FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4      
       end

Archive 2014 · Susan Stripling on CreativeLive Feb 3

Littleguy
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #1 · p.5 #1 · Susan Stripling on CreativeLive Feb 3

Was watching the episode on editing and her Outsourcer talked about LR editing and her workflow.

She does something new that I have never seen before with DNGs. All culling is done outside of LR, then she converts the selected RAW files into 2 sets of DNGs - downsized for the computer screen and the full size originals.

The edits are performed on the downsized DNGs for speed and afterwards the side-car files with the edits are linked to the full size originals before export to jpg.

I was wondering if this is the same as using the smart preview function in LR5 with the originals being off line and only bringing the originals back online when you are ready to export? I haven't tried editing using smart previews in LR5 as I keep everything online but if it speed things up - I may have to change my workflow. Also does anyone know what happens to deletes of smart previews when the offline originals are brought back online?

Mar 07, 2014 at 12:31 PM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.5 #2 · p.5 #2 · Susan Stripling on CreativeLive Feb 3

Littleguy wrote:
Was watching the episode on editing and her Outsourcer talked about LR editing and her workflow.

She does something new that I have never seen before with DNGs. All culling is done outside of LR, then she converts the selected RAW files into 2 sets of DNGs - downsized for the computer screen and the full size originals.

The edits are performed on the downsized DNGs for speed and afterwards the side-car files with the edits are linked to the full size originals before export to jpg.

I was wondering if this is the same as using the smart preview function in LR5
...Show more

Pretty much ... yes.
It does speed items up.
If you do create jpgs off the smart previews... they are smaller in size. makes sense - the smart previews have less size to them.

Mar 07, 2014 at 12:39 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.5 #3 · p.5 #3 · Susan Stripling on CreativeLive Feb 3

Littleguy wrote:

What part of the process are you trying to speed up? Import/export, moving from file to file within the develop mode or everything? In Susan's case her RAW files are not that huge, she shoots with a 16MP D4 so I don't see this bringing huge benefits unless you have a older slower machine. Or maybe you are shooting with D800 or 5D MKIII. To me it seems like extra steps. Culling outside of LR can have huge benefits.

Mar 07, 2014 at 01:28 PM
joelconner
• • • •
p.5 #4 · p.5 #4 · Susan Stripling on CreativeLive Feb 3

I have not watched any of this, but I am so tempted to buy it. She just seems like the kind of person from whom I would like to learn.

Mar 07, 2014 at 01:44 PM
Littleguy
• • •
p.5 #5 · p.5 #5 · Susan Stripling on CreativeLive Feb 3

Want to speed up the develop module in the moving and rendering of the previews for changes made in the develop module.

Just wondering if using smart previews and taking the originals offline would accomplish the same thing without the added DNG conversion steps?

Mar 07, 2014 at 01:48 PM
Scott Mosher
• • • •
p.5 #6 · p.5 #6 · Susan Stripling on CreativeLive Feb 3

Littleguy wrote:
Want to speed up the develop module in the moving and rendering of the previews for changes made in the develop module.

Just wondering if using smart previews and taking the originals offline would accomplish the same thing without the added DNG conversion steps?

Yeap. As someone who also edits images for other photographers I just tell them to import the images into LR5, create smart previews, and then send me the LR catalog with the smart previews folder. Saves upload/download time and editing time.

Mar 07, 2014 at 02:04 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.5 #7 · p.5 #7 · Susan Stripling on CreativeLive Feb 3

Littleguy wrote:

Probably since they are a smaller sized RAW file.

What camera files are you talking about?

Mar 07, 2014 at 02:05 PM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.5 #8 · p.5 #8 · Susan Stripling on CreativeLive Feb 3

Scott Mosher wrote:
Yeap. As someone who also edits images for other photographers I just tell them to import the images into LR5, create smart previews, and then send me the LR catalog with the smart previews folder. Saves upload/download time and editing time.

^^^^^ This ... I am in the same boat. working the same way.

Mar 07, 2014 at 02:08 PM
joelconner
• • • •
p.5 #9 · p.5 #9 · Susan Stripling on CreativeLive Feb 3

I took a punt and bought this class. I have only watched about 4-5 hours so far, but thus far it is a great class. There is definitely enough content in there for seasoned people as well...I definitely am picking a lot of things up. Just wanted to give a little review for anyone who might come across this thread in the future. I love how honest, up-front, and client-focused she is.

Mar 25, 2014 at 10:36 AM
       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.