New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Is this a good sign?

rattymouse
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Is this a good sign?

When you are selling an item here and the buyer offers to pay shipping with their own UPS or Fed Ex number, is that a VERY good sign you are dealing with an honest buyer? I do not know so am asking for other's opinion.

It seems to me that having an account at a shipping company exposes the buyer more (less likely to commit fraud) than perhaps other purchase methods and so would be a very GOOD sign that the buyer is OK.

What's your view? Am I missing something?

Feb 03, 2014 at 10:58 PM
mitesh
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Is this a good sign?

If you are using Paypal, don't forget to make sure the prepaid label is addressed to the Paypal confirmed address.

Feb 03, 2014 at 11:06 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Is this a good sign?

It doesn't mean anything really. I can send you a label to ship to another country, doesn't mean I'm a legit buyer. Check their feedback/post count, and make sure the label is to the confirmed address as mitesh mentioned.

Feb 04, 2014 at 09:01 AM
ronfronberg
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Is this a good sign?

I would also check with the shipping company to verify if insurance is included.

Feb 04, 2014 at 12:53 PM
xnevp

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Is this a good sign?

it doesn't really guarantee anything...

Feb 16, 2014 at 07:51 PM
Jon Joshua
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Is this a good sign?

If you're using paypal, read paypal's terms and conditions and then make your decision.

http://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/security/seller-protection-learn-more

Feb 16, 2014 at 10:26 PM
kasala

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Is this a good sign?

I would, being overly cautious in many cases, wonder if that meant they were a scammer just because now they aren't even on the hook for shipping costs. On the other hand, I have access to both FedEx and UPS accounts through my employer and would have inclination to do something like this to help both parties out in a transaction.

Feb 27, 2014 at 02:28 PM
kzoockof
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Is this a good sign?

I have done this many times, providing the shipping label. I do this because my business has an account with UPS and we get a pretty good discount. I also like to do it for tracking purposes (it is not uncommon to receive a error'd tracking number).

I would like to point out, every time I do it, I ship it to my Paypal confirmed address (which is my business), I tell the seller this, I provide the seller with my businesses toll free number, I provide the seller with my businesses website address (and inform them they can contact me via any number on the site or the e-mail links from the site). I always use the sellers name and address as the shipped from location (even if they are dropping it off at a UPS site).

But no, there is no guarantee that this results in a safer transaction. In fact, it could be less safe as with some shipments, only the shipper (or in this case, the account number holder) can re-direct a package.

My recommendation with any sizable transaction, get the buyers (or sellers) phone number and talk on the phone. You can get a good sense by doing this, including confirming the area code matches their location! FYI - my old trick used to be to ask people if I could pick up the item in person? If they said no, I became suspicious since a face to face transaction is usually the safest for both parties.

There was a time when I was picking up expensive speakers from a women in Ohio (she just went through a divorce), she was home alone when I got there. I called her from the driveway (how I found out she was home alone) and suggested she call a neighbor to come check me out. The neighbor (male) came out in 5 minutes. I suggested he take a picture of me with his phone, my car and my license plate (I was in the car when I said this). She watched this from her front door, I can tell you her demeanor changed dramatically. I ended up helping her sell her husbands entire sound system (he left her and moved back to Japan). She had no idea what it was worth. In the end, she got more than $20,000 from the sale of it. She sent half of the equipment home with me to sell for her (no, I didn't pay her for that stuff, just promised to give her all the proceeds, which I did).

Mar 10, 2014 at 06:21 PM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.