Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2014 · Some waterfowl

mitesh
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Some waterfowl

Here is a small variety of recent waterfowl images. Varying light conditions, and due to the location, there was really only one small sliver of the lake that was ever in good light throughout the day. Had to patiently wait for subjects to meander into the light. It's interesting to see how the light at different times of the day can really create a totally different feel to the images.

Please don't hesitate to share your thoughts on what works or doesn't work in these images. I'm very appreciative of the thought and time so many members put into leaving helpful comments .

1. American Coot

2. Green-Winged Teal drake

3. Blue-Winged Teal hen

4. Green-Winged Teal hen

5. Green-Winged Teal hen

Edited on Feb 03, 2014 at 05:43 PM · View previous versions

Feb 03, 2014 at 12:14 PM
lowa2
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Some waterfowl

Nailed it.

All wonderful Dude.

Charles

Feb 03, 2014 at 12:29 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Some waterfowl

Nice set Mitesh. Again I'm more partial to the inky black backgrounds....these used to be Peter's (PetKals) signature look but I think you have that honour now!!

All are great, no real comp issues that jump out at me. My pick is #2. Love that one and the feel of the image overall.

TFS
Geoff

Feb 03, 2014 at 12:33 PM
mitesh
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Some waterfowl

lowa2 wrote:
Nailed it.

All wonderful Dude.

Charles

Thanks for the positive comments, Charles!

Feb 03, 2014 at 12:44 PM
mitesh
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Some waterfowl

arbitrage wrote:
Nice set Mitesh. Again I'm more partial to the inky black backgrounds....these used to be Peter's (PetKals) signature look but I think you have that honour now!!

All are great, no real comp issues that jump out at me. My pick is #2. Love that one and the feel of the image overall.

TFS
Geoff

Thanks, Geoff! Yes, I agree that the dark BGs really help make the subject "pop" out of the frame. I definitely recall seeing many of Peter's images that exhibited that characteristic. I am not shy to admit that I look closely at others' images and try to emulate/re-create aspects that I find attractive . If nothing else, it is a learning experience.

Feb 03, 2014 at 12:47 PM
mikedec
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Some waterfowl

To say "Some Waterfowl" is underestimating these fine images. I am speechless. I love the light on #2, the little bit of blue showing under the wing in #3, the preening and single water droplet hanging in midair on #4 and the smooth water on all of them.

Was this from a kayak or did you position yourself on shore? It looks like your lens was just over the water line.

Mike

Feb 03, 2014 at 01:13 PM
Tim Kuhn
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Some waterfowl

Very nicely done Mitesh, some really super work here. If I was just to pick a favorite I think the first is the strongest photograph, that one evokes thought and is pleasing to the eye. There's something that bugs me about 2, I can't put my finger on it, maybe the colors look too flat I don't know. The last is another really strong image in my mind with beautiful tones. I wouldn't suggest tightening up the crop on that one too much, I think the space works wonderfully, but maybe trim a bit off of the top and add to the bottom? Excellent work Mitesh, these are a joy to look at.

Tim

Feb 03, 2014 at 01:15 PM
mitesh
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Some waterfowl

mikedec wrote:
To say "Some Waterfowl" is underestimating these fine images. I am speechless. I love the light on #2, the little bit of blue showing under the wing in #3, the preening and single water droplet hanging in midair on #4 and the smooth water on all of them.

Was this from a kayak or did you position yourself on shore? It looks like your lens was just over the water line.

Mike

Hi Mike,

First, thanks for the kind words- I'm really glad you enjoyed the set! These were shot from shore. I targeted a small area in the lake about 30 feet away where the light was hitting the water but not too much on the BG. I laid down prone with the lens just over the water line, exactly as you said. My left fist was placed in the water to rest the lens on.

Feb 03, 2014 at 01:20 PM
BeeBalm
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Some waterfowl

Mitesh,

BeeBalm

Feb 03, 2014 at 01:22 PM
mitesh
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Some waterfowl

Tim Kuhn wrote:
Very nicely done Mitesh, some really super work here. If I was just to pick a favorite I think the first is the strongest photograph, that one evokes thought and is pleasing to the eye. There's something that bugs me about 2, I can't put my finger on it, maybe the colors look too flat I don't know. The last is another really strong image in my mind with beautiful tones. I wouldn't suggest tightening up the crop on that one too much, I think the space works wonderfully, but maybe trim a bit off of the top and
...Show more

Thanks for your thoughts, Tim! If I'm being honest, I really want to like the second image even more, but I can't find a composition that I'm totally happy with. I think I was too close and it was framed too tightly, so I don't have much room to work with. Maybe that's an issue for you as well. Appreciate your suggestion for the last image- I'll try it out!

Feb 03, 2014 at 01:23 PM
mitesh
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Some waterfowl

BeeBalm wrote:
Mitesh,

BeeBalm

Thanks, BB!

Feb 03, 2014 at 01:24 PM
Howard Kearley
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Some waterfowl

Nice set, sweet how 1 takes a bird we over look when taking photos and this shot makes it great😊

Howard

Feb 03, 2014 at 01:43 PM
David Leask
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Some waterfowl

Beautiful shots Mitesh. I love the low angle and dark backgrounds
David

Feb 03, 2014 at 04:36 PM
kmunroe
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Some waterfowl

all are very nice Mitesh

Feb 03, 2014 at 07:11 PM
Dragonfire
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Some waterfowl

Great look

Feb 03, 2014 at 07:29 PM
thomas_1950
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Some waterfowl

Impressive as always Mitesh. Those are certainly some cooperative ducks. My favorites are the drake GW Teal and the two hen Teal at the end. I'm not sure how you achieved your dark background but it is certainly effective.

Best,
Tom

Feb 03, 2014 at 07:44 PM
DonGut
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Some waterfowl

All of these are a joy to look at. It's the blurred BG, the subject is the only thing that grabs our eye and the low angle really add to the effect.. These could be taken through my eye! Trouble is, I have about 8 weeks of frozen ponds before I get my chance. Mean while I'll live vicariously through your lovely shots. Don

Feb 03, 2014 at 08:14 PM
sritri
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Some waterfowl

Lovely shots Mitesh! The first is a standout for me.

Feb 03, 2014 at 08:19 PM
KCollett
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Some waterfowl

Stupendous set Mitesh. You must have had your chin in the water to get that low. #2 is my pick of the set, but each is a worthy image to achieve top honors.

Feb 03, 2014 at 08:39 PM
naturesmoments
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Some waterfowl

Beautiful work!!! Love the eye level view!!! Congratulations!!

Feb 03, 2014 at 08:44 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.