Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2014 · Help me choose a new camera.

retrofocus
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Help me choose a new camera.

Simple question: why not keeping the 5D MkII and ask your sister to get a new camera for the money? I don't think it is a good timing right now to jump into a new camera body with Canon now - better wait a bit until a 5D MkIV is released which will automatically lead to drop in prices for the other 5D series cameras. Sensor-wise a MkIII or 6D don't bring you much advantage over the MkII other than some better high ISO performance.

Jan 31, 2014 at 08:15 PM
Betacamman
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Help me choose a new camera.

At $2k, you could even find a used 1DsIII. Full frame, 20MP, 5fps. No video, though.

I never found the 1DIII limiting, though.

The hardest part for me was that after using a 1D body, everything else felt flimsy.

Jan 31, 2014 at 08:52 PM
sb in ak
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Help me choose a new camera.

It could go the other way though. Though you might use this mostly for sports, do you really want to haul a 1-series body on everyday photo missions?

Jan 31, 2014 at 10:35 PM
JayCeePhotog
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Help me choose a new camera.

Right now, I'm thinking of getting the 1D IV. The point of this new camera, is that I have the option of changing bodies, and my needs are somewhat changing because I am getting into a photojournalism, and I want to get the FPS.

Feb 01, 2014 at 05:29 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Help me choose a new camera.

JayCeePhotog wrote:
6D + 7D combo: I'll have two bodies, FF, FPS, noise performance, and video on both. and the 6D has slightly better lowlight focusing than the 5DM2. BUT price, and the 6D isn't a "pro" camera, but an entry level FF.

I don't think either of those bodies are considered "pro" - even though a pro can use any camera

If you are looking for frame rate, the 1DIV is probably the better option. For DR, 6D or 5D3 is probably better. video is probably fine on all of them.

Feb 01, 2014 at 08:45 PM
digitalbug30d
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Help me choose a new camera.

The 1d Mark3 all the way,Ive seen them for 950.00,you could get a 400 f 5.6 to add with the other 1050.00 if you look hard,and for news etc pushing to 6400 you wont notice in print.

Feb 02, 2014 at 05:06 AM
Sneakyracer
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Help me choose a new camera.

JayCeePhotog wrote:
Man. You do bring a lovely point with that. I personally shoot some fraternity/sorority formals, weddings, etc, and I personally can't do those without FF (standards of quality, etc). I just wish I could shell out the cash for a 6D, and a 1D Mark 3. I would give my sister the 6D, and I'd keep the 5DM2 & the 1D Mark III.

In a perfect world, someone would sell me a 1D X for $2,000 and I'd live happily ever after.

Hi, first off. You are over thinking it. The specific camera you choose is not that important (I know, you will almost NEVER read that in these forums!) Properly used, awesome images can be made with the 7D (or even one of the Rebels). That includes people/events and sports. Honestly the lenses you choose might have more of an impact on the capabilities of your gear. With full frame you will need longer lenses for sports, and that can get VERY expensive, real fast.

With good post production and technique the 7D can be used to make clean high iso images. Yes, if you compared them side by side with ones made with a 6D/5D3 they won't look as nice but that does not make them bad.

That said the 1D4 has a great combination of good detail and high iso performance, speed and reach (1.3x sensor). It would be my choice but only after I had the right lenses.

Feb 02, 2014 at 08:58 AM
JayCeePhotog
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Help me choose a new camera.

Sneakyracer wrote:
Hi, first off. You are over thinking it. The specific camera you choose is not that important (I know, you will almost NEVER read that in these forums!) Properly used, awesome images can be made with the 7D (or even one of the Rebels). That includes people/events and sports. Honestly the lenses you choose might have more of an impact on the capabilities of your gear. With full frame you will need longer lenses for sports, and that can get VERY expensive, real fast.

With good post production and technique the 7D can be used to make clean high iso
...Show more

YesI think I am overthinking it, but I need one camera that does different things. I am not only looking to do sports, but news coverage, and wedding along with it. FF helps so much with the wide angle, and depth of field + ISO.

I have used the 7D before, and the ISO is pretty good up to 1600 with sports. I am a fan of really clean images with little to no ISO. The 7D will help me with the reach, but I figure if I throw on a 70-200 F2.8, I can use a tele 1.4 or 2x and get really good results with it since a 300mm F2.8 is out of the question, so the next best thing would be a 300mm F4, so I concluded that a 70-200mm F2.8 with 1.4x tele will do the job nicely.

On top of that, imagine quality and color has been a problem when I shot basketball the other day with the 7D. The 5D's colors have been a lot cleaner, and accurate.

Feb 04, 2014 at 04:18 AM
JayCeePhotog
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Help me choose a new camera.

Dustin Gent wrote:
I don't think either of those bodies are considered "pro" - even though a pro can use any camera

If you are looking for frame rate, the 1DIV is probably the better option. For DR, 6D or 5D3 is probably better. video is probably fine on all of them.

in regards to "pro" bodies. I mean that they have a lot of functionality that would be useful in certain cases such as FPS, built in grips, etc. PC-sync is also a huge thing for me since I do use pocketwizards, and I do not like adding adapters to make my gear "work" or become "makeshift".

Feb 04, 2014 at 04:21 AM
kmunroe
• • • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Help me choose a new camera.

JayCeePhotog wrote:
Right now, I'm thinking of getting the 1D IV. The point of this new camera, is that I have the option of changing bodies, and my needs are somewhat changing because I am getting into a photojournalism, and I want to get the FPS.

you'd definitely be happy with a 1D IV

Feb 04, 2014 at 04:37 AM
JayCeePhotog
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Help me choose a new camera.

kmunroe wrote:
you'd definitely be happy with a 1D IV

I just need to find it at the right price now

Feb 04, 2014 at 08:41 AM
kezeka
• • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Help me choose a new camera.

JayCeePhotog wrote:
I just need to find it at the right price now

Hold on a second, you can't afford a $2600 5D3 but you can afford a $3000 1D IV? Huh?

I don't think the FPS of the 5D3 is at all limiting. Hell, I almost never use the full 10 fps of the 1D3 and I shoot photojournalism-like things all of the time.

Feb 04, 2014 at 09:19 AM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.