499

lsquare wrote:
How about a UWA, standard zoom, and telephoto zoom lens?

The Pentax 25mm is comparable to what is offered by others for this format (Hasselblad and Leica offer a 24 as their widest and Phase a 28). Telephoto is where the big hole is imo for new lenses.

Feb 09, 2014 at 02:17 PM
lsquare
• • •
p.3 #6 · Official: Pentax 645Z Medium Format priced at $8,499

Tariq Gibran wrote:
The Pentax 25mm is comparable to what is offered by others for this format (Hasselblad and Leica offer a 24 as their widest and Phase a 28). Telephoto is where the big hole is imo for new lenses.

I meant a UWA zoom. I'm not very familiar with MF systems, but I don't see a lot of zooms available. I get that it's easier to optimize and obtain the best image quality by going with primes, but having zooms could be a big selling point for Ricoh.

Feb 09, 2014 at 02:49 PM
lsquare
• • •
p.3 #7 · Official: Pentax 645Z Medium Format priced at $8,499

Tariq Gibran wrote:
The fact that they are releasing this significant'y updated 645D with a new lens is probably a good sign they are committed. Why would they waste the resources if they were not? They have been slowly introducing new lenses for the system since the 645D was released - 25mm, 55mm, 90mm Macro and now what looks to be a wide angle zoom. I do think they desperately need a few longer lenses though. Probably just a new120 and 180 like the Leica S system offers would do it.

They're moving quite slowly, which is why I question their commitment to the format. It's like as if they're taking a page from Apple and treating this as a hobby.

Feb 09, 2014 at 02:50 PM
tsjanik

p.3 #8 · Official: Pentax 645Z Medium Format priced at $8,499

AFAIK the FA lenses are still in production and are available most places throughout the world, except the US. Perhaps Pentax USA will change now that there's a new president of Pentax USA who came from Ricoh. By way of example, here's a listing from Henry's in Toronto:

http://www.henrys.com/Categories/171-Medium-Format-PENTAX.aspx/1/80000010%5ePENTAX

BTW Sirimiri I once contacted you about the 600mm and Tariq I once sold you a Pentax 645 body which you returned ):

Feb 09, 2014 at 02:57 PM
molson
• • • • • •
p.3 #9 · Official: Pentax 645Z Medium Format priced at $8,499

tsjanik wrote:
AFAIK the FA lenses are still in production and are available most places throughout the world, except the US. Perhaps Pentax USA will change now that there's a new president of Pentax USA who came from Ricoh. By way of example, here's a listing from Henry's in Toronto:

http://www.henrys.com/Categories/171-Medium-Format-PENTAX.aspx/1/80000010%5ePENTAX

BTW Sirimiri I once contacted you about the 600mm and Tariq I once sold you a Pentax 645 body which you returned ):

Production of these lenses ended years ago, but Pentax probably still has a warehouse full of old stock.

Pentax Canada dumped all of their remaining 645 lenses and accessories a few years ago, and a few big stores like Henry's bought all the inventory for pennies on the dollar - only to watch it collect dust.

Feb 09, 2014 at 03:22 PM
uintaangler
• • • •
p.3 #10 · Official: Pentax 645Z Medium Format priced at $8,499

molson wrote:
Production of these lenses ended years ago, but Pentax probably still has a warehouse full of old stock.

Pentax Canada dumped all of their remaining 645 lenses and accessories a few years ago, and a few big stores like Henry's bought all the inventory for pennies on the dollar - only to watch it collect dust.

Are you saying that Henry's purchased the 25mm lens for pennies on the dollar and leaves the price at $5,000 while nobody buys it - does that really make business sense?

Feb 09, 2014 at 03:27 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.3 #11 · Official: Pentax 645Z Medium Format priced at $8,499

tsjanik wrote:

Wow, I remember that 645 body. That was quite a while back!

Yeah, I think all of those older FA lenses have been out of production for quite some time (if they are "Made in Japan", that's a certainty). The ones from Henry's are all special order and I bet they come from remaining stock which has been stockpiled in Japan for the home market.

Feb 09, 2014 at 03:31 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.3 #12 · Official: Pentax 645Z Medium Format priced at $8,499

uintaangler wrote:
Are you saying that Henry's purchased the 25mm lens for pennies on the dollar and leaves the price at $5,000 while nobody buys it - does that really make business sense?

He's referring to the older, FA lenses (Pentax-A versions, not Pentax-D or Pentax-DA which are newer). The 25mm is new and currently in production - made in Vietnam. The current production lenses are the 25, 55 and 90mm Macro as far as I'm aware (all the lenses introduced since the 645D started shipping).

Edited on Feb 09, 2014 at 03:38 PM · View previous versions

Feb 09, 2014 at 03:34 PM
molson
• • • • • •
p.3 #13 · Official: Pentax 645Z Medium Format priced at $8,499

uintaangler wrote:

No, I was referring to all of the old, out-of-production FA-645 lenses...

The 25mm, 55mm, and 90mm are new D-FA lenses that are (as far as we know) currently in production.

edit - obviously Tariq types faster than I do...

Feb 09, 2014 at 03:36 PM
uintaangler
• • • •
p.3 #14 · Official: Pentax 645Z Medium Format priced at $8,499

Thanks for clarifying that for me.

Feb 09, 2014 at 03:41 PM
tsjanik

p.3 #15 · Official: Pentax 645Z Medium Format priced at $8,499

FWIW, I have seen a 645 35mm FA labeled Assembled in Viet Nam and I do remember a Hoya statement when they announced that the 645NII and 67II were to be discontinued that the production of 645 lenses was to continue. (FWIW)

Feb 09, 2014 at 03:47 PM
uintaangler
• • • •
p.3 #16 · Official: Pentax 645Z Medium Format priced at $8,499

molson wrote:
obviously Tariq types faster than I do...

Tariq doesn't type, he thinks about what he wants to say and it then shows up on the forum

Feb 09, 2014 at 03:53 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.3 #17 · Official: Pentax 645Z Medium Format priced at $8,499

uintaangler wrote:
Tariq doesn't type, he thinks about what he wants to say and it then shows up on the forum

Ha ha!

Feb 09, 2014 at 03:58 PM
uintaangler
• • • •
p.3 #18 · Official: Pentax 645Z Medium Format priced at $8,499

You are a techno-geek and you know it!

Feb 09, 2014 at 04:02 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.3 #19 · Official: Pentax 645Z Medium Format priced at $8,499