FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2014 · Official: Zeiss Touit 50mm F2.8 Macro announced

Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Official: Zeiss Touit 50mm F2.8 Macro announced

Official: Zeiss Touit 50mm F2.8 Macro announced
The new Zeiss Touit 50mm F2.8 Macro is designed for Sony E-mount and Fujifilm X-mount mirrorless cameras and joins the Touit 12mm f/2.8 and Touit 32mm f/1.8 to satisfy photographers looking for the highest image quality they can get from their APC-sensor bodies.

Specifications:
  1. Designed for APS-C-Sized Sensors
  2. 35mm Equivalent Focal Length: 75mm
  3. 1:1 Magnification power
  4. Floating Element Design
  5. Construction: 14 Elements in 11 Groups
  6. Minimum focus: 0.15 m (5.91")
  7. Carl Zeiss T* Anti-Reflective Coating
  8. Rigid Metal Construction
  9. Diameter / Length: 65mm (2.56") / 91mm (3.58")
  10. Weight: 290 g (0.64 lb)
Pre-order it from B&H Photo ($999)

OBERKOCHEN/Germany, 30.01.2014 - More and more photographers are taking advantage of the growing possibilities afforded by compact system cameras with APS-C sensors. With the Touit 2.8/12 and Touit 1.8/32, ZEISS already offers two lenses with E- and X-mount that suffice in meeting the demands of ambitious photographers. Now, the new ZEISS Touit 2.8/50M expands the Touit family to include longer focal lengths as well as close-up coverage.

The Touit 2.8/50M offers a magnification power of 1:1. As a result, the photographed object appears on the camera sensor in its original size. Details that cannot be seen with the naked eye become impressively visible at short shooting distances. This new Touit is therefore following in very large footsteps: ZEISS macro lenses with a magnification power of 1:2, such as the Makro-Planar T* 2/100 and Makro-Planar T* 2/50, have already established themselves as top macro lenses among SLR lenses.

Thanks to its moderate telephoto focal length, the Touit 2.8/50M is also perfect as a portrait lens. When allowing for a crop factor of 1.5, the angular field corresponds to a full-frame-equivalent focal length of 75 mm. Here, too, the lens’s enormous versatility pays off. The lens covers distances from infinity to a magnification power of 1:1. The Touit 2.8/50M is a versatile lens that harmonizes very well with the flexible application of compact APS-C system cameras. Its imaging power makes it an ideal choice for close-ups and portraits.

The Touit 2.8/50M also employs the floating elements design from ZEISS. This enables the lens to achieve a consistently high imaging performance, including up to the minimum object distance (MOD). The exceptional image quality remains consistent, independent of the focus setting. Two aspheres – lens elements number three and four – deliver an important contribution to the high image quality. Two additional lens elements with low dispersion – lens elements number two and nine – help ensure that the lateral and longitudinal chromatic aberrations are kept to a minimum.

A round iris with a total of nine blades gives areas of the motif outside the focus a soft and very natural-looking character. Focused objects before a blurry background are clearly accentuated, creating a harmonious and balanced bokeh. Excellent sharpness along all f-stops rounds off the performance spectrum of the Touit 2.8/50M.

“The new Touit 2.8/50M is for photographers who already use our other two Touit lenses; it’s the ideal complement to their portfolio. Owners of APS-C system cameras with Sony E- or Fujifilm X-mounts who are looking for a new high-end lens will also want to use the Touit 2.8/50M. Whether a photographer has an eye for the smallest details or likes sharp portraits and pleasing bokeh, our new all-around Touit will definitely be at the top of their wish list,” says Dr. Michael Pollmann, Product and Program Manager from ZEISS Camera Lenses.

The Touit 2.8/50M with E and X mount will be available worldwide in March 2014. The recommended sales price will be about EUR 755 (excl. VAT.)* or US$ 999 (excl. VAT)*.

Jan 30, 2014 at 01:17 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Official: Zeiss Touit 50mm F2.8 Macro announced

Hmm, native 1:1 in a smallish lens that doesn't extend when focusing and a nine-blade aperture. All that and what looks to be some serious optical power.

And to get it, you just have to be willing to deal with FBW and controlling the aperture on camera with the NEXs.

Every time I think I've bought my last AF lens, they pull me back in.

Jan 30, 2014 at 06:26 PM
ucphotog
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Official: Zeiss Touit 50mm F2.8 Macro announced

Am I reading this correctly to say that it doesn't support A7/A7r? In other words, the image circle of the lens will not cover the full-frame sensor? I am supposing that it will mount on an A7. Or am I completely muddled and mixing up my mounts?

Jan 30, 2014 at 07:49 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Official: Zeiss Touit 50mm F2.8 Macro announced

ucphotog wrote:
Am I reading this correctly to say that it doesn't support A7/A7r? In other words, the image circle of the lens will not cover the full-frame sensor? I am supposing that it will mount on an A7. Or am I completely muddled and mixing up my mounts?

Yeah, it should mount on the A7/R, but the image circle is for aps-c.

Jan 30, 2014 at 07:51 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Official: Zeiss Touit 50mm F2.8 Macro announced

ucphotog wrote:

It works on the A7 series in 'crop mode' but resolution will be lowered to 10MP if mounted on the A7 and 15MP on the A7R.
Focal length will be 75mm. (1:1 Magnification power)

Jan 30, 2014 at 08:01 PM
ucphotog
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Official: Zeiss Touit 50mm F2.8 Macro announced

Thanks.

Does the Otus have an e-mount version? I went to the Zeiss site and saw only ZE and ZF.2. Oh, I see that Sony direct sells a full-frame Zeiss 50mm. I wonder how it compares to the Touit and/or Otus optically?

Jan 30, 2014 at 08:07 PM
dhbanes

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Official: Zeiss Touit 50mm F2.8 Macro announced

ucphotog wrote:
Thanks.

Does the Otus have an e-mount version? I went to the Zeiss site and saw only ZE and ZF.2. Oh, I see that Sony direct sells a full-frame Zeiss 50mm. I wonder how it compares to the Touit and/or Otus optically?

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1270107

Jan 30, 2014 at 09:28 PM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Official: Zeiss Touit 50mm F2.8 Macro announced

ucphotog wrote:
Thanks.

The E mount answer to the Otus is the FE 55/1.8

Sony sells an A mount Zeiss 50/1.4, which is very good, and an E mount Zeiss 55/1.8, which is almost an Otus for a fraction of the cost. The 55 is definitely the better lens (and the cheaper of the two Sony Zeiss normals).

Jan 30, 2014 at 11:51 PM
ucphotog
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Official: Zeiss Touit 50mm F2.8 Macro announced

Thanks, dhbanes and mawz. I just found that link and lens referenced elsewhere. Very interesting.

The idea of an "Otus for a fraction of the cost" is very intriguing, and if Sony had come out with an A750 in a timely fashion, I might still be shooting Sony. But when Sony never came out with an A750, I moved to Nikon. OK, they eventually came out with the A77, I guess, but by then I had been using Nikon for at least a year. :-/

Still, Sony might be trying "one of each" right now, but it seems like some of them are working pretty well.

Jan 31, 2014 at 12:40 AM
Vern Dewit
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Official: Zeiss Touit 50mm F2.8 Macro announced

Considering how well the 12mm Touit works on the A7r, I will almost certainly pick this up for macro work and portraits. 75mm is a favorite FL of mine for both.

When the NEX-7 successor comes along I will get that as a backup or when I need more than 15mp resolution. So far the E and FE mounts are playing better together than I originally thought they would.

Jan 31, 2014 at 09:36 AM
alwang
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Official: Zeiss Touit 50mm F2.8 Macro announced

I dont own an a7 yet, but i still cant see why anyone would buy this touit over the 55 1.8 FE. The FE is the same price, probably optically superior, faster, and if there's a sliver of a chance you might move to FF e-mount in the future, this seems like a no brainer. The FE is bigger, but it's not like the Touit is truly compact. If you really need shorter focusing, you can get a set of e-mount extension tubes for peanuts.

Jan 31, 2014 at 10:13 AM
Vern Dewit
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Official: Zeiss Touit 50mm F2.8 Macro announced

alwang wrote:
I dont own an a7 yet, but i still cant see why anyone would buy this touit over the 55 1.8 FE. The FE is the same price, probably optically superior, faster, and if there's a sliver of a chance you might move to FF e-mount in the future, this seems like a no brainer. The FE is bigger, but it's not like the Touit is truly compact. If you really need shorter focusing, you can get a set of e-mount extension tubes for peanuts.

How about in addition to it? Remember, this is a 75mm macro lens, not a 55mm lens. The two are quite different actually. I already own the 55, and it's a great lens too. 15mp on the A7r is still plenty of resolution for most of my macro needs. I hate messing around with extension tubes...

Jan 31, 2014 at 02:45 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Official: Zeiss Touit 50mm F2.8 Macro announced

The MTF on zeiss page look really good.

Jan 31, 2014 at 02:51 PM
ken.vs.ryu
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Official: Zeiss Touit 50mm F2.8 Macro announced

I tried it at photoplus, I only have 2 samples.

http://sonyalphanex.blogspot.com/2013/10/Samples-Zeiss-35mm-55mm-Sonnar-FE-Touit-50mm-Macro.html

Jan 31, 2014 at 02:57 PM
AhamB
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Official: Zeiss Touit 50mm F2.8 Macro announced

alwang wrote:

I doubt that the FE is optically superior at 1:1 with extension tubes. Besides, like Vern says, the Touit macro is basically a 75mm lens (in terms of field of view), so it doesn't make sense to compare it to the Sonnar 55/1.8.

Jan 31, 2014 at 03:49 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Official: Zeiss Touit 50mm F2.8 Macro announced

Vern Dewit wrote:
How about in addition to it? Remember, this is a 75mm macro lens, not a 55mm lens.

While agreeing that they are quite different, and that there might be room for both, it is not a 75mm lens, but a 50mm lens. You could own both, but the angle of view on APS-C would be nearly the same.

Jan 31, 2014 at 04:16 PM
B-rad
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Official: Zeiss Touit 50mm F2.8 Macro announced

I can see many insects flying away with anyone trying to get a closeup with 50mm not to mention $999.00, Wow.

Jan 31, 2014 at 08:48 PM
AhamB
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Official: Zeiss Touit 50mm F2.8 Macro announced

B-rad wrote:
I can see many insects flying away with anyone trying to get a closeup with 50mm not to mention $999.00, Wow.

I've had quite some luck shooting butterflies with a Canon FD 50/3.5 macro on a Canon 40D. That's 80mm equivalent with Canon's 1.6 cropfactor. Not much shorter than the ubiquitous 90/100/105mm macro lenses for full frame. In some ways a shorter focal length macro lens is more ergonomic too (lighter, easier to stabilize).

Edited on Feb 01, 2014 at 02:21 AM · View previous versions

Jan 31, 2014 at 11:37 PM
Vern Dewit
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Official: Zeiss Touit 50mm F2.8 Macro announced

carstenw wrote:
While agreeing that they are quite different, and that there might be room for both, it is not a 75mm lens, but a 50mm lens. You could own both, but the angle of view on APS-C would be nearly the same.

I meant on the a7r. The one is a 55mm and the other is a 75mm due to the e-mount crop...

Jan 31, 2014 at 11:56 PM
joekraft
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Official: Zeiss Touit 50mm F2.8 Macro announced

Just found a pool on flickr for this lens, looks very good FWIW:

Touit 50 Macro

Edited on May 02, 2014 at 12:47 AM · View previous versions

May 02, 2014 at 12:17 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.