New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · D800, thin clouds, Sigma 85, = Orion

Todd
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · D800, thin clouds, Sigma 85, = Orion

Hey fellas,

I went out with my telescope last night and my AstroTrac to observe and take photos. The evening sky started off clear and looked promising but it quickly turned to crap... I did however take advantage of the thin clouds and shot two images of Orion. The thin clouds cause the stars to bloom and their colors show very well. I was hoping for a much better sky, but I'll take what I can get...

Nikon D800 with a Sigma 85mm f/1.4 set at f/3.2, ISO 800 & 4 min exposure time.

1. Orion full

http://www.toddhargisphotography.com/Nature/Astrophotography/i-SDx6t22/0/X3/Orion%20Colors%20full-X3.jpg

2. Orion belt W/ Beteljuice

http://www.toddhargisphotography.com/Nature/Astrophotography/i-4BjRX87/0/X2/Orion%20Colors-X2.jpg

Todd

Feb 02, 2014 at 11:42 AM
cebseb
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · D800, thin clouds, Sigma 85, = Orion

Those are great! I've had my astrotrack for about 4 months now and have yet gotten a chance to use it. This is what I get for living in the Pacific Northwest.

Quick question, do you think the astrotrack can handle a d800e and a 200mm f2 vr combo? I know it theoretically can by just referring to weight limits, but I'm just curious if there may be any other issues that might arise. Thanks!

Feb 02, 2014 at 06:40 PM
Todd
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · D800, thin clouds, Sigma 85, = Orion

cebseb wrote:
Those are great! I've had my astrotrack for about 4 months now and have yet gotten a chance to use it. This is what I get for living in the Pacific Northwest.

Quick question, do you think the astrotrack can handle a d800e and a 200mm f2 vr combo? I know it theoretically can by just referring to weight limits, but I'm just curious if there may be any other issues that might arise. Thanks!

The Astro track should handle that combo easily. The only issue that you might run into is balance. Because what I have noticed with my 70–200 mm different parts of the sky affect the balance of that contract differently. You might consider buying the Astro track Widge which will give you a firmer mount to allow less flex in the Astro track. There is a company in California called OPTV which stands for Oceanside photo and telescope, they sell all the Astro track accessories there so you do not have to purchase them overseas. I have used a Borg 101 astro graph scope on mine with decent results. But whenever I use that scope and angle it to the left or to the right and it causes the astrotrac to go off balance on it doesn't track as well that way and I think that's why they use or sell that counterbalance arm to compensate for that. However the Astro track will handle up to 33 pounds so you shouldn't have a problem with that at all unless the head that you have the Astro track mounted to is weak and has a lot of flex to it then that might present a problem and that's why I recommend getting the wedge which I plan to get it eventually myself for that reason. Usually when I have my 200 mm on my Astro track I typically try to stay aiming south to prevent any off-balance with the guiding system and sometimes I only do that two or three minute exposure which should be plenty for you at F/2 to get good images. So try it out and let me know what you think. You can email me or private message me or refer back to this post.

Todd

Feb 02, 2014 at 08:57 PM
cebseb
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · D800, thin clouds, Sigma 85, = Orion

Thanks for the info Todd. Pming you now.

Feb 02, 2014 at 11:30 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.