Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2014 · Rokinon 14mm - What Mount For The Sony A7?

cleewag
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Rokinon 14mm - What Mount For The Sony A7?

Then, there's always this option...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-14mm-F2-8-Wide-Angle-Lens-for-Sony-Alpha-/280727629567?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item415cabaeff

Mar 05, 2014 at 12:42 PM
cleewag
• •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Rokinon 14mm - What Mount For The Sony A7?

Or this one...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bower-14mm-f-2-8-Lens-for-Sony-Minolta-DSLR-Cameras-SLY1428S-/370996196951?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item566118b657

Mar 05, 2014 at 12:52 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Rokinon 14mm - What Mount For The Sony A7?

Those are APS-C lenses, no good for a FF camera.

Mar 05, 2014 at 03:26 PM
DRose44
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Rokinon 14mm - What Mount For The Sony A7?

carstenw wrote:
Those are APS-C lenses, no good for a FF camera.

Nope, both will cover FF, they are just 'optimized for APS-C'. I guess that just means soft corners on FF.

Here's the B&H quote.
Though this lens will cover the imaging sensor of a full-frame DSLR, it is better optimized for use with DSLRs containing smaller APS-C format sensors. As such you might notice softer focus and some light fall-off towards the edges of the frame when using a full-frame DSLR. If you do plan on using this lens with a full-frame DSLR we recommend you set the lens no wider (faster) than f/8 for optimum image quality.

Mar 05, 2014 at 06:02 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Rokinon 14mm - What Mount For The Sony A7?

Right, like every other APS-C lens...

Mar 05, 2014 at 06:05 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Rokinon 14mm - What Mount For The Sony A7?

If there's a way to get focus confirmation and aperture control with an adapter, that'd be the way I go- that's the only annoyance I have with using the lens in EF-mount on my 6D. Manual aperture isn't so bad, but lack of focus confirmation and lack of EXIF are more annoying.

Mar 05, 2014 at 06:29 PM
DRose44
• •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Rokinon 14mm - What Mount For The Sony A7?

johnctharp wrote:
If there's a way to get focus confirmation and aperture control with an adapter, that'd be the way I go- that's the only annoyance I have with using the lens in EF-mount on my 6D. Manual aperture isn't so bad, but lack of focus confirmation and lack of EXIF are more annoying.

You will never get aperture control with this lens, but you can have focus confirmation and EXIF (aperture). I've used the Nikon mount with a chipped adapter on my Canon bodies, works great.

Mar 05, 2014 at 07:03 PM
DRose44
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Rokinon 14mm - What Mount For The Sony A7?

carstenw wrote:
Right, like every other APS-C lens...

Samyang only makes one 14mm (in different mounts and badges), my 'FF' Rokinon 14mm F/2.8 is the same lens as those that was linked.

Mar 05, 2014 at 07:03 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Rokinon 14mm - What Mount For The Sony A7?

DRose44 wrote:
You will never get aperture control with this lens, but you can have focus confirmation and EXIF (aperture). I've used the Nikon mount with a chipped adapter on my Canon bodies, works great.

I may be mistaken, but I thought that there was a semi-automated version just for Nikon alongside the fully-manual version that allowed for aperture control and reporting.

Mar 05, 2014 at 07:10 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Rokinon 14mm - What Mount For The Sony A7?

DRose44 wrote:

Or you can install a chip confirmation (from eBay) on the Canon mount version. I did that to mine and it also works great on the 5D III. Not so much on the A7R.

Mar 05, 2014 at 07:11 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Rokinon 14mm - What Mount For The Sony A7?

DRose44 wrote:
Samyang only makes one 14mm (in different mounts and badges), my 'FF' Rokinon 14mm F/2.8 is the same lens as those that was linked.

Really?? Then why did you say it was optimised for APS-C? Presumably it is optimised for FF, and then also usable on APS-C.

Mar 06, 2014 at 03:23 AM
Sami Ruusunen
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Rokinon 14mm - What Mount For The Sony A7?

DRose44 wrote:
Nope, both will cover FF, they are just 'optimized for APS-C'. I guess that just means soft corners on FF.

Here's the B&H quote.

Samyang 14mm f2.8 is for FF cameras and is no way optimized for anything else, it's sharp to corners in FF cameras.

Samyang 16mm f2 is aps-c lens and does not cover the ff sensor at all.

Mar 06, 2014 at 03:45 AM
DRose44
• •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Rokinon 14mm - What Mount For The Sony A7?

Just quoting what B&H and Bower has to say about the lens.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/698923-REG/Bower_SLY14MMF28C_14mm_f_2_8_Ultra_Wide.html

I don't remember reading this when I purchased mine. Maybe they got tired of replacing decentered copies and added it to the lens description.

Mar 06, 2014 at 06:20 AM
Sami Ruusunen
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Rokinon 14mm - What Mount For The Sony A7?

DRose44 wrote:
Just quoting what B&H and Bower has to say about the lens.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/698923-REG/Bower_SLY14MMF28C_14mm_f_2_8_Ultra_Wide.html

I don't remember reading this when I purchased mine. Maybe they got tired of replacing decentered copies and added it to the lens description.

It's just a mistake from B&H, there's no that note in Samyang or Rokinon versions and it's a same lens with different branding.

Mar 06, 2014 at 06:29 AM
wfrank
• • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Rokinon 14mm - What Mount For The Sony A7?

Fred Miranda wrote:
Or you can install a chip confirmation (from eBay) on the Canon mount version. I did that to mine and it also works great on the 5D III. Not so much on the A7R.

I did that when I used in on the 5D2. It was ok but I find focus peaking to be superior. Even more useful is to mark the barrel where the optimal infinity focus is as that is the most common setting - even for a non-landscaper like me.

Mar 06, 2014 at 02:42 PM
       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.