New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2014 · I`ve found a compromise that works for me

StillFingerz
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · I`ve found a compromise that works for me

A question for you Fuji shooters, is it just gear size/weight or are the sensors and IQ better; say than the 6D or 5D3?

I usually carry a 40D, 17-40L, 70-200 f4L IS, 100L IS Macro, and looking to add a 6D. Subjects are close-ups and macro, mostly flowers, and city/landscapes. In the late 70s I shot with an A-1 and primes, liked the smaller body/lenses.

I still shoot Fuji Velvia with the old gear, even a pair of EOS-3s and like Fuji colors. Their digital offerings have interested me, but if their weight isn't much less than the 6D I'm not sure I'd go Fuji vs my G12 or something like an RX100.

Feel free to reply or send a PM, a smaller kit would be for both me and my much better half, thanks
Jerry

Feb 08, 2014 at 12:45 PM
dave chilvers
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · I`ve found a compromise that works for me

StillFingerz wrote:
A question for you Fuji shooters, is it just gear size/weight or are the sensors and IQ better; say than the 6D or 5D3?

I usually carry a 40D, 17-40L, 70-200 f4L IS, 100L IS Macro, and looking to add a 6D. Subjects are close-ups and macro, mostly flowers, and city/landscapes. In the late 70s I shot with an A-1 and primes, liked the smaller body/lenses.

I still shoot Fuji Velvia with the old gear, even a pair of EOS-3s and like Fuji colors. Their digital offerings have interested me, but if their weight isn't much less than the 6D
...Show more

Originally I went for the xpro1 for weight and the superb feel of the camera (reminded me of my Leica days) Having had it for a while I realise that(for me) it can`t replace my 5d3 which is superb in so many ways so I cut down to just two lenses(17-40+70-300) and that works a treat for me. Having said that when in the city the xpro with 18-55 + 14 in a non camera shoulder bag is light, small and doesn`t attract much attention plus the image quality is excellent. Some people have sold the dslr`s and gone completely fuji, they will still be getting superb IQ but they will miss out on out & out flexibility. It`s a dilemma for sure as both systems have there values.
The upgrade you speak of to the 6D will make you smile for sure and I`m sure your better half will like the fuji experience (almost hand bagable depending on handbag size.)
On the rare occasion that we go to our local town (not city) the 5d3 stands out like a sore thumb so the Fuji sitting half under a partially open top jacket fits the bill a treat and is hardly noticeable. slip it out, take the shot and slide it back in again. If I were thinking of close up or macro I`d reach for the 5d3 (not to say you can`t use a fuji for it) but the DSLR rules in that field for me.
My hands are fairly large so I swapped the xe2 for the xpro 1 but your wife will probably fall in love with the former.
I`m still having problems hitting top right buttons (AF-L and Q) with my ball of my thumb and am going to try to fit some sort of raised rubber near them.

My experience with the 40D that I had for a short time wasn`t anything like the 5d mk1, 2 and 3 so that jump up to 6D will be good IMHO. To sum up, I think that a 6D + fuji( xe2 or pro1) will give you everything you`ll need and of course make sure to leave enough money to take the boss out to dinner for the OK

Dave

Feb 08, 2014 at 02:27 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · I`ve found a compromise that works for me

Dave, thanks for the input, I just took a look at the new XT-1 that will be out in March. One issue that keeps me with Canon is it's wired remote; I use it via my mouth/tongue. The Fuji's have a similar style remote, plus the new XT-1 allows use of both Canon and Nikon wired remotes; huge bonus. Another plus is WiFi and Smartphone/Tablet use via an App. More research is needed, lenses, flash, etc. but it looks like it could be a nice little kit for casual and street photography.

With a healthier budget I can easily see a 6D or 5D3 kit handling all FF duties; even action, and a XT-1 picking up the crop sensor casual/street duties...you've peeked my interest greatly...point-n-shoots could be in big trouble

Thanks again,
Jerry

Feb 08, 2014 at 05:31 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · I`ve found a compromise that works for me

StillFingerz wrote:

I still shoot Fuji Velvia with the old gear, even a pair of EOS-3s and like Fuji colors. Their digital offerings have interested me, but if their weight isn't much less than the 6D
...Show more

I've thought about this quite a bit, as I have relied completely on the X-E1 for certain subjects, still prefer the DSLR for others, and occasionally use both side by side.

It is primarily about the size/weight issue for me, though I would not accept a system that did not produce very good image quality.

The Fuji camera and lenses are surprisingly good, with image quality that is as good as or perhaps a bit better than any other 1.5x cropped sensor system. When I got mine I figured it would be decent, but I was surprised by how good it is. Some of the lenses are truly topnotch, and they don't give up anything by comparison to the best that Canon offers. The 35mm f/1.4 is a really wonderful lens. I recall the first time that I looked are raw files that I had shot with it and I was surprised by how good they were. The 14mm f/2.8 is also a very nice lens. Others in the system also produce fine image quality. I can make prints as large as I could from a Canon cropped sensor system.

There is some over abundant hype about the system, too, though. This happens with any camera system. What you'll hear in some quarters from Fujifilm aficionados is that the system is better than full frame DSLRs like the 5DII and 5DIII. That is hyperbole. The full frame system with higher MP can still outperform the smaller 16MP system, as good as it is. You won't see me giving up my full frame Canon system for a Fuji to do large landscape images any time soon. There are also functional differences between the DSLR and mirrorless systems that will make a difference in some situations, mostly regarding the AF systems, which do not yet equal those of DSLRs.

Some people might find the Fuji system appropriate as their only camera. If you need smaller size and aren't pushing the AF system, or you are working situations in which sticking a big old DSLR in someone's face might not be ideal, they are great. While I don't use it for landscape, lots of folks who want to make excellent hiking or backpacking photographs may like it a lot.

Fuji has a nice 60mm f/2.4 macro. (You mentioned macro.) It is a very nice lens, but the Canon 100mm f/2.8 L IS macro is a better system... though larger and more expensive.

For me it complements my DSLR system rather than replacing it. YMMV.

Dan

Feb 09, 2014 at 12:06 AM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · I`ve found a compromise that works for me

Dan, thank you, I appreciate your experience and thoughtfulness, indeed a balanced reply. Your points regarding macro and AF are quite important for me, a good differentiation between systems, food for much thought no doubt

The 100L is a gem, it's quickly taking 1st place, a position the 100 non-L has held for near 15 years, the older 100 is still great, does studio work, is rarely in the field anymore.

Once a FF body is picked-up, the Fuji system might be an alternative to my current crop bodies, specs for the new XT-1 look pretty nice, we'll see how the reviews and images pan out. I need to look at their lenses, start with a prime, something around 35mm FF equivalent...

Cheers,
Jerry

Feb 09, 2014 at 02:36 AM
dave chilvers
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · I`ve found a compromise that works for me

I stuck on the back of the x pro one of those rubber self adhesive pads( designed to use as feet on items on the desk top) it`s about 1/2" diam x around 4mm thick and positioned to the left of the AF-L - Q buttons. It is just thick enough to be proud of those buttons and certainly seems to keep that part of my hand away from those buttons. When looking at the design and wondering why those buttons are on a raised area making them more vulnerable it`s clear that the exp compo wheel at the top of the raised section would have stuck out like a sore thumb and that would have been precarious without that lower raised section. Anyway, time will tell and I think I will be able to remove the thumb rest from the hot shoe now. BTW I do have the Fuji handgrip fitted and although it does make for a better more secure grip it is that grip that actually brings the inside or the thumb closer to those buttons.

Playing around a bit more actually sees my thumb now sitting against the new rubber buffer at around the first joint and the tip of the thumb now resting nicely on the hot shoe thumb rest.

Sorry to bore anyone not interested but I`ve been an engineer most of my life and have made many adjustments and add ons to equipment over the years and rather like most people who just keep moaning I fine tune things to work for me and to be honest I wouldn`t have bothered if the xpro1 wasn`t such a great camera. Hard to believe that a small rubber foot can make so much difference. Those of you that have the X10 will notice that shaped rubber add-on in a similar position and I seem to remember adding something similar to a Leica M6 way back.

Dave

Feb 09, 2014 at 08:37 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · I`ve found a compromise that works for me

StillFingerz wrote:

...Show more

Hi Jerry, as you know I have a lot of big gear and there is no way I will give up that big gear for my wildlife and bird shooting. That said, it was a month long trip to SE Asia last spring (Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam) that finally pushed me towards a smaller mirror less system for my hiking, travel and possibly all of my wide angle, low light stuff.....I went on that trip with 5D3 and 7D, 24-105, 17-40, 100-400 and 40 pancake. The trip was not really about photography but I try to make everything about photography so always had at least one camera and lens with me at all times in a small shoulder bag, leaving the rest in my bigger backpack back in the hotel. I ended up using the 5D3, 24-105 about 95% of the time...I used the 17-40 about 1% and the 100-400 for a few birds during a mountain hike. Even just having the 5D3 and 24-105 was a bit of a burden when I wasn't really into much more than casual shots of our activities around the cities. I used the 40 at night as a smaller package and a one-stop advantage.

When I got home I knew that for that type of trip and for just going hiking without wildlife being a target that I could be much better served with a mirror less system. I looked at EOS-M, Fuji and the A7/r. I ended up deciding on the Fuji system and so far I have been very, very happy with it. I went for the XE-2, 18-55 and the 23 1.4 to start, I then added the 14 2.8. I'm very happy with the output of that sensor, the high ISO rivals that of the 5D3...not as good as the 1DX but still very useable up to ISO 6400. I'm happy with Lightroom's handling of the x-trans files so I didn't have to change my workflow. People love the Fuji jpeg engine, I shot RAW and Jpeg to start but I liked processing myself as the colours were too much in the jpegs from Fuji. I've read that the XE-1 and earlier cameras are better and that the XE-2 is not as good when it comes to the jpeg engine so some of that early magic people talk about may be gone from the newest software. Now I shoot RAW only and process to my desired liking. If you are used to some of the old Fuji film looks the cool thing is you can select them in camera and use the jpeg engine to replicate the looks!!

I have now preordered the XT-1 as I see a benefit in the weather sealing for some of my trips and I like some of the other new features. Also in Canada we have a free grip offer if we preorder until the end of March so that pushed me over the edge as the grip is $250. I now use the XE-2 for hiking with the 18-55(amazing quality kit lens that is 2.8-4) and use the 23 1.4 as inside, out for dinner type of shots. I also use the 14 for landscapes. I considered the 10-24 lens that is just being released but I'm trying to keep size down and that lens and the upcoming f/2.8 zooms are starting to look a little too big for my liking so I'm sticking with primes and the 18-55 for now. I may get the 56 1.2 but then I"m done buying lenses, I hope!!!

Hope this ramble helps....I still use my 5D3 with 24-70, 17-40 and 14 f/2.8 Bower for northern lights and when I'm not walking too far or already packing my bigger gear along for wildlife and birds. However, it is so nice to have the mirror less option. I decided against the A7r because of the size of the lenses to cover FF. I decided against the EOS-M because of the uncertainty of its future.

Feb 09, 2014 at 09:01 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · I`ve found a compromise that works for me

StillFingerz wrote:
The 100L is a gem, it's quickly taking 1st place, a position the 100 non-L has held for near 15 years, the older 100 is still great, does studio work, is rarely in the field anymore.

We have the 100mm f/2.8 L IS, but I rarely get to use it... as my wife is the big macro photographer around here. She has also used the Fujifilm 60mm f/2.4 for macro work when she wants to travel light - it works well, but the Canon lens is a better lens when it comes to macro.

(I've only used the Fuji 60mm as a telephoto prime, for which purpose is works quite well.)

Regarding the easily-pressed buttons on the X-E1 (and perhaps the other X-trans cameras?), I wrote about that in my extensive review on the X camera system at my blog. It is a mixed issue in my view. At first I found myself accidentally pressing buttons and shifting the camera settings accidentally. (The "macro" button was a particular problem.) But eventually, I figured out that much of the problem was that I had not developed instincts for this body in the same way I had with the Canon bodies, and once I used the camera more this problem decreased. In fact, I made a point of thinking through how I held the X-E1 and making some changes that helped a lot. I also figured out that there are ways to lock some of the settings, in particular the "macro" button.

On the other hand, I feel like some of the settings can be moved a bit more easily that I would like. This is partly the natural downside of having actual knobs and buttons for things that are found in the software interface of other cameras, but I also feel that Fuji might make some of the detent click stops be a bit more solid. For example, I still have to keep an eye on the (useful!) exposure compensation knob, since I can inadvertently move it when shooting.

Dan

Feb 09, 2014 at 11:46 AM
dave chilvers
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · I`ve found a compromise that works for me

Dan

I make you right, the more I use the camera the less I hit buttons and as you say you don`t need to go into the menus so you can`t have your cake and eat it sort of thing. I`m just getting to grips with the 35 1.4 and for sure it is a superb lens, even more so when it was the free gift lens with my deal. Now I`m going to have a lay down in a dark room and get over the want of the long zoom ( I keep saying " you don`t need it

Dave

Feb 09, 2014 at 12:57 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · I`ve found a compromise that works for me

Dave, Geoff and Dan, thank you all, again great info...

With my disability level, actual still fingers; paralyzed, I don't access any controls; buttons and such, while shooting. I've shot this way since 78 so button layout isn't a big issue.

But I also modify buttons as Dave eluded to, mostly just to raise their profile for easier pushing. Dave, those tiny rubber feet are a blessing, easy on and off, I've just covered the buttons on a 1D2N and 7D, each now much easier to operate. I like the 'ProDot' shutter button rubber overlay from Custom DSLR, it's textured surface really helps when I do use the shutter button; it's mostly for my lady's use.

Besides what looks like great IQ and the smaller system size I've found five huge bonuses with the XT-1...

1 - It's wired remote looks a bit smaller than the Canon's, button position looks much the same as well. A smaller remote in mouth would be a big bonus.

2 - Their WiFi looks great, very usable; discovered this via 'youtube'; much like the EOS App for the 6D.

3 - The XT-1's viewfinder looks incredible, huge with lots of detail/features, can't wait for actual reviews.

4 - Not a huge option, but to have film profiles; Provia, Velvia, would be nice to experiment with.

5 - Kind of defeats the smaller system purpose, but just like the EOS-M, Sony mirrorless bodies; NEX and A7s; M4/3, etc., there are adapters for both the older FD and today's EF/EF-S lenses; MetaBones in particular; the standard and 'speedbooster' adapters.

I've just started to investigate, will wait for reviews; including yours of the XT-1 w/grip Geoff, and decide after I move to FF. Last night my better half Linda and I looked at the XT-1 and lenses. We compared sizes to her old Olympus gear; OM1/2, and a big smile appeared. She uses the bigger gear just fine but would like a much lighter kit.

Our G12 has served that purpose well, but both of us like using 'primes'. And from what I've read, Fuji lenses are top notch. Dan mentioned the 35 f1.4 and it looks quite nice, I'd want something wider as well, here I'd probably opt for their 10-24; to have near the same FLs as my ef-s 10-22 or 17-40. Can't see grabbing the kit or longer zooms, their IS might be nice, who knows though, there might be a complete kit purchased at some point...just because

The only 'negatives' for the XT-1; and they're not a big deal, is the LCD screen isn't touch and/or fully articulating, those would have been a nice feature, nothings perfect tho is it

Thanks again for all of your input, it's greatly appreciated! And Dan, I'm off to your website, seems I've some reading to do, didn't see your Fuji write-up(s), seems my Canon tunnel vision blinded me a tad...

Cheers,
Jerry

Feb 09, 2014 at 01:23 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · I`ve found a compromise that works for me

Jerry:

I'm very interested in the XT1. The XE1 is a fine tool, but Fujifilm has done a good job of offering continuous improvement and several areas seem to be better in newer bodies like the XE2 and (it seems) the XT1.

To me, the major potential advantages of the XT1 over the XE1 and XE2 may be largely about the improved manual control. More of the control functions have been moved to dials and the hardware interface seems to be improving. (I understand that the functions on the dials may also still be available in the software interface... but don't quote me. We'll see...) Other improvements, if they pan out in the way the advanced marketing suggests, include the faster refresh rate of the display and improved AF functionality.

For your purposes, not having use of your fingers, I wonder if the XE2 might get you much of the same functionality and image quality since it has the same sensor (they all have essentially the same 16MP sensor), along with improved AF and refresh rates and so forth? You know better than I do, of course!

Do you mostly operate the camera in the automatic mode, or are you able to change shutter speed, aperture, ISO settings while you are shooting?

Dan

Feb 09, 2014 at 01:34 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · I`ve found a compromise that works for me

gdanmitchell wrote:
Jerry:

I'm very interested in the XT1. The XE1 is a fine tool, but Fujifilm has done a good job of offering continuous improvement and several areas seem to be better in newer bodies like the XE2 and (it seems) the XT1.

To me, the major potential advantages of the XT1 over the XE1 and XE2 may be largely about the improved manual control. More of the control functions have been moved to dials and the hardware interface seems to be improving. (I understand that the functions on the dials may also still be available in the software interface... but don't quote
...Show more

Dan, I shoot mostly in 'Manual' mode, RAW as well; sometimes RAW+Jpeg. And yes, I can manage all buttons, dials, etc. on camera bodies, just not on the fly with viewfinder to eye. I must move the camera/lens to my lap where I have some leverage, can use gravity to assist.

My spinal cord injury is at C5 level, it left me with 'some' arm/wrist/hand movement, but no grip at all. It's an odd body to shoot with but you make due, just being able to hand-hold is so humbling and so freeing, that I can manage on my own a big boost to ego...

I to noticed the extra dials of the XT-1 and should have mentioned that as a 6th bonus, they are a big plus for me. I've not read enough to know yet, but given there's NO aperture dial, is that a menu choice? I noticed that some of Fuji's lenses have an aperture ring, while others don't, please enlighten...how do you shoot full manual without an aperture ring/dial

I'll take a look at the other models, full manual is my game tho, I use Tv and Av on occasion, but it's rare. I've learned to anticipate, look for shots, out of necessity...both a blessing and curse, it's does slow my shooting down, helps me keep focus.

Exposure comp is a nice to have, having it on a dial will work great, my 1st SLR; the Canon A-1, had this and it was wonderful. Perhaps it's the XT-1 looks/features that remind of past adventures, my early days with film, but now with all the bennies of digital. A lighter digital kit with primes would be very cool, for both Linda and I, and it would fit nicely in our TT Retro7; with phone/tablet

Cheers,
Jerry

Edit: PS. Dan, wow, I just glanced at your Fuji write-ups, it will be tonight's required reading. Much like my recent buying plans, I'll wait until reviews are complete and the newness factor wears thin, price drops as well. The XT-1 really looks like it could be a great addition to my imaging kit...

To all, Dave for starting this thread, replacing our G12 has proved to be an interesting search, EOS-M, NEX, even the Olys. It seems Fuji is serious about the 'X' system, it's lens selection is an important factor when deciding on a direction.

Thanks again for your insights...

Feb 09, 2014 at 02:03 PM
thw2
• • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · I`ve found a compromise that works for me

dave chilvers wrote:
I don`t carry my extensive Lee filter grad etc kit anymore as the software like Nik can do almost everything I need.
Dave

So, HDR Efex Pro in Nik software can replace grad filters? Do the results appear natural? I am curious.

PS: Will like to lighten my load w/o the whole bunch of filters and filter holder...

Feb 09, 2014 at 11:01 PM
dave chilvers
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · I`ve found a compromise that works for me

thw2 wrote:
So, HDR Efex Pro in Nik software can replace grad filters? Do the results appear natural? I am curious.

PS: Will like to lighten my load w/o the whole bunch of filters and filter holder...

The grad filters in Colour Efex pro 4 do a great job, you can use ND, or colours or make your own colour. The collection now is owned by google and you can download the complete set for trial. cost in the UK is $149 for the complete set. Don`t know how I worked without them to be honest. Download the trial, the common grads are in the colour efex 4 folder. They auto load into most progs themselves.( Elements, LR, PS etc)Not only can you add grads to sky but can darken of lighten the lower section and shift the grad line up or down, plus blend, plus rotate and lighten lights and darks.
Do yourself a favor and spend time to watch the many tuts from the site, there are a number of hidden things you might not find easily like the superb Control Points. Enjoy.

Dave

Feb 10, 2014 at 05:55 AM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.