Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2014 · The Sea Serpent (+new edit)

Scott Kroeker
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · The Sea Serpent (+new edit)

While exploring the rocky/coral shores at our resort I found this "sea serpent" formation. You cant see it from shore. I had to walk through some water and climb up some rocks to find it. Glad I did.

This is one of those win/lose situations for me. While shooting the first image I was so thrilled with the rock formations, great sky, light and water motion I forgot to take my time and think. After taking this capture I thought I had a winner. Only at day's end when reviewing my images I changed my mind. I wished I had either had a higher or lower perspective and an angle that didn't have the buildings in the distant in it.

Photo 2 is my second attempt the fallowing day. This time I got the composition I liked but I didn't get the clouds, light or water motion I had the day before. I did get some nice colours but I was very disappointed. I could have gone back more times but there was so much shore and so many photo possibilities I didn't want to devote all to one location. We hope to go back to this resort next winter and if so, I guarantee you I will be returning to this spot to get it RIGHT!

It isn't easy, in landscape photography, when all the right elements are thrown in your face to keep it calm and remember to think about your photos. Had I done that, I could have walked away with great image. Now, I just have an OK image in my mind but not a tosser. Good enough to share with you all....I think...:/

These are both single exposures with ND and GND filters used.

Feedback always welcome.

**EDIT**
Cloned out the buildings in the first image and added a bit more "punch" to the processing.

Edited on Feb 08, 2014 at 02:16 AM · View previous versions

Feb 03, 2014 at 10:39 PM
MJJPhotos
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · The Sea Serpent (+new edit)

I see your issue, the buildings don't bother me at all. I really like that first shot. Very nice.

Feb 03, 2014 at 10:51 PM
Jim Bau
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · The Sea Serpent (+new edit)

Scott,
I also do not think the buildings detract from the quality of the first shot. It has a much better comp, sky and overall tone. Most would be proud to have it in their collection.
JIm

Feb 03, 2014 at 11:02 PM
Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · The Sea Serpent (+new edit)

Both are magnificent images, Scott.
The colours () of the first are much better- as you mentioned.
It would be a simple matter to clone out the buildings, but I assume you're very opposed to that.
Interesting where different people draw the line within the different contexts of their styles and subject matter.
Charlie

Feb 03, 2014 at 11:42 PM
harshaj1
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · The Sea Serpent (+new edit)

Both areterrific images but prefer #1. The water flow and he sky make that the winner.
Harsha

Feb 04, 2014 at 10:20 AM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · The Sea Serpent (+new edit)

I think these are very nice. Often times, I make the same "mistake". I get all worked up about good light, etc and forget to calm down and think about framing and the process.

Feb 04, 2014 at 10:42 AM
jord217
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · The Sea Serpent (+new edit)

Nice work on both Scott. I actually prefer the composition in #1. It feels more balanced to me. Like others have said, the houses don't really bother me at all.

Feb 04, 2014 at 11:27 AM
Justin Grimm
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · The Sea Serpent (+new edit)

Looks like you had a productive trip Scott! I saw all the other goodies you put up on 500px already too Making me wish I was into serious photography during all my past trips to mexico.

I always like shots with a very prominent main colour theme, so #1 wins over the second for me. The only thing I would do is try to remove the chromatic abberation looking green edge on the upper left rocks. Might just be a simple lens correction fix.

Feb 04, 2014 at 12:44 PM
kmunroe
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · The Sea Serpent (+new edit)

#1 would be my favorite also Scott

Feb 05, 2014 at 04:09 AM
SS-Cote
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · The Sea Serpent (+new edit)

These remind me of your Steep Rock images. The first shot is great. The pattern of the water and clouds really draws you in.

If you want to document the place then I wouldn't clone out the buildings, but this is art so they're a bit of a distraction.

Feb 05, 2014 at 01:10 PM
Scott Kroeker
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · The Sea Serpent (+new edit)

Thank you all very much for you input. I guess it is pretty much unanimous that the buildings are not that HUGE of a deal. Though I am not a bit fan of cloning I will give this one a go.

Feb 06, 2014 at 01:11 AM
Tuan Le
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · The Sea Serpent (+new edit)

I'm sure the third time will be a charm Scott! Not ideal after seeing the composition in your second, but the first one still looks great with the sky and water movement.

Feb 06, 2014 at 01:25 AM
Scott Kroeker
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · The Sea Serpent (+new edit)

Tuan Le wrote:
I'm sure the third time will be a charm Scott! Not ideal after seeing the composition in your second, but the first one still looks great with the sky and water movement.

Thank you very much Tuan!

I have now gone and cloned out the buildings and added a bit more "punch" to the image.

Feb 07, 2014 at 10:35 PM
maneatingshark
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · The Sea Serpent (+new edit)

Hi Scott,

I think you've underrated yourself on frame 1 (or 3), I really like the angle and I think the lower shooting perspective with the wide angle brings me into more of the intricacies of the rocks. The buildings also add some context to the scene and, as others have stated, don't seem to be a bother.

Feb 07, 2014 at 10:56 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · The Sea Serpent (+new edit)

Hey Scott,

Love the last one. Cloning out the buildings was good as they did distract my eyes. Good work, and I can see why you want go back there.

Jim

Feb 07, 2014 at 11:50 PM
kkcy
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · The Sea Serpent (+new edit)

First one is amazing! Love the foam in the waves

Feb 08, 2014 at 12:19 AM
Hardcore
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · The Sea Serpent (+new edit)

Love the last one! The edit wins imo! Great shots all around though.

Feb 08, 2014 at 02:15 AM
pauldng
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · The Sea Serpent (+new edit)

I'll be a bit contrary and admit that I prefer #2.

#1 seems to be mostly about the sky where as in #2 the simpler sky lets the eye focus on the subject (the serpent), and the slightly higher water level strengthens the image as the serpent is now swimming

Paul.

Feb 08, 2014 at 09:54 AM
Scott Kroeker
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · The Sea Serpent (+new edit)

Thank you all once again.

pauldng wrote:
I'll be a bit contrary and admit that I prefer #2.

#1 seems to be mostly about the sky where as in #2 the simpler sky lets the eye focus on the subject (the serpent), and the slightly higher water level strengthens the image as the serpent is now swimming

Paul.

Thank you Paul. I agree. That is why I wished I had #2's composition with #1 light, waves and clouds.

Feb 08, 2014 at 04:58 PM
darr.moore
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · The Sea Serpent (+new edit)

Nice work...I like the post work you did on the last image the best.

Feb 08, 2014 at 07:49 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.