Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2014 · Dippers and icy sunset....

arbitrage
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Dippers and icy sunset....

A few more from Wednesday....yes I'm getting desperate

C&C appreciated.

1) American Dipper

2) Black Billed Magpie

3) ADIF

4) Icy last light

5) Icy last light 2

Feb 02, 2014 at 08:29 AM
mitesh
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Dippers and icy sunset....

Hi Geoff,

I'm really liking the little environmental images that you have an eye for- I really like 4 and 5 for the textures, colors and emotions of winter that they evoke. The two dippers are great as well! Getting one IF couldn't have been easy! I always like a good magpie, but is it just me or does the eye on this one look like there is just a touch of blur? Apologies if I'm seeing things...

Feb 02, 2014 at 08:55 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Dippers and icy sunset....

mitesh wrote:
Hi Geoff,

I'm really liking the little environmental images that you have an eye for- I really like 4 and 5 for the textures, colors and emotions of winter that they evoke. The two dippers are great as well! Getting one IF couldn't have been easy! I always like a good magpie, but is it just me or does the eye on this one look like there is just a touch of blur? Apologies if I'm seeing things...

Nope, you are right, beak and eye aren't sharp!! 1/500 wasn't enough, for some reason I was too chicken to let the 1D4 go up past 1600ISO and that cost the sharpness. I switched to the 1DX soon after.....that is like a breathe of fresh air when the light is bad!! As I said....getting desperate but I'm heading back to the river today to see what I can find and hopefully have some better light. Next week we drop into the frigid temps again so this may be my last shot before I can't even go outside...

See my last thread for an update on the conditions in this area!!!

Feb 02, 2014 at 08:59 AM
Tim Kuhn
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Dippers and icy sunset....

The first is a fine shot of a dipper Geoff, the inclusion of a fair amount of environment adds a wonderful context to the shot. Of the icescapes the first one holds my eye the strongest. Well done

Tim

Feb 02, 2014 at 09:12 AM
DonGut
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Dippers and icy sunset....

I think this post is what could be called photographers "Cabin Fever". A trip to a warm wildlife abundant area would fix that!! Don

Feb 02, 2014 at 09:23 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Dippers and icy sunset....

Tim Kuhn wrote:
The first is a fine shot of a dipper Geoff, the inclusion of a fair amount of environment adds a wonderful context to the shot. Of the icescapes the first one holds my eye the strongest. Well done

Tim

Thanks Tim. Can you put into words what holds your eye longer on the 1st of the 2 icy sunset shots?

Feb 02, 2014 at 09:25 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Dippers and icy sunset....

DonGut wrote:
I think this post is what could be called photographers "Cabin Fever". A trip to a warm wildlife abundant area would fix that!! Don

Feb 25th.............

Feb 02, 2014 at 09:25 AM
Karl Witt
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Dippers and icy sunset....

#4 for me

#1 not showing much detail? If you are going to 'force' shoot maybe try a flash for a little pop and or highlight.
#2 not sharp at the eye?? Soft all over to me Geoff
#3 soft

Karl

Feb 02, 2014 at 09:27 AM
Tim Kuhn
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Dippers and icy sunset....

arbitrage wrote:
Thanks Tim. Can you put into words what holds your eye longer on the 1st of the 2 icy sunset shots?

I would say the flow of the image into the focal point in the lower third.

Tim

Feb 02, 2014 at 09:31 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Dippers and icy sunset....

Karl Witt wrote:
#4 for me

#1 not showing much detail? If you are going to 'force' shoot maybe try a flash for a little pop and or highlight.
#2 not sharp at the eye?? Soft all over to me Geoff
#3 soft

Karl

I don't agree with all the soft comments but then again I have the RAW files and not the FM mush that it usually creates so I will agree to disagree with you. Actually that isn't the right saying....I'll agree with you because I agree as posted they aren't all that sharp....however on my iPhone they look amazing....

Feb 02, 2014 at 09:33 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Dippers and icy sunset....

Tim Kuhn wrote:

Tim

Yes, I think that the 2nd is too centred with too much ice wall on the right. I wonder if stopping down would have netted any more DOF in the first to have less blur?...probably not much at 600mm and I was close to MFD. Too cold to whip out my 70-200 or 24-70 that I had in my backpack as I think I could have done something a bit better with one of those lenses!! Also sun was going in and out of clouds as it set so I had to work fast. That yellow glow on the water lasted about 1min.

Feb 02, 2014 at 09:46 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Dippers and icy sunset....

Tim Kuhn wrote:

Tim

Yes, I think that the 2nd is too centred with too much ice wall on the right. I wonder if stopping down would have netted any more DOF in the first to have less blur?...probably not much at 600mm and I was close to MFD. Too cold to whip out my 70-200 or 24-70 that I had in my backpack as I think I could have done something a bit better with one of those lenses!! Also sun was going in and out of clouds as it set so I had to work fast. That yellow glow on the water lasted about 1min.

Feb 02, 2014 at 09:46 AM
Karl Witt
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Dippers and icy sunset....

arbitrage wrote:
I don't agree with all the soft comments but then again I have the RAW files and not the FM mush that it usually creates so I will agree to disagree with you. Actually that isn't the right saying....I'll agree with you because I agree as posted they aren't all that sharp....however on my iPhone they look amazing....

Just saying how 'I' see them here. Maybe a bigger crop on the IF to really see it better.
#2 if that RAW is sharp then you should be able to show it on FM
Crappy light sucks for sure!
Karl

Feb 02, 2014 at 10:45 AM
Shasoc
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Dippers and icy sunset....

I'm looking at the feel of your images rather than concentrating on the techs.
I like how the blur in #3 enhances the motion. I also see a message of hope in the last two images May be a greater dof would have sent the message clearer.
However, looking at pictures it is not easy to think what the image means to the photographer
Socrate

Feb 02, 2014 at 10:46 AM
KCollett
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Dippers and icy sunset....

Interesting views of the ice Geoff. I like dippers, ergo I like the those shots too.

Feb 02, 2014 at 10:50 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Dippers and icy sunset....

Karl Witt wrote:
Just saying how 'I' see them here. Maybe a bigger crop on the IF to really see it better.
#2 if that RAW is sharp then you should be able to show it on FM
Crappy light sucks for sure!
Karl

No problem Carl. As I said I do agree with you they do seem soft as presented. I really don't know how to present what I can see in LR. I've already sharpened them and applied the highest amount of output sharpening and still I can't get it to look like it does in Lightroom. For example, in light room the feathers on the neck of the magpie are very crisp. Oh well, I'll keep trying.

Any suggestions are welcome but I prefer not to have to delve into Photoshop!!

Feb 02, 2014 at 07:36 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Dippers and icy sunset....

Shasoc wrote:
I'm looking at the feel of your images rather than concentrating on the techs.
I like how the blur in #3 enhances the motion. I also see a message of hope in the last two images May be a greater dof would have sent the message clearer.
However, looking at pictures it is not easy to think what the image means to the photographer
Socrate

Thanks Socrate. It was more the feel I was going for anyways with these images. Because really I knew they weren't quite up to scratch and of course that's why mentioned I was getting desperate. Just wait to see what came out of today's session....... I can basically throw all these old ones out now

Feb 02, 2014 at 07:39 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Dippers and icy sunset....

KCollett wrote:
Interesting views of the ice Geoff. I like dippers, ergo I like the those shots too.

Thanks Ken. Much appreciated as always.

Feb 02, 2014 at 07:39 PM
lowa2
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Dippers and icy sunset....

Really like #1 Geoff. The ice on the river rock is really cool looking, and the overall composition is terrific.

Charles

Feb 02, 2014 at 08:11 PM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Dippers and icy sunset....

Cool stuff Geoff. I usually prefer closer shots, but your dippers are very nice. Of the two icescapes, the first stands out ~ Ron

Feb 02, 2014 at 09:48 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.