Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

Fuji X - (Relative) Lens AF Speeds

justruss
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Fuji X - (Relative) Lens AF Speeds

This is something I've been wondering about-- and might be a good resource for other folks here. The question is a simple one: What are the relative focus speeds of the various Fuji lenses?

I'm not looking for exact times, unless you have a method for accurately measuring such.

I'm looking for something like:

"I find the 18mm tends to focus about 30% faster than the 35mm lens."

or

"18mm (baseline)
35mm (30% slower)
60mm (50% slower)"

There are obviously many factors, from which body, to what lighting conditions (PDAF vs CD AF). Let's assume latest firmware at time of your post for lenses and bodies. And by all means lets make this a discussion beyond just listing our personal findings. And if the thread is popular as a reference, let it be a living thread with subsequent posts as new firmware, new bodies, and new lenses are released.

Feb 04, 2014 at 12:52 PM
Spyro P.
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Fuji X - (Relative) Lens AF Speeds

I cant really give percentages, but in my experience the fastest one is the 14, then the 18, then the zooms that have a step motor (I think all of them do? I only have the 18-55 and the 55-200), then the 35 and the slowest one is the 60. I only tried the 23 and 27 briefly, and they both seemed pretty fast (for fuji ) but I didnt use them long enough to rate.

Feb 04, 2014 at 12:58 PM
justruss
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Fuji X - (Relative) Lens AF Speeds

I only have the 18, 35, and 60. On an X-E1. And they focus in that order. I'm stabbing at the percents. But I'd guess the 18 focuses about twice as quickly as the 60.

Of course, much of this has to do with the focal length itself, but that's OK.

Feb 04, 2014 at 01:06 PM
Spyro P.
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Fuji X - (Relative) Lens AF Speeds

twice as quick sounds about right to me, and the 35 somewhere in between, I'd say slightly closer to the 60.

Feb 04, 2014 at 01:10 PM
Dave McGaughey
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Fuji X - (Relative) Lens AF Speeds

Feb 04, 2014 at 01:58 PM
justruss
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Fuji X - (Relative) Lens AF Speeds

Do you trust those numbers Dave?

Feb 04, 2014 at 04:05 PM
Dave McGaughey
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Fuji X - (Relative) Lens AF Speeds

justruss wrote:
Do you trust those numbers Dave?

Yes. Why shouldn't I? Presumably Fuji has carefully tested the lenses in a controlled situation. Also, the numbers seem in-line with my lenses (14/23/35/60) and from what I've read online. Does something look odd to you?

Feb 04, 2014 at 04:07 PM
speedmaster20d
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Fuji X - (Relative) Lens AF Speeds

I also find my Fuji primes 14mm and 35 mm are quite a bit slower than the 18-55 kit on my X-E2. I think it is the rather simple stepper motor Fuji puts in those lenses. Neither of these primes are silent and smooth like the USM used in Canon lenses. I can hear the gearing sound inside the lens when it focuses.

With the 35mm, the servo is very unstable in continuous mode and misses all the time. I gave up using it in that mode. In single mode it is OK, but one strange behavior is that even if focus is previously locked, it will hunt again if you press the shutter button for the 2nd time to repeat the photo, it is very inconvenient as it adds to the shot-to-shot lag.

Despite Fuji advertisements I don't find the X-E2 performance convincing at all with my primes. If I am to buy a Fuji camera again these issues must be solved or it will be the end of my venture into Fuji. It's a pity because their sensor and optics is really good. When I tried Olympus in comparison, the experience was day and night difference with Oly almost as quick and snappy as a low end DSLR but I didn't like the image quality/optics.

Does anyone know if X-T1 is similar or better?

Feb 04, 2014 at 05:00 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

galenapass
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Fuji X - (Relative) Lens AF Speeds

The X-T1 is not out yet, and most "hands on reviews" are watered down and essentially a regurgitation of camera specs and "how it feels in the hand". I saw only one review that addressed AF, but, can't find it now. If I recall it was stated that AF felt quicker than the X-E2. I don't really know what that means. It will be nice to see some REAL details soon.
I think a lot of us are waiting to see how AF tracking works as well.

Feb 04, 2014 at 08:50 PM
dasrocket
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Fuji X - (Relative) Lens AF Speeds

From slowest to fastest in my experience: 60, 35, 18-55. That is also the order of loudest to quitetest for whatever reason. This, I find more bothersome, personally..

Feb 04, 2014 at 11:06 PM
Delatant
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Fuji X - (Relative) Lens AF Speeds

Maybe Speedmaster has a faulty 35 - mine is in sequence as everyone has indicated - no hunting (unless REALLY low light - or close focus). The rest seem to be in line with what I have experienced also (fastest to slowest) - 14, 23, 35, 55-200, 18-55. I returned by E2 - while it was faster at focus, the T1 had been rumored and I decided to wait to see if it wasn't even faster - I hope so. I agree that the Olympus OMD is FAST (almost as fast as my D3s) and always accurate - a GREAT novice camera IMHO due to m4/3rds sensor. I never recommend the higher end Fuji's to a novice - to complicated - maybe the T1 will help solve that problem.

Feb 04, 2014 at 11:26 PM
justruss
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Fuji X - (Relative) Lens AF Speeds

Dave McGaughey wrote:
Yes. Why shouldn't I? Presumably Fuji has carefully tested the lenses in a controlled situation. Also, the numbers seem in-line with my lenses (14/23/35/60) and from what I've read online. Does something look odd to you?

Nothing looks odd to me. But I tend to view brand-sponsored data on things like speed, performance, and precision with a grain of salt. They do, after all, have an agenda-- selling more stuff.

The other thing is that I assume those tests are under optimal, controlled settings. I don't doubt the chart accurately reflects the optimal findings from the actual tests conducted.

But I do think we get more variables into the mix, and a closer approximation of real-world results... when we get outside opinions (from actual shooters) from real-world use.

Comparing the chart to some of the responses, I wonder if the variability we're seeing in the 18-55 performance is because some people are shooting that lends in PDAF mode, while others don't have cameras that support the feature. Some people are putting that lens in the fastest end of the spectrum, and some are putting it on the slowest end. Interesting.

Feb 05, 2014 at 07:56 AM
Spyro P.
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Fuji X - (Relative) Lens AF Speeds

galenapass wrote:
The X-T1 is not out yet, and most "hands on reviews" are watered down and essentially a regurgitation of camera specs and "how it feels in the hand". I saw only one review that addressed AF, but, can't find it now.

http://www.fujirumors.com/first-look-fujifilm-x-t1/

RIco is good, I bought a couple of cameras after his reviews and everything he had said was spot on. He actually publiches a couple of books on X-series cameras, he knows them inside out (and fuji involves him in the development phase of every new cam)

Feb 05, 2014 at 10:43 AM
Dave McGaughey
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Fuji X - (Relative) Lens AF Speeds

justruss wrote:
Nothing looks odd to me. But I tend to view brand-sponsored data on things like speed, performance, and precision with a grain of salt. They do, after all, have an agenda-- selling more stuff.

The other thing is that I assume those tests are under optimal, controlled settings. I don't doubt the chart accurately reflects the optimal findings from the actual tests conducted.

But I do think we get more variables into the mix, and a closer approximation of real-world results... when we get outside opinions (from actual shooters) from real-world use.

Comparing the chart to some of the responses,
...Show more

I'm not saying that everyone will attain AF in less than 0.whatever seconds, but I think the chart is useful for comparing relative AF speeds. It's also interesting to see some lenses getting a huge boost in PDAF.

Feb 05, 2014 at 03:27 PM
hauxon
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Fuji X - (Relative) Lens AF Speeds

I have the 14, 18-55, 23, 35 and 60 and a X-E2 and the 60 is by far the slowest. The other lenses focus fast enough for me but still slower than most Canon lenses. For most uses it's good and I feel accuracy is at least equal to what I'm used to with Canon. Canon users have accepted a trade off in speed for accuracy with the 85L and I kind of look at it the same. Hope the planned super-tele will have more capable focus motor.

Feb 05, 2014 at 03:49 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password