New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Dancers Not In The Dance Studio

jeremy_clay
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Dancers Not In The Dance Studio

Sorry again about the logos - tagline and my logo were requested by the client for online use. Why they wanted my logo on them for web, no idea. There are others that I think are even cooler but I don't have release rights on them yet.

*src=/"facebook.com/jeremyclayphotography
http://i.imgur.com/OfOULBi.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/OBTNGhv.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/HOgcvAJ.jpg

Feb 05, 2014 at 12:19 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Dancers Not In The Dance Studio

I really like the first shot, even though the lighting is pretty heavy. But I love how you handled the lighting vs. the darkness of the trees behind her.

Second and third shots, their black costume blends into the background, and the bg in both of those are pretty distracting. In the third shot, your lighting cast a shadow on the dancer's legs, surprised by that from you.

Feb 05, 2014 at 02:35 PM
Squirrely Eyed
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Dancers Not In The Dance Studio

Really like the 1st one. Thanks for sharing.

Feb 05, 2014 at 03:03 PM
jeremy_clay
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Dancers Not In The Dance Studio

friscoron wrote:
In the third shot, your lighting cast a shadow on the dancer's legs, surprised by that from you.

Why? Is that considered bad lighting?

I do not understand what you mean by 'lighting is pretty heavy'. Cheers.

Feb 05, 2014 at 03:29 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Dancers Not In The Dance Studio

jeremy_clay wrote:
Why? Is that considered bad lighting?

I do not understand what you mean by 'lighting is pretty heavy'. Cheers.

Doesn't really matter if I consider something "bad lighting", that's not what I was saying. If anything, you usually are attentive to all the details and I'm surprised, I guess, that shadows on your subject doesn't bother you. I guess it was intentional? I just would have done it differently, but that doesn't mean I would have done it right.

As for the first shot, it looks like the dancer is in complete shade, although it may already be dusk, it's impossible to tell. But if it's in daylight and the dancer was in shade, I probably would have just shot it in the natural light -- but that's my style and it certainly doesn't mean it's better. I really like what you did there. There probably wasn't enough ambient light to shoot it without lights.

Feb 05, 2014 at 03:46 PM
jeremy_clay
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Dancers Not In The Dance Studio

friscoron wrote:
Doesn't really matter if I consider something "bad lighting", that's not what I was saying. If anything, you usually are attentive to all the details and I'm surprised, I guess, that shadows on your subject doesn't bother you. I guess it was intentional? I just would have done it differently, but that doesn't mean I would have done it right.

As for the first shot, it looks like the dancer is in complete shade, although it may already be dusk, it's impossible to tell. But if it's in daylight and the dancer was in shade, I probably would have just shot
...Show more

Gotcha, thank you for elaborating.

Feb 05, 2014 at 03:50 PM
bryanlindsey
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Dancers Not In The Dance Studio

I think the lighting is too harsh and I personally don't care for the background. I know you're going for an incongruent look, but I hate to say that I think this is a "miss" (for your level of talent, anyway).

Feb 05, 2014 at 06:32 PM
SGallant
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Dancers Not In The Dance Studio

I like the shots, and I like the lighting. For me you have drawn my attention to the main subject. The only thing that really bothers me is the white thing hanging in the background in #2. It almost looks lit and the rail leads my eye into it. Is that like some sorta JC Easter egg? lol

Feb 07, 2014 at 12:11 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Dancers Not In The Dance Studio

Great idea to take dancers out of the studio! But I really think you could have picked better locations for doing this. I find the backgrounds are pretty busy and your subject placement within these backgrounds are not doing you any favors.

Because of this conflict with the background I don't think your style of lighting is working here in this setting.

Feb 07, 2014 at 08:46 PM
viscosiphotogr

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Dancers Not In The Dance Studio

very nice

Feb 09, 2014 at 01:46 PM
Jess Edward
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Dancers Not In The Dance Studio

Great balance of strobes and natural light. I especially like the second one.

Feb 09, 2014 at 04:22 PM
CW100
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Dancers Not In The Dance Studio

nice series

Feb 10, 2014 at 01:31 PM
McGrattan
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Dancers Not In The Dance Studio

The drama of the first shot and the grace of the third are both things that come to mind when I think of dancers, and its refreshing when these qualities are amplified by the locations, not simply juxtaposed. I can understand why you're so eager to share the rest, what an exciting assignment!

Feb 11, 2014 at 02:26 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.