Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Ricoh GR Discontinued (replaced/updated) already?

Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Ricoh GR Discontinued (replaced/updated) already?

Someone posted the question on another forum after seeing it listed as discontinued at DigitalRev.

Seems unbelievable but who knows. CP+ show is next week where Ricoh/ Pentax will introduce a consumer K60 with the same APS 24MP sensor as in the K3, but at half the price. Maybe Ricoh will put the same 24MP sensor into the GR sooner than later. The lens certainly can resolve that sensor. Guess we will know soon. There sure have been some deep discounts on the GR recently.

http://www.digitalrev.com/category/ricoh/MTU2

and on the product page itself

http://www.digitalrev.com/product/ricoh-gr/MTAwMjY1Mw_A_A

Feb 03, 2014 at 09:03 AM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Ricoh GR Discontinued (replaced/updated) already?

It's not listed as discontinued at B&H, which is a more reliable source than DigitalRev,

That said, a 24MP no-AA GR would be a very Ricoh thing to do, and would be awesome.

Feb 03, 2014 at 09:35 AM
j.liam
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Ricoh GR Discontinued (replaced/updated) already?

Well, it would account for the inexplicably steep price cuts at the end of 2013 but makes little sense insofar as its fleeting shelf life (<1 year).

No matter, it's still a blast whether there's a quick successor to it or not.

Edited on Feb 03, 2014 at 09:52 AM · View previous versions

Feb 03, 2014 at 09:49 AM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Ricoh GR Discontinued (replaced/updated) already?

Yeah, DigitalRev is extremely unreliable for these sorts of things IIRC.

I wish Ricoh would expand this awesome line and make a 24mm F2. I would have had one yesterday.

Feb 03, 2014 at 09:52 AM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Ricoh GR Discontinued (replaced/updated) already?

I didn't know DigitalRev had a history of being unreliable so that very well could be the case.

Feb 03, 2014 at 10:06 AM
joe88
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Ricoh GR Discontinued (replaced/updated) already?

If we look at previous iterations of the GRD, its about every 18-24 months for each model update. This can't be true for the current APS-C GRD, so soon? I doubt it.

Feb 03, 2014 at 11:33 AM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Ricoh GR Discontinued (replaced/updated) already?

joe88 wrote:
If we look at previous iterations of the GRD, its about every 18-24 months for each model update. This can't be true for the current APS-C GRD, so soon? I doubt it.

It seems unlikely but then again, Ricoh seems to be quickly moving to standardize on the 24MP APS sensor. Who knows, maybe their stock of the 16MP sensor is running out. It's likely they had to purchase a large quantity of each initially to get the price down. Probably not a bad competitive move either.

In any case, I highly doubt we will have the same 16MP GR for close to two more years (given how old the 16MP sensor is now). A 24MP APS non AA sensor in the GR does make a lot of sense with regard to moire prevention and cropping flexibility, particularly given the GR's crop mode and susceptibility to moire (partially due to how damn sharp the lens is!). Hard to see how there also might not be some downsides with regard to heat and speed going to 24MP's. Anyway, I think we will have our answer relatively soon.

Feb 03, 2014 at 11:55 AM
joe88
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Ricoh GR Discontinued (replaced/updated) already?

I think the current GR sensor is great as it it, maybe loosing out just a little with high iso and a f/2.8 lens? Files are so sharp and 24MP might not be necessary, at least this year but I agree, 24MP seems to be where APS-C sensors are right now.

I actually would like to see a 24MP GXR replacement this year, better still full frame.

Feb 03, 2014 at 01:02 PM
j.liam
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Ricoh GR Discontinued (replaced/updated) already?

joe88 wrote:
I actually would like to see a 24MP GXR replacement this year, better still full frame.

That would be something, after the Sony imposter let us down.

Feb 03, 2014 at 01:19 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Ricoh GR Discontinued (replaced/updated) already?

I would love to buy one of these if only 28mm wasn't my least favorite focal lengths.

Feb 03, 2014 at 01:21 PM
kosmoskatten
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Ricoh GR Discontinued (replaced/updated) already?

I think 16MP does the trick but I would not scoff at 24MP provided that it does not deteriorate high ISO performance all too much.

I certainly hope the GR isn't discontinued just yet and it would seem like a very short production run indeed! If Ricoh have a new 24MP sensor and they are pleased with it I am on the other hand quite happy if they _would_upgrade the camera as soon as possible by running the next big batch with the newer sensor.

And while they are at it they should get that compact 40/2 (Summicron-ish) GR going. I've been waiting quite a while now already...

Feb 03, 2014 at 04:27 PM
httivals
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Ricoh GR Discontinued (replaced/updated) already?

I agree with the compact 40/2 Summicronish GR suggestion!

Feb 03, 2014 at 04:29 PM
fotographiq
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Ricoh GR Discontinued (replaced/updated) already?

^yes, agreed as well!

Feb 03, 2014 at 04:53 PM
Spyro P.
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Ricoh GR Discontinued (replaced/updated) already?

joe88 wrote:

I assume the attraction is mounting M lenses with the A12 module? I never believed in making cameras for other manufacturers' lenses as a viable business case, and the more expensive the exercise gets the less viable it seems.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the idea sounds nice to us, but is it commercially viable for Ricoh? There used to be a sizeable gap in the (small) RF market when lens owners were desperately looking for something that didn't cost $7k to hang their lenses on, but now there is A7 and used M9s in more reasonable prices. Not much gap left.

Feb 03, 2014 at 06:36 PM
j.liam
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Ricoh GR Discontinued (replaced/updated) already?

Spyro P. wrote:
I assume the attraction is mounting M lenses with the A12 module? I never believed in making cameras for other manufacturers' lenses as a viable business case, and the more expensive the exercise gets the less viable it seems.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the idea sounds nice to us, but is it commercially viable for Ricoh? There used to be a sizeable gap in the (small) RF market when lens owners were desperately looking for something that didn't cost $7k to hang their lenses on, but now there is A7 and used M9s in
...Show more

I disagree.

Not making cameras for other's makers lens mounts makes rational sense, yet a compelling argument can be made for LTM and M lenses(i.e., historical, sheer numbers of copies, unique characteristics, name appeal and exceeding quality).

As far as a below-$7k option for LTM/M lenses. the a7 doesn't fly for FL wider than 50mm (with some exceptions) so is not a general use M platform and the M9, though down to about $4k, really can't be shot higher than ISO 400.

There remains a gap.

Feb 03, 2014 at 07:24 PM
Spyro P.
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Ricoh GR Discontinued (replaced/updated) already?

seriously? is it that bad? I havent been following the RF lens on A7 discussion lately... but I remember seeing some nice samples from the rokkor 40/2, CV 35/1.2, WATE and some wide, somewhat larger designs? Sure some symmetrical/biogon designs will be problematic but I understand this is the case even with the M9&M240 sometimes, why would a GXR FF sensor be different?

Feb 03, 2014 at 08:14 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Ricoh GR Discontinued (replaced/updated) already?

Spyro P. wrote:
seriously? is it that bad? I havent been following the RF lens on A7 discussion lately... but I remember seeing some nice samples from the rokkor 40/2, CV 35/1.2, WATE and some wide, somewhat larger designs. Sure some symmetrical/biogon designs will be problematic but I understand this is the case even with the M9&M240 sometimes, why would a GXR sensor be different?

I think it is that bad and you have probably listed almost all of the wider than 50 Rangefinder lenses that are considered acceptable on the A7r. The vast majority of 35 and under rangefinder wides look problematic on the A7r if off center/ border sharpness is important. This is almost certainly due to the thick cover glass (slightly less than 1.5mm's according to Roger Cicala's recent teardown).

Sean Reid has a current article on RF Lenses on Digital where he states that Leica used a combined IR/ protective glass cover of only .5mm thick on the M8 as they found going thicker was detrimental to off axis sharpness with the extreme light ray angles projected by rangefinder wides. Of course, it was so thin that we all know the fallout that occurred afterwards due to IR contamination and the red filter hack. The M9 was designed with a .8mm thickness, which Leica found to be an acceptable "compromise" between optimal thickness for rangefinder wides and a partial solution to the IR contamination problem (a little IR contamination still exists). Reid says that Leica found in their testing that 1mm provided complete IR rejection but going that thick was not acceptable with regard to off center optical performance with the rangefinder wides (hence the .8mm compromise, which apparently is also used with the M240). Anyway, clearly the A7r has a much thicker cover glass and is not ideal at all for the vast majority of rangefinder wides. A Ricoh solution would almost certainly use a much thinner cover glass than the A7r if it was designed to work properly with rangefinder wides.

Feb 03, 2014 at 09:02 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Ricoh GR Discontinued (replaced/updated) already?

I wonder if you can just remove the glass cover altogether and simply use high quality IR filters on all your lenses.

Feb 04, 2014 at 12:39 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Ricoh GR Discontinued (replaced/updated) already?

FlyPenFly wrote:
I wonder if you can just remove the glass cover altogether and simply use high quality IR filters on all your lenses.

probably won't react well to dust on the sensor, but would work in a clean room...

Feb 04, 2014 at 12:57 AM
ghostbow

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Ricoh GR Discontinued (replaced/updated) already?

The GR APS-C was not listed as discontinued of DigitalRev, the GR lV is listed as discontinued.

May 03, 2014 at 10:12 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.