FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Yosemite for only one day

diamondroad
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Yosemite for only one day

I'll be driving from Reno to Vegas and thought I'd take a day trip and see some of Yosemite. I only have one day, what should I see (aside from half dome which is a given to me). It will be in the middle of July so I'm expecting A TON of tourist too :-(

Thanks
Steve

Feb 03, 2014 at 12:37 PM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Yosemite for only one day

glacier point, valley view...

Feb 03, 2014 at 01:19 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Yosemite for only one day

Hi Steve,

It's a loop road through Yosemite Valley, just drive it and look and stop at the various parking spots where the view tickles your fancy. You drive the loop you will see all the sites a one day trip would have time to offer. With just one day I would not be concerned about any one site, just drive and enjoy them all.

Jim

Feb 03, 2014 at 02:23 PM
stanparker
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Yosemite for only one day

Be sure to enjoy the drive across Tioga Pass, lots of beauty there before you even get to the valley. After the valley, try to have time to drive to Glacier Point for outstanding views of the valley.

Feb 03, 2014 at 02:29 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Yosemite for only one day

This brings to mind an old ranger story:

A visitor walks up to a ranger with a question. "I only have one day to spend in the Valley. What should I do?"

Ranger: "Sit on a rock and weep."

;-)

Middle of July is a busy time in the Valley, and there is a good chance that in this very dry year there will not be a lot of waterfall action. Probably best, if you don't already know the Valley, to hit the major icons.

Dan

Feb 03, 2014 at 06:10 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Yosemite for only one day

Take an hour or two, drive through the valley loop, then hit up Tioga Pass. I think you can drive up to Glacier Point as well.

Feb 03, 2014 at 06:19 PM
Greg Campbell
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Yosemite for only one day

Just to offer a contrarian opinion...

Don't bother to drive all the way to the hot, touron infested valley. Stay in the high country along 120, east of Olmstead Point. There is plenty of roadside scenery and about half a zillion short, scenic hiking opportunities. FWIW, I did this http://kevingong.com/Hiking/201008PollyDomeLakes.html hike many years ago and can attest to the wonderful scenery. Apart from avoiding the crowds, you'll also save ~2 full hours driving to the valley and back - time better spend shooting!

Feb 03, 2014 at 06:43 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.