New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2014 · Bag for camera body with 500mm lens

mabidally
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Bag for camera body with 500mm lens

The type of safaris one typically does in Sri Lanka are often in open jeeps in very dusty conditions and very bumpy rough roads. Many leopard sightings are very quick fleeting glimpses and one needs to be quick in getting ones camera ready on a bean bag and taking a shot. Presently I use an old pillow case over my camera/500mm lens + hood, which is placed on my lap and I hold onto it with dear life! This is most uncomfortable as I would like to have both my hands free to hold the side bars on the moving bumpy jeep. I am looking for well padded bag that can hold the camera/lens with hood mounted in a ready to shoot state, so that it can be placed safely on the metal floor boards of the jeep. My second body with a 70-200 lens sits in a Lowepro Minitrekker bag on the floorboards quite happily. The bag should ideally be able to be opened very fast by pulling a couple of velcro straps or one zipper to release the camera/lens.

Any ideas/designs appreciated. (I can consider getting this bag custom made by a local factory.)

Feb 03, 2014 at 12:43 PM
PV Hiker
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Bag for camera body with 500mm lens

Consider these Kinesis photo gear bags as a option.

http://www.kgear.com/store/l.html

You can have it stick out with the hood reversed and put the pillow case over the top. You can strap the bag to the bar or seat in front of you. Could be more options but this is just one.

Feb 03, 2014 at 01:27 PM
mitesh
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Bag for camera body with 500mm lens

^^^ this is also what I use for 800mm lens and 200-400mm lens. Works very well for the use you have indicated.

Feb 03, 2014 at 03:11 PM
Cicopo
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Bag for camera body with 500mm lens

I don't know how long your set up is but I bought a Tamrac 5794 for my 1D4 + 300f2.8 L IS + 2X TC ver lll which measures 20 1/4 inches. I'd guess you could stuff something a little longer in but only maybe 1 inch or so longer.

http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-i-fcSghzDUU/Uo__C-0UCXI/AAAAAAABKIk/wIvITCVnAKA/s1024/DSC_1814.JPG

http://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-hRldqg8fD1Y/Uo__F4wHCgI/AAAAAAABKIs/ZtCIPHXiJBg/s1024/DSC_1815.JPG

http://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-JorpQARV50g/Uo__J7338pI/AAAAAAABKI8/T8kJQHfSZRA/s1024/DSC_1817.JPG

Feb 03, 2014 at 06:36 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Bag for camera body with 500mm lens

mabidally wrote:
The type of safaris one typically does in Sri Lanka are often in open jeeps in very dusty conditions and very bumpy rough roads. Many leopard sightings are very quick fleeting glimpses and one needs to be quick in getting ones camera ready on a bean bag and taking a shot. Presently I use an old pillow case over my camera/500mm lens + hood, which is placed on my lap and I hold onto it with dear life! This is most uncomfortable as I would like to have both my hands free to hold the side bars on the moving
...Show more

Here is the bag designed specifically for use in a safari vehicle.

I have the 500mm size which fits a pro camera and lens with hood mounted for shooting, as well as a TC mounted if necessary. I've used the bag successfully on six African safaris now. I also have a Kinesis and a third long lens case. Each of those have their place, but the Vertex is the one for the vehicles.

EBH

Feb 03, 2014 at 10:11 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Bag for camera body with 500mm lens

Hey EB,

That Big Lens Bag looks pretty cool. I use a Kinesis L511 long lens case for my 500L IS. It will fit the lens with 1.4x Extender and 1D-series body, but only with the hood reversed, not extended. The Kinesis works great for protecting the gear during transportation, and I even have a set of backpack straps that makes longer treks pretty comfortable. OTOH, the Kinesis isn't so great for "shooting from", because you have to re-attach the hood when it comes out.

I probably won't do much safari shooting, but a "shoot from" bag like the one you linked might be a good solution for shooting up here, in the winter. Hmmm...

Feb 03, 2014 at 10:32 PM
binary visions
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Bag for camera body with 500mm lens

That big lens bag looks great, but $300+ (!!). Yow. Guess that's what you get for one-off, handmade bags.

Feb 04, 2014 at 08:25 AM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Bag for camera body with 500mm lens

I did a lot of research and bought the Think Tank Glass Limo bag and it turned out to be too short. There is an updated version that may be long enough. It is a very well made bag but the first version was an 1 inch or 25mm too short.

Definitely long enough is the Tamrac 5793 Super Telephoto backpack which has an interior height of 21 inches. Even longer is the LowePro 600 but it is not a good general purpose bag.

The Think Tank Glass Limo and Tamrac 5793 can both have modular cases added and I prefer these for storing a flash and batteries for quick access and not having to go inside the main compartment.

When I discovered that the Glass Limo was too short I sold it and bought the Bataflae 32L which holds the 500mm f4 on a camera and the 70-200mm on a second camera.

Feb 04, 2014 at 06:34 PM
pixelrandy
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Bag for camera body with 500mm lens

The Glass Limo has undergone some inline changes and now does fit a 500 f/4 attached to a gripped or pro-size body better than before.

http://www.thinktankphoto.com/products/glass-limo.aspx

We have the Airport Accelerator if you'd like to have both a big body attached to a 500 f/4 along with another body and additional lenses, flash, etc.

http://www.thinktankphoto.com/products/airport-accelerator.aspx

The "Features" section has a number of gear layouts if you'd like to see examples with captions showing what's in the bag.

I hope that helps!

I don't reply to PMs here, so please email me or reply in this thread if you'd like to get in touch.

Cheers,

Randy

Feb 05, 2014 at 10:59 AM
sdwphoto
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Bag for camera body with 500mm lens

Surprised no one has mentioned Lowepro LensTrekker. The 600 AW is well made, has a removable waist strap, and fits a 500mm with hood in shooting position with pro body attached. 1.4x extender fits attached also, but it's snug. I tried the Kinesis first, and didn't like it, as the shoulder straps are separate and very wobbly. Might not be a concern on safari, but if you have to walk anywhere with it, the Lowepro is more of an actual bag, as opposed to a padded case. Upside to the Kinesis is that it is more modular, so you can add other pockets, etc. to it aftermarket.

Feb 07, 2014 at 11:45 AM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Bag for camera body with 500mm lens

binary visions wrote:
That big lens bag looks great, but $300+ (!!). Yow. Guess that's what you get for one-off, handmade bags.

I really like the Mindshift Rotation 180 (not for the OP's use of course) and that's up to $650 with all the bells and whistles ! Sorry for the OT post.

I've also got to mention how much I HATE Tamrac's buckles/clips - they often get stuck (one prong goes in and one prong out of the clip and are then very difficult to release) and are a real PITA, I refuse to buy them simply for that reason.

Feb 08, 2014 at 04:01 AM
mabidally
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Bag for camera body with 500mm lens

Thanks everyone for the various replies and suggestions.

Randy - I will check out your links...

and sdwphoto I will also check the Lowepro 600AW...

I must have the hood extended ready to shoot!

Feb 09, 2014 at 07:27 AM
mabidally
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Bag for camera body with 500mm lens

pixelrandy wrote:
The Glass Limo has undergone some inline changes and now does fit a 500 f/4 attached to a gripped or pro-size body better than before.

http://www.thinktankphoto.com/products/glass-limo.aspx

We have the Airport Accelerator if you'd like to have both a big body attached to a 500 f/4 along with another body and additional lenses, flash, etc.

http://www.thinktankphoto.com/products/airport-accelerator.aspx

The "Features" section has a number of gear layouts if you'd like to see examples with captions showing what's in the bag.

I hope that helps!

I don't reply to PMs here, so please email me or reply in this thread if you'd like to get in touch.

Cheers,

Randy

Randy, I checked out the links given by you above, please tell me if I have got this wrong because none of the Think Tank bags appear to be able to hold a camera body + 500mm f4 lens with the hood extended. The Glass limo is 21inches long whereas the Canon 7d with a 500mm f4 with hood extended is 25 inches long.

Feb 09, 2014 at 07:48 AM
mabidally
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Bag for camera body with 500mm lens

PV Hiker wrote:
Consider these Kinesis photo gear bags as a option.

http://www.kgear.com/store/l.html

You can have it stick out with the hood reversed and put the pillow case over the top. You can strap the bag to the bar or seat in front of you. Could be more options but this is just one.

Hi and thanks for the link, seems they have some interesting new stuff the L611 and L622 is 26 3/8in ID so this should fit, will be checking this out carefully.

Feb 09, 2014 at 07:58 AM
mabidally
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Bag for camera body with 500mm lens

mabidally wrote:
Hi and thanks for the link, seems they have some interesting new stuff the L611 and L622 is 26 3/8in ID so this should fit, will be checking this out carefully.

Thanks again, this http://www.kgear.com/store/l/l611.html seems like the bag for me!

It will hold a Canon 500/4 lens with a pro-sized body (with quick-release plate attached) with hood in the shooting position + 1.4x teleconverter!

Feb 09, 2014 at 08:12 AM
mabidally
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Bag for camera body with 500mm lens

EB-1 wrote:
Here is the bag designed specifically for use in a safari vehicle.

I have the 500mm size which fits a pro camera and lens with hood mounted for shooting, as well as a TC mounted if necessary. I've used the bag successfully on six African safaris now. I also have a Kinesis and a third long lens case. Each of those have their place, but the Vertex is the one for the vehicles.

EBH

Wow this seems superb, allows sideways removal of the camera which is really useful too.

Thanks for the info and link.

Feb 09, 2014 at 08:53 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Bag for camera body with 500mm lens

I just ordered one.

Feb 09, 2014 at 09:42 AM
mabidally
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Bag for camera body with 500mm lens

jcolwell wrote:
I just ordered one.

Did you order the vertex bag? I have emailed for a quote on the Vertex bag because I need international shipping to Sri Lanka so it may take some time but this bag does seem good and will solve many problems for me.

Do let me know how you like your after getting it.

Feb 09, 2014 at 10:16 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Bag for camera body with 500mm lens

Yes, I'm getting a 500/4 Vertex Big Lens bag, "long" version, which will hold the lens with hood in shooting position, 2x Extender, and 1D-series camera. It's also going to be modified to have quick release buckles on the side pockets, that I can use instead of the Velcro. It will also have the usual Velcro closures, which you can "blank out" by putting extra pieces of 'fuzzy' Velcro over the 'hooks' Velcro attached to the bag.

They're made to order. Shipping time for mine is estimated at six to eight weeks. I'll let you know what I think when it arrives.

Feb 09, 2014 at 04:49 PM
unclemikey
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Bag for camera body with 500mm lens

mabidally wrote:
The type of safaris one typically does in Sri Lanka are often in open jeeps in very dusty conditions and very bumpy rough roads. Many leopard sightings are very quick fleeting glimpses and one needs to be quick in getting ones camera ready on a bean bag and taking a shot. Presently I use an old pillow case over my camera/500mm lens + hood, which is placed on my lap and I hold onto it with dear life! This is most uncomfortable as I would like to have both my hands free to hold the side bars on the moving
...Show more

Here is another option: http://www.vertexphoto.com/biglensbag

Think Tank makes the Glass Limo as well as other manufacturers. I have the Vertex and use it both to carry long lenses and tripod when I don't need the very long glass.

Feb 25, 2014 at 03:45 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.