Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              11       12       end

Tamron 150-600 AI Servo sequential shots only

Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Tamron 150-600 AI Servo sequential shots only

Could we please limit this thread to only the postings of sequential action shots taken in AI Servo?

There are other threads on this lens for discussions about it.

Most images I have seen posted with this lens are of static subjects and any BIF shots only show one shot.

In this thread, please only post a series of sequential shots of something moving.

No shots like mine below, which is just one lucky in-focus shot out of a burst where all others were out-of-focus.

Note: Please do not strip the EXIF from your shots.

Canon EOS-1D Mark IV    TAMRON SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD A011 lens    600mm    f/6.3    1/1000s    3200 ISO    +0.7 EV  

Edited on Jan 31, 2014 at 06:32 PM · View previous versions

Jan 30, 2014 at 06:14 PM
sfink161

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Tamron 150-600 AI Servo sequential shots only

I hope some exist.

Jan 30, 2014 at 06:37 PM
arbitrage
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Tamron 150-600 AI Servo sequential shots only

sfink161 wrote:
I hope some exist.

I have a feeling that if Tony can't make such a series exist then no one can

Jan 30, 2014 at 06:39 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Tamron 150-600 AI Servo sequential shots only

sfink161 wrote:
I hope some exist.

Yeah, I should have added; post comments or images showing where you can't get such shots in focus.

Jan 30, 2014 at 06:41 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Tamron 150-600 AI Servo sequential shots only

arbitrage wrote:
I have a feeling that if Tony can't make such a series exist then no one can

I gave up trying and am waiting for Camera Canada to contact Tamron on my options on returning my copy.

Jan 30, 2014 at 06:43 PM
ox0312
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Tamron 150-600 AI Servo sequential shots only

It is possible I guess, Not getting enough time in the day light. Weather is not ideal for these shots.

Mallard duck by Photosequence, on Flickr

Didnot spent much time on this shot. Focus point was on the left feather and the bird was going away from me.

Mallard Ducks by ibnemuazzam, on Flickr

Jan 30, 2014 at 07:24 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Tamron 150-600 AI Servo sequential shots only

ox0312 wrote:
It is possible I guess, Not getting enough time in the day light. Weather is not ideal for these shots.

Since you have stripped the EXIF from those shots, I can't tell the time between the two shots, nor the f-stop, shutter speed, etc., etc.

Jan 30, 2014 at 07:28 PM
JVthePT

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Tamron 150-600 AI Servo sequential shots only

Here are 3 lucky pigeon shots.

2014_01_29_5536 by JVthePT, on Flickr

2014_01_29_5537 by JVthePT, on Flickr

2014_01_29_5538 by JVthePT, on Flickr

Camera
Canon EOS 70D

Exposure
1/3200 sec

Aperture
f/11.0

Focal Length
552 mm

ISO Speed

Jan 30, 2014 at 07:37 PM
ox0312
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Tamron 150-600 AI Servo sequential shots only

Since you have stripped the EXIF from those shots, I can't tell the time between the two shots, nor the f-stop, shutter speed, etc., etc.

I have compared the view in the light room. Please see the comparison view.
Exif info is available on Flickr

1st Shot:
1/1600s, F6.3, ISO 640, +1 EV

2nd Shot
1/1600s, F7.1, ISO 500, +1 EV

compare_view by ibnemuazzam, on Flickr

Jan 30, 2014 at 07:51 PM
squirl033
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Tamron 150-600 AI Servo sequential shots only

from what i've read, the problem is not so evident in tracking subjects moving across the field of vision as it is in tracking subjects moving more directly toward or away from you... could this be caused in part by the fact that at anything above about 425mm, the max aperture is f/6.3, and Canon's AF system (except the 1-series bodies) doesn't work reliably above f/5.6, and not at all at f/8?

Jan 30, 2014 at 08:56 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Tamron 150-600 AI Servo sequential shots only

squirl033 wrote:
from what i've read, the problem is not so evident in tracking subjects moving across the field of vision as it is in tracking subjects moving more directly toward or away from you... could this be caused in part by the fact that at anything above about 425mm, the max aperture is f/6.3, and Canon's AF system (except the 1-series bodies) doesn't work reliably above f/5.6, and not at all at f/8?

Even subjects moving across the field of vision are different distances away from you, albeit not by as much. A bird approaching from your right is further away from you than directly in front of you, and again as it flies to your left.

My 1D4 has no problem at all tracking birds with a 1.4x TC on my 400 f5.6, i.e. at f8.

Jan 30, 2014 at 09:27 PM
JVthePT

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Tamron 150-600 AI Servo sequential shots only

So only 3 of us have managed to capture a sequence of 2 or more shots in focus?

Jan 31, 2014 at 11:44 AM
arbitrage
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Tamron 150-600 AI Servo sequential shots only

JVthePT wrote:

It seems this really may be the thorn in the side of this lens. But, it seems it is something that could be fixed just via FW.....maybe

Jan 31, 2014 at 12:45 PM
surfinrobin

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Tamron 150-600 AI Servo sequential shots only

JVthePT wrote:

Between work, the awful weather & an ankle injury I've not had the chance to do any more shooting with this or any other lens at the moment.

Hopefully this weekend I should be able to get out for a few hours to my local lake, if it's not become an ocean...

I have managed to MA it though, -2 at 600mm for me, so should have no excuses now!

Edited on Jan 31, 2014 at 12:57 PM · View previous versions

Jan 31, 2014 at 12:55 PM
Karl Witt
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Tamron 150-600 AI Servo sequential shots only

arbitrage wrote:
It seems this really may be the thorn in the side of this lens. But, it seems it is something that could be fixed just via FW.....maybe

I have not even tried to shoot IF AI yet. With just two days off, bad weather it is killing me not to have had a chance to prove my lens out yet. Sunday is a shoot day for me, if it dies I'll try

Just remember too that there will be several trying this sequence that have never successfully done it with any other lens either.......
Karl

Looks like JVthePT has captured a nice trio to me!

Jan 31, 2014 at 12:56 PM
amyandmark3
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Tamron 150-600 AI Servo sequential shots only

Nice job JV. From what I've seen, you're THE ONE so far, lol.

It would be nice if one of the guys at a place like L&D 14 (or similar) had one of these lenses to test on the BE's. That is THE ideal place to test in flight performance. Of course, ImageMaster/Tony has some nice birds in his neck of the woods as evidenced by his excellent postings in the NW forum, just not sure if they're as readily available as the L&D's.

Karl, I also have interest in your results... especially if you're able to test it with a 1D3 since that's what I have. At this point, unless some more successful burst sequences from the Tamron show up, it looks like I'll be (again) purchasing a 100-400 or 400 5.6 for my re-entry into bird photography.

Mark

Jan 31, 2014 at 02:03 PM
JVthePT

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Tamron 150-600 AI Servo sequential shots only

I had such a rotten time shooting eagles and geese on Wednesday afternoon that I went home and boxed this lens up and emailed b&h for an RMA. Last evening I pulled it out and re-MA'd it a few times on the 70d. Now I'm going to give it another weekend of tryouts. If it fails I'm going the same route. Really thinking 400 f5.6, although I'm nervous to jump into a long prime. My fall-back is my 70-300L which never fails to put a smile on my face!

amyandmark3 wrote:

It would be nice if one of the guys at a place like L&D 14 (or similar) had one of these lenses to test on the BE's. That is THE ideal place to test in flight performance. Of course, ImageMaster/Tony has some nice birds in his neck of the woods as evidenced by his excellent postings in the NW forum, just not sure if they're as readily available as the L&D's.

Karl, I also have interest in your results... especially if you're able to test it with a
...Show more

Jan 31, 2014 at 02:12 PM
kirks518

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Tamron 150-600 AI Servo sequential shots only

This is a great thread. I've been following threads on this lens, and I'm really interested in how many out of a burst of X shots are usable.

Jan 31, 2014 at 02:40 PM
arbitrage
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Tamron 150-600 AI Servo sequential shots only

amyandmark3 wrote:

Karl, I also have interest in your results... especially if you're able to test it with a
...Show more

Personally if I were you and you are using a 1D3 I would go for either the 100-400 or the 400 (depending on your needs for zooming and IS) and add the 1.4TC when needed to get to 560mm. That will likely net better BIF results than this new Tamron. The new Tamron will be sharper at 500 and maybe at 600 than the 560 f/8 lens you will create with the other combos but the AF sounds like it will be better with the native Canon glass and Mark II or III TCs.

If one is on a 7D or 70D or a non f/8 focusing body then the Tamron may still be the best option but on an f/8 focusing body (5D3 and 1 series) I think right now with all the available info I've seen that I would stick with Canon's tried and true lenses and 1.4TC combo.

Jan 31, 2014 at 03:28 PM
Karl Witt
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Tamron 150-600 AI Servo sequential shots only

arbitrage wrote:
Personally if I were you and you are using a 1D3 I would go for either the 100-400 or the 400 (depending on your needs for zooming and IS) and add the 1.4TC when needed to get to 560mm. That will likely net better BIF results than this new Tamron. The new Tamron will be sharper at 500 and maybe at 600 than the 560 f/8 lens you will create with the other combos but the AF sounds like it will be better with the native Canon glass and Mark II or III TCs.

If one is on a 7D or
...Show more

It would be a shame not to assume that Tamron will have a fix for the issue in discussion, I believe they will.
Geoff, the problem with a 400 plus a TC is either you decide to leave it on or leave it off as it is IMO inconvenient to put on and take off as far as timing on shots.
However, at the moment if one needed to purchase a lens I think there are enough variables yet to be determined on the Tamron to hold off from it for a bit. I also think that it would be important to have a body that has Micro Adjust and use it to maximize the lens sharpness. I don't imagine there are many shooters that put a 500 or 600 on a body that does not have MA. ..................just my thoughts at this moment
Karl

Jan 31, 2014 at 03:42 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password