New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Super Cheap Filter Set?

Photo GeekMan
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Super Cheap Filter Set?

I'm looking to dip my feet into using filters, specifically ND filters, and I was all set to buy a few ND filters (1-, 2-, and 3-stop filters) from the big names when I stumbled across this set for under $20. I know they're plastic and will most likely alter the image somewhat, however the reviews seem to be pretty much fantastic. Even if they turn out to alter the image in ways I don't like, I'm thinking it would be worth it just to be able to play around with ND filters and learn what works and what doesn't. If I don't like using ND filters then I can chuck these and if I do like using filters I can always buy professional grade later.

What do you think?

Feb 05, 2014 at 11:56 AM
DGC1
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Super Cheap Filter Set?

Old proverb..."You get what you pay for".

Feb 05, 2014 at 02:55 PM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Super Cheap Filter Set?

the 1 & 2 stop are mostly a waste of time. WRT 'quality', well......

Feb 05, 2014 at 03:21 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Super Cheap Filter Set?

Go ahead. You may find that you don't care for using ND filters, or find them a waste of time. I've spent far more exploring what for me turned out to be photographic dead ends.

Feb 05, 2014 at 06:41 PM
GroovyGeek
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Super Cheap Filter Set?

howardm4 wrote:
the 1 & 2 stop are mostly a waste of time. WRT 'quality', well......

^^^
What he said - don't bother with the 1 and 2 stop. You can approximate their effect with a polarizer if you really need it. As to the 3-stop, I can't say anything specific, but at this price you have to wonder. For $20 more you can buy a good-quality 3-stop
http://maxsaver.net/Hoya-77mm-HMC-Neutral-Density-ND8x-ND8-Multi-Coated-Glass-Filter-1.aspx
Don't let the Hong Kong address of this shop dissuade you. Top notch stuff and service.

Feb 07, 2014 at 01:17 AM
schlotz
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Super Cheap Filter Set?

Photo GeekMan wrote:
...Even if they turn out to alter the image in ways I don't like, I'm thinking it would be worth it just to be able to play around with ND filters and learn what works and what doesn't....

What doesn't work with cheap filters doesn't necessarily correlate to not working with good filters.
As Doug indicated, you get what you pay for!

Feb 07, 2014 at 09:44 AM
Roland W
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Super Cheap Filter Set?

I agree with the others to just start with a 3 stop. Normally, you can handle other light levels with exposure adjustment, or by adding a polarizer to the solid ND. Another possible supplier is the US based company called 2filter.com. One of the many solid ND filters they sell is the Marumi brand, which are of good quality, at a more reasonable price than the really expensive brands. Check out their 3 stop ND at http://www.2filter.com/marumi/MarumiNDfilters.html, and then explore the other brands they offer.

Feb 07, 2014 at 11:31 AM
ange
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Super Cheap Filter Set?

Roland,

+1 on the Marumi brand and 2filter. I have one of their protective filters on a rather vulnerable wide angle lens and it has been very good. I got it from 2filter.

Andy

Feb 07, 2014 at 11:02 PM
JakeB17
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Super Cheap Filter Set?

If you're using a high end camera, putting quality lenses on it, and shooting raw then why throw that all away by using a crappy filter on the front of it all?

Sharpness, color, flare resistance/ghosting, and focus accuracy are all things to consider when adding filters.

For around $50 you can get a decent Hoya or Marumi ND .9 (3 stop ND). Start with that, and add others if you feel like you're missing something.

Some options to consider for your second purchase are an ND 1.8 (6 stop), an ND 3.0 (10 stop), a variable ND, or a 3 stop grad ND (soft or hard).

Feb 07, 2014 at 11:29 PM
Photo GeekMan
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Super Cheap Filter Set?

Thank you all for your replies!

After all your helpful advice, some soul searching (and a lot of education via Googling ND info) I've decided on a sorta-compromise of buying everything. Simply put; I'm going to purchase the cheapo set mentioned in my first post, but I'm also buying a Hoya ND-400 (9 stop) filter. This way I can play around with the 3-stop cheapo filter and use the very good 9-stop when I want to be serious. At worst I'll spend $20 on crap, hate using it and give it to my kids to play with. At the very least, having all these filters will help me learn whether 3-, 6-, 9-, or even 12-stops works for the photographic effects I'm looking to create.

Feb 07, 2014 at 11:51 PM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Super Cheap Filter Set?

honestly, it doesn't sound like you've given much consideration as to what you want from these things other than 'play around'. I wouldn't rush out and get a 9-stop filter just because (have you read about how difficult they are to focus? do you have a decent tripod? so that your loooong exposures actually come out? do you want to do a bunch of those misty water photos?) Have you considered how many stops you actually *need* to get whatever job done?

I'm not trying to be harsh; just trying to have you spend wisely

Feb 08, 2014 at 07:32 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Super Cheap Filter Set?

I see no need to play around with ND filters. It is obvious how they reduce light.
I find the ND 0.9 (3-stop) and ND 1.8 (6-stop) to be most useful.

EBH

Feb 08, 2014 at 09:23 AM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Super Cheap Filter Set?

pretty much

I think I have/use a CPL, 4stop and vari in my kit.

Feb 08, 2014 at 09:57 AM
Mataz426
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Super Cheap Filter Set?

If you are just starting out in photography you might not see the difference from a cheap set to a good one? Get back to us if you need help getting it off your lens

Feb 08, 2014 at 12:44 PM
Michael White
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Super Cheap Filter Set?

One problem with cheap filters especially the nd type is color cast and or patterns that the filter injects to the image that isn't really there

Feb 09, 2014 at 02:43 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.