New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2014 · Printing on canvas

ben egbert
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Printing on canvas

It was recently suggested to me that a particular image be printed on canvas. I have never considered that option before, but decided to investigate even if I never do it.

I see that Canson and Hannemule both have canvas papers at B&H although I did not see any larger than 13x19. But the real question is how they would print on an Epson 3800?

I have trouble feeding 308 photorag in the rear, I usually need to start it 2-3 times to get a properly loaded signal, in fact thats true for all papers in the rear feeder. But I live with it. I also have some paper with a wrinkled corner (dropped in shipping). If I don't get it perfectly flattened, it catches the print head on the last 1/2 inch of print and causes smears and sometimes scratches.

The point is, how hard is canvas to feed? Is it floppy like cloth? Does it hold detail? How does it compare to photorag type papers in terms of brightness and color and detail?

Jan 31, 2014 at 12:23 PM
Sarsfield
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Printing on canvas

Why not just send the photo out to be printed on canvas? There are a lot of places that specialize in this and they do a great job, imo. The danger of getting canvas jammed in the printer has always given me pause with the 3 printers I have and I send this type of work out to avoid this. Most canvas has some rigidity but it is pretty 'floppy' and the thickness is at least double what most papers are.

As far as color and detail, there are definitely compromises when dealing with any fabric. They do coat the canvas to prevent bleed and over-absorption but you still lose saturation and fine detail. It's unavoidable. The thing I do is over-saturate and sharpen to a greater amount than I would if printing on paper.

Jan 31, 2014 at 01:13 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Printing on canvas

Sarsfield wrote:
Why not just send the photo out to be printed on canvas? There are a lot of places that specialize in this and they do a great job, imo. The danger of getting canvas jammed in the printer has always given me pause with the 3 printers I have and I send this type of work out to avoid this. Most canvas has some rigidity but it is pretty 'floppy' and the thickness is at least double what most papers are.

As far as color and detail, there are definitely compromises when dealing with any fabric. They do coat the canvas
...Show more

Thanks for your reply. Your comments give me pause for doing it myself. So far I have never gotten a decent print from outside sources. The problem is getting the processing right. I have a hard enough time at home when I can print>check>change>reprint.

Jan 31, 2014 at 01:41 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Printing on canvas

ben egbert wrote:
It was recently suggested to me that a particular image be printed on canvas. I have never considered that option before, but decided to investigate even if I never do it.

I see that Canson and Hannemule both have canvas papers at B&H although I did not see any larger than 13x19. But the real question is how they would print on an Epson 3800?

I have trouble feeding 308 photorag in the rear, I usually need to start it 2-3 times to get a properly loaded signal, in fact thats true for all papers in the rear feeder. But I
...Show more

Canvas sheets are a pain to feed. If you are serious about canvas, the only way to print is from rolls.

Jan 31, 2014 at 02:02 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Printing on canvas

chez wrote:
Canvas sheets are a pain to feed. If you are serious about canvas, the only way to print is from rolls.

The 3800 does not take rolls. I do have some roll stock I use for panos but I have to cut and flatten it before use. That would not help with canvas.

I may have to just buy a print on canvas as a test, but I would be hard pressed on processing it first. I could simply do this from Smugmug.

Jan 31, 2014 at 02:27 PM
egd5
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Printing on canvas

Yes, Smugmug would be a good route. Although I haven't used them for canvas, I'd recommend Bay Photo. They have done a few excellent prints for me.
With printing on Canvas you can get by with a little more sharpening than photo paper. Otherwise just process it like any other file and it should turn out fine.

Jan 31, 2014 at 04:37 PM
krug
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Printing on canvas

I think that many of us have had problems with canvas sheet not feeding properly into the printer - if this is your problem try this - I have found that this solves the problem and I have used this with Epson 3800 printers and it works fine.

Take a piece of spare paper the width of the canvas sheet and with some double-sided tape stick it to the rear side of the canvas sheet with about a quarter inch protruding from the canvas sheet - the printer 'bites' on the leading edge of normal paper and draws the canvas into the printer. So long as you have left sufficient margin to your print to be wider than the 'leading strip' you should be fine.

Works every time for me - having had dreadful problems getting the 3800 to accept canvas sheet before - can't guarantee for you but worth a try perhaps - I doubt if my printer is unique in accepting feed this way.

Jan 31, 2014 at 04:58 PM
Camperjim
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Printing on canvas

I just got an email from Red River Paper promoting their "Paper Canvas." It seems this is a matte paper texturized to give the appearance of canvas. The cost is low (about $2 for a 17x25 sheet) so this might be worth a try.

Jan 31, 2014 at 05:10 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Printing on canvas

krug wrote:
I think that many of us have had problems with canvas sheet not feeding properly into the printer - if this is your problem try this - I have found that this solves the problem and I have used this with Epson 3800 printers and it works fine.

Take a piece of spare paper the width of the canvas sheet and with some double-sided tape stick it to the rear side of the canvas sheet with about a quarter inch protruding from the canvas sheet - the printer 'bites' on the leading edge of normal paper and draws the canvas into
...Show more

I assume you need to increase the print gap to accommodate the extra thickness.

Jan 31, 2014 at 05:42 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Printing on canvas

Camperjim wrote:
I just got an email from Red River Paper promoting their "Paper Canvas." It seems this is a matte paper texturized to give the appearance of canvas. The cost is low (about $2 for a 17x25 sheet) so this might be worth a try.

Good idea Jim, have you ever tried it? Still just buying a print would be cheaper for a one time test. I assume thats $2,00 per sheet for say 25 sheets or so,

Jan 31, 2014 at 05:43 PM
Camperjim
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Printing on canvas

Price is $41 for 20 17x25 sheets. I have not tried this but I think I will include a box along with my next paper order. I think I would also need to give this some thought about the most appropriate way of presentation. Since this is paper you would not be able to do a wrap. I think a float frame might work best.

Jan 31, 2014 at 06:13 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Printing on canvas

Camperjim wrote:
Price is $41 for 20 17x25 sheets. I have not tried this but I think I will include a box along with my next paper order. I think I would also need to give this some thought about the most appropriate way of presentation. Since this is paper you would not be able to do a wrap. I think a float frame might work best.

I will wait until you try it. Keep me posted on the results. I am not hot for canvas, it was just something somebody suggested and I wanted to see what the problems would be.

Jan 31, 2014 at 06:38 PM
krug
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Printing on canvas

Nope - never had to change anything just use a thin (not flimsy) piece of ordinary paper - use only 3 to 4 inches taped close to the edge of your canvas sheet but leaving the leading edge of the added paper exposed - goes through without any issues for me.

Jan 31, 2014 at 06:43 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Printing on canvas

krug wrote:
Nope - never had to change anything just use a thin (not flimsy) piece of ordinary paper - use only 3 to 4 inches taped close to the edge of your canvas sheet but leaving the leading edge of the added paper exposed - goes through without any issues for me.

Ok I get it.

Jan 31, 2014 at 07:39 PM
msalvetti
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Printing on canvas

Here is a thread from 2012 with some suggestions on who to use for canvas:
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1116103/0

I provided a review of a pano I ordered from CGPro Prints. It came out great, and continues to look great on my office wall 18 months later.

I also tried CanvasPop. They didn't do as good a job as CGPro, particularly on the finish of the back of the canvas (it was open) and the overall rigidity. They do however let you order custom sizes, which I think is a bit unusual for the canvas shops.

Mark

Jan 31, 2014 at 08:34 PM
hugowolf
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Printing on canvas

Hi Ben,

Here is a link to Eric Chan’s original account of printing with canvas on the Epson 3800: http://people.csail.mit.edu/ericchan/dp/Epson3800/faq.html#canvassupport

With the rear manual feed on the Epson 3880, I get one paper sheet rejection in 50 – I have become very good with the rear feed. With canvas ,without a paper leader, I get about ten rejects to one acceptance.

Red River canvas paper just isn’t that nice. But maybe the original suggestion was merely implying the image would look good on a textured surface, and there lots of very nice textured fine art papers available from Canson, Hahnemühle, and others.

My second best selling paper (after Canson Rag Photographique), is Hahnemühle German Etching. Quite a distinct texture, but holds detail extremely well, and a personal favorite of mine. And it is also one of the half dozen or so papers available in US Arch D (24 x 36 inch) sheets. Epson Cold Press(ed) Natural and Bright are very reasonably priced papers. (I think I have said this before, but at some point you may break down and actually buy a couple of sample boxes.)

For me the main thing about canvas is that you can do a gallerie wrap with it. And with a 17 inch printer, the edge wrapping leaves you with a fairly small wrap. Perhaps 3 inches on each side leaves you with an 11 by something. If you are going to dry mount it, then you may as well stick with a textured paper.

I would leave canvas printing to roll feed printers 24 inches or wider.

Brian A

Jan 31, 2014 at 09:42 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Printing on canvas

hugowolf wrote:
Hi Ben,

Here is a link to Eric Chan’s original account of printing with canvas on the Epson 3800: http://people.csail.mit.edu/ericchan/dp/Epson3800/faq.html#canvassupport

With the rear manual feed on the Epson 3880, I get one paper sheet rejection in 50 – I have become very good with the rear feed. With canvas ,without a paper leader, I get about ten rejects to one acceptance.

Red River canvas paper just isn’t that nice. But maybe the original suggestion was merely implying the image would look good on a textured surface, and there lots of very nice textured fine art papers available from Canson, Hahnemühle, and others.

My
...Show more

Thanks Brian. If I decide to try canvas, I will probably just order one from an online source. I have done some printing lately. I used up all my Canson 8.5x11 doing test prints.1/2 way through my Hahnemulle 24x36. I expect to replace that with Canson.

I will give a sample box some consideration. Guess I should do that before I reorder the large sheets.

I don't do gallery wraps.

Jan 31, 2014 at 10:14 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Printing on canvas

msalvetti wrote:
Here is a thread from 2012 with some suggestions on who to use for canvas:
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1116103/0

I provided a review of a pano I ordered from CGPro Prints. It came out great, and continues to look great on my office wall 18 months later.

I also tried CanvasPop. They didn't do as good a job as CGPro, particularly on the finish of the back of the canvas (it was open) and the overall rigidity. They do however let you order custom sizes, which I think is a bit unusual for the canvas shops.

Mark

Mark, thanks for the link, it looks like it will take a while to wade through it, but I will.

Jan 31, 2014 at 10:15 PM
hugowolf
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Printing on canvas

ben egbert wrote:

I will give a sample box some consideration. Guess I should do that before I reorder the large sheets.

I would suggest the Canson sample pack, the Hahnemuhle matte sample pack, and the Epson Signature sample pack. Apart from anything else, they give you a reference point.

ben egbert wrote:
I don't do gallery wraps.

And you probably don't do dry mounting either, so outsourcing canvas printing would probably be better for you. Since you display without glazing, canvas doesn't take well to the standard T-hinge mounting that is used for paper prints - it sags.

But look at the textured fine art paper selection, there are some mighty fine papers there. Everything from traditional watercolor papers like Arches Aquarelle (sold by Canson in its inkjet coated form); Canson BFK Rives, a traditional velvet printing paper, Hahnemuhle German Etching, Hahnemuhle Museum Etching, and many, many more.

You might be suprised at how texture can add to an image rather than detract.

Brian A

Feb 01, 2014 at 12:28 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Printing on canvas

hugowolf wrote:
I would suggest the Canson sample pack, the Hahnemuhle matte sample pack, and the Epson Signature sample pack. Apart from anything else, they give you a reference point.

And you probably don't do dry mounting either, so outsourcing canvas printing would probably be better for you. Since you display without glazing, canvas doesn't take well to the standard T-hinge mounting that is used for paper prints - it sags.

But look at the textured fine art paper selection, there are some mighty fine papers there. Everything from traditional watercolor papers like Arches Aquarelle (sold by Canson in its inkjet coated form); Canson
...Show more

You have never given me anything buy excellent advice. I will order some of these and give them a try.

I have made major strides in post processing thanks to help recieved here. I am going through the archives and reprocessing some dramatic scenes from years past that had issues, especially DR, I now have ways to make these images work and would like to print some of them. Unfortunately, some are from an 8 mpixel 20D so a bit short on pixels for 16x24.

Edit after doing some research.

1. I have done sample packs in the past and have several Hahnemulle samples, albeit printed already with older processing. Still, enough to have something to look at.

2. Epson does not seem to have 24x36 paper in the types I would be interested in.

3. Canson is worth a look and I will order a pack.

Edited on Feb 01, 2014 at 01:04 PM · View previous versions

Feb 01, 2014 at 09:49 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.