New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Zero weather D800E CF card problem

marty2

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Zero weather D800E CF card problem

My Nikon D800E won't store images on the CF card in cold weather and gives an error message CD. On the other hand, the camera works fine in cold weather but can only store images on the SDHD card. Does anyone know if this can be fixed or have the same problem. Many friends of mine have the same camera and don't have any problem in winter in Alaska and my D7000 worked fine also in subzero weather. It seems to be a problem in the connection with the CF card.

Feb 02, 2014 at 05:26 PM
SteveDK
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Zero weather D800E CF card problem

Have you tried a different CF card? You should experiment to see if the camera or the card is the weak link at the problem temperature. I’ve used my D800E at -4˚F (-20˚C) with Sandisk Extreme Pro 16 GB SD card and Lexar 1000X CF card, and no issues. I have the camera set for both cards to record raw files with the CF as backup.

Feb 02, 2014 at 10:26 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Zero weather D800E CF card problem

Right off the top of my very bald head, I think it may be a flaky connection between card and pin. Try another card.

Feb 02, 2014 at 10:31 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Zero weather D800E CF card problem

What card are you using Marty?

Interesting, trying to do a little research. So far Sandisk Extreme is the only CF card I can find that lists operating temperature ranges.

http://www.sandisk.com/products/memory-cards/compactflash/extreme/

Durable Design
"SanDisk Extreme CompactFlash Memory Cards are designed to handle whatever life throws at you. This card is backed by rigorous stress, shock, and vibration testing procedures and includes RTV silicone coating for added protection against shock and vibration. It also operates in nearly any climate, with a functioning temperature range of -13 to 185 degrees Fahrenheit."

I think they should take a little off the top and add to the bottom...

Oh wait, here's a Kingston Ultimate CompactFlash card
>>Operating Temperature 32°F to 140°F (0°C to 60°C)
>>Storage Temperature -4°F to 185°F (-20°C to 85°C)

And Hoodman Steel CompactFlash
Operating Temp: (0°C-70°C) or (32°F-158°F)
Storage Temp: (-25°C-85°C)

I think there's a pattern here...

Maybe a Transcend "Industrial Grade" card? Might be slower, but a wiser choice when it's below zero.
Wide-range operating temperature: -40ºC (-40°F) to 85ºC (185°F)

Feb 02, 2014 at 11:13 PM
Jorge Torralba
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Zero weather D800E CF card problem

runamuck wrote:
Right off the top of my very bald head, I think it may be a flaky connection between card and pin. Try another card.

most likely contracting pins losing contact.

Feb 03, 2014 at 12:09 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Zero weather D800E CF card problem

Jorge Torralba wrote:
most likely contracting pins losing contact.

I once had a card that came apart. IIRC, the pin receptors on the card were a split design. The cold may be causing the substrate to shrink, pulling the receptor out of contact. Think of a speculum opening and closing.

Feb 03, 2014 at 03:22 PM
marty2

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Zero weather D800E CF card problem

This happened with both the Sandisk Extreme and Lexmar CF cards so I think it is the connection which is hard to get repaired since they need to duplicate the low temp to find the problem! Thanks for your research!

Feb 26, 2014 at 03:58 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.