FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Wasatch Front range

ben egbert
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Wasatch Front range

I just had to do something so yesterday I drove to a place south of Pelican Point on the west side of Utah Lake. This 9 image stitch stretches from Provo City on the left to Mount Nebo on the right with Utah Lake and shore in the foreground.
In some years I get the range reflected on the ice but fresh snow eliminated that effect. It was clear for a change so that was good.

Feb 04, 2014 at 01:04 PM
slam05

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Wasatch Front range

Very nice. I'm sure it would look great printed big.

Feb 04, 2014 at 01:19 PM
harshaj1
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Wasatch Front range

Majestic view. Great job on capturing this.
Harsha

Feb 04, 2014 at 01:35 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Wasatch Front range

slam05 wrote:
Very nice. I'm sure it would look great printed big.

Thanks its 11x50 inches at 300PPI. Out of my printers range unless I split it into two prints. I do have one from 2 years ago printed with a full reflection of the mountains, but a hazy day as many winter days are around here.

Feb 04, 2014 at 01:40 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Wasatch Front range

harshaj1 wrote:
Majestic view. Great job on capturing this.
Harsha

Thanks much.

Feb 04, 2014 at 01:40 PM
film_4ever
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Wasatch Front range

Incredible image !

Do you do the stitching in Photoshop, Photoshop plug-in, or other software? (Sorry I'm not a bona fide landscape photographer, but I dabble in it occasionally.)

Feb 04, 2014 at 03:20 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Wasatch Front range

film_4ever wrote:
Incredible image !

Do you do the stitching in Photoshop, Photoshop plug-in, or other software? (Sorry I'm not a bona fide landscape photographer, but I dabble in it occasionally.)

I did this in Photoshop using photomerge which is under edit>automation>photomerge. The key is good starting images and the merge become painless. It helps to have 16GB of ram.

I shot these at a long focal length of 78mm in manual mode, same exposure for each image. I rotated the tripod head on a perfectly level tripod with lots of overlap. I used 9 shots but could have used 5 with less overlap.

After they are stitched, I need to crop the ragged edges, flatten and process. The light was such that the processing was easy.

I made 5 other panos this day and it was easy for all of them.

Here is a 17TSE shot single image to show the scene another way. I had to use full upshift to avoid too much foreground so it includes too much sky. The mountain detail holds up remarkably well in the 17mm shot compared to the panos.

I consider a shot like this a curiosity. When you print something that is only 10 inches high, it still looks small even if it is 50 inches or so wide.

17TSE version

Feb 04, 2014 at 03:53 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.