New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Nikon 50mm f/1.8g special edition

c4change
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Nikon 50mm f/1.8g special edition

I know this special edition has the same optical design, with enhanced knurling ring and a silver decorative ring. But is there any difference in manual focus damping between the two? I'd like to know. Thanks!

Feb 05, 2014 at 12:40 PM
james.d53
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Nikon 50mm f/1.8g special edition

Don't think so.

Feb 05, 2014 at 04:42 PM
aspirebooth
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Nikon 50mm f/1.8g special edition

The same optical design BUT seriously. Try them side by side and you may notice the AF on the DF version is faster. That's what I was finding when I was playing with them side by side. Seems to me it has a different AF motor.

Feb 05, 2014 at 07:45 PM
VinnieJ
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Nikon 50mm f/1.8g special edition

aspirebooth wrote:
The same optical design BUT seriously. Try them side by side and you may notice the AF on the DF version is faster. That's what I was finding when I was playing with them side by side. Seems to me it has a different AF motor.

Nikon claims same AF but tweaked for the Df.....whatever that means.

Feb 06, 2014 at 07:55 AM
VinnieJ
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Nikon 50mm f/1.8g special edition

c4change wrote:
I know this special edition has the same optical design, with enhanced knurling ring and a silver decorative ring. But is there any difference in manual focus damping between the two? I'd like to know. Thanks!

I own the new one and had the old one but not side by side. Besides the feel of the ring I didn't notice a difference but again, never did a side by side comparison.

Feb 06, 2014 at 07:56 AM
c4change
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Nikon 50mm f/1.8g special edition

By "the feel fo the ring", do you mean the rubber knurling texture, or better damping for manual focus?

VinnieJ wrote:
I own the new one and had the old one but not side by side. Besides the feel of the ring I didn't notice a difference but again, never did a side by side comparison.

Feb 06, 2014 at 09:29 AM
VinnieJ
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Nikon 50mm f/1.8g special edition

c4change wrote:
By "the feel fo the ring", do you mean the rubber knurling texture, or better damping for manual focus?

The rubber texture.

Feb 06, 2014 at 09:32 AM
subidiom
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Nikon 50mm f/1.8g special edition

I have both. While the texture of the focus rings are different, I can't say one is better. The special edition is much stiffer to focus though. I would not say 'damped' though, as that implies a smoother feel - it's not smoother by any means. Just more stiff.

Feb 06, 2014 at 10:13 AM
lxdesign
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Nikon 50mm f/1.8g special edition

I didn't bother getting the special edition, as I already has the AFS old version.

Feb 06, 2014 at 10:28 PM
c4change
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Nikon 50mm f/1.8g special edition

Okay thanks!

subidiom wrote:
I have both. While the texture of the focus rings are different, I can't say one is better. The special edition is much stiffer to focus though. I would not say 'damped' though, as that implies a smoother feel - it's not smoother by any means. Just more stiff.

Feb 09, 2014 at 05:31 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.