New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · SD Card Error - Help Needed

muralikreddy

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · SD Card Error - Help Needed

Hi,

I use 32GB Sandisk Extreme Pro SD card 95/mbs on my Nikon D800E and unfortunately yesterday when I was clicking photos with it, suddenly the camera stopped recognizing the memory card and gave error. Then I removed the card and tried to read that on my laptop and the laptop is prompting me to format the card. I'm really worried about my photos on this card and don't want to loose them. Request help from members on how can I recover this data.

Thanks & Regards,

Murali

Feb 04, 2014 at 07:16 AM
MalbikEndar
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · SD Card Error - Help Needed

1. Don't save anything else on the card and don't format.

(You probably knew this).

2. There are utilities for recovering information from damaged cards or hard disks. Do a search, starting with the Sandisk website.

3. Worst case- you can send off for forensic recovery, that will be VERY expensive.

Feb 04, 2014 at 08:17 AM
atwl77
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · SD Card Error - Help Needed

Shouldn't your Sandisk card come with a serial number for RescuePRO Deluxe?

Feb 06, 2014 at 10:46 AM
muralikreddy

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · SD Card Error - Help Needed

Thanks for all your help. I have recovered all my images with the help of Rescue Pro Deluxe provided free by Sandisk along with the memory card.

Regards,

Murali

Feb 09, 2014 at 07:44 PM
jasonyuen
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · SD Card Error - Help Needed

There's an excellent tool called Recuva that can deep scan any type of media and recover files. The first thing you need to do is remove the SD card and do not use it anymore at all. You risk overwriting sectors on the SD card and rendering your photos useless. This goes the same with any other kind of storage media you have like hard drive, SSD, USB flash drive, etc.

Feb 09, 2014 at 10:43 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · SD Card Error - Help Needed

just for reference when a so called format is done all it zeros out the file allocation table. this is where the info on each file is stored. it prevents overwriting of a used area. if you destroy/format the table the device assumes it has carte blanche to overwrite any data anywhere on the card. it sees it as empty.

Feb 10, 2014 at 12:27 AM
jasonyuen
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · SD Card Error - Help Needed

sjms wrote:
just for reference when a so called format is done all it zeros out the file allocation table. this is where the info on each file is stored. it prevents overwriting of a used area. if you destroy/format the table the device assumes it has carte blanche to overwrite any data anywhere on the card. it sees it as empty.

Yup. That's why it's important not to use the card any further because that risks overwriting important data. File recovery software will deep scan the memory card regardless of what's on the table. A good recovery software will even make a 1:1 duplicate of the memory card and work off that instead of directly off the memory card.

Feb 10, 2014 at 08:08 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.