Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

The A7R teardown by Roger Cicala

BrianVS
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · The A7R teardown by Roger Cicala

Direct quote from the article cut and pasted here:

"Addendum: The A7r cover glass was about 1.5mm thick, compared to 0.75mm for a Canon 5D II."

Roger stated it was about 1.5mm thick, he did not mention the clips in his addendum. He compares the thickness with the Canon. I take this to mean the cover Glass itself is about 1.5mm thick, otherwise thickness of the clips should have been mentioned. I suspect that was taken into account before making such a statement.

Jan 31, 2014 at 02:20 PM
Steve Spencer
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · The A7R teardown by Roger Cicala

Look at the first page of this thread. There Roger wrote:

"The cover glass was just under 1.5mm thick (glass plus retaining clip was 1.5). A 5D II by comparison is 0.75mm"

Jan 31, 2014 at 02:27 PM
BrianVS
• •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · The A7R teardown by Roger Cicala

I saw that, took the addendum to mean the thickness of the glass was later determined to be "about 1.5mm", that thickness of the clip was negligible. Anyway, Roger posts here on this forum, will probably weigh in on it.

Jan 31, 2014 at 03:32 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · The A7R teardown by Roger Cicala

wayne seltzer wrote:
I just got a 20x20 print of the Taipei 101 building from Ming Thein taken with D800E and Zeiss Otus 55 and I doubt the A7r would be better IQ.
I'm sure after the uproar over the A7r lousy shutter, Sony will fix that in their next version, A8r?
Then the A7r resale value will drop harder than even that shutter!

at only 20x20 i doubt anybody would be able to tell them apart unless they knew some color profile tell to look for. there are some indications that the best lenses are actually sharper on the a7r sensor than the d800e, but honestly who cares. i'd much rather shoot with the a7r + 55/1.8 than the d800e + otus, but i understand other people feel the opposite way. hopefully you're right about the resale value because then i'll probably pick up an a7r (as it is i think i'll be getting the a7).

Jan 31, 2014 at 03:39 PM
Steve Spencer
• • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · The A7R teardown by Roger Cicala

It seems clear to me from the first page of the thread that Roger can't be precise yet. He also wrote, "Julian, I couldn't get the cover glass holder off: trying to undo the clips it started flexing and I feared cracking the glass. When I get a scratched one I'll cut the clips and take it off that way to experiment." So until he gets a scratched one we will just have to wait. I am sure once he gets the cover glass holder off he can take a precise measurement, but until then I think given that the cover glass holder was never taken off, "about 1.5mm" is not very precise and could vary a good bit.

Jan 31, 2014 at 03:41 PM
Romain
• •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · The A7R teardown by Roger Cicala

is there any shop selling replacement IR cut glass covers that would be thinner?

Jan 31, 2014 at 03:54 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

carstenw
• • • • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · The A7R teardown by Roger Cicala

sebboh wrote:
at only 20x20 i doubt anybody would be able to tell them apart unless they knew some color profile tell to look for. there are some indications that the best lenses are actually sharper on the a7r sensor than the d800e, but honestly who cares. i'd much rather shoot with the a7r + 55/1.8 than the d800e + otus, but i understand other people feel the opposite way. hopefully you're right about the resale value because then i'll probably pick up an a7r (as it is i think i'll be getting the a7).

Yeah, I think overall the A7 is just less trouble. However, the A7R would make a great backup camera to the A7

Jan 31, 2014 at 07:51 PM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · The A7R teardown by Roger Cicala

Leica doesn't really have much choice about how thick their cover glass should be, because many of the system's lenses are pre-digital and users expect those to work OK on a digital Leica. Therefore they try to get the glass as thin as possible. As many probably know, there was a side effect to this for the M9 - a significant number that developed cracked sensor cover glass, which I assume was related to how the sensor units were produced.

I imagine Sony is erring on the side of caution knowing these large, much more exposed (than SLR) sensors, where the shutter curtain is constantly open, will get dirty and will require cleaning. Most owners will do this themselves, or get someone at a camera shop to do it for them, etc... And given the kinds of lenses that will be adapted to these cameras, range of uses, and resulting stresses put on the cameras.... I doubt I'm wrong to think Sony wants to avoid cracked cover glass.

They're also in a different position with regards to lenses. Native glass is all designed to account for the peculiarities of current digital sensor design. All electronically adaptable legacy Sony/Minolta glass is from an SLR system where the problems presented by rangefinder glass is much less acute. Therefore, cover glass can be made thicker without the same degree of tradeoffs Leica faces.

My guess is it's only a matter of time before we see a small cottage industry for cover glass replacement. IIRC, when Edward contacted MaxMax, they were willing to replace his a7 (non-R?) cover glass. In a year or two, once these cameras are below $1000 on the used market, it will be a much less risky gamble.

Lee: regarding the cost of these cameras - also remember that Sony is the first to market with FF mirrorless, therefore they have the ability to set their preferred price point with less concern about undercutting competitors. That will all certainly come. Kind of reminds me of another time when Minolta was first on the market with something revolutionary: AF. I guess it took Canon about two years to get their EOS system out, and a couple more after that to demonstrate considerably better AF performance. Point being, it's great being first, but it doesn't guarantee long-term dominance. That said, there are some differences now compared to Minolta of old.

Feb 01, 2014 at 12:18 AM
kaycephoto
• • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · The A7R teardown by Roger Cicala

amazing tear-down & a very interesting look at one of the more intriguing new digital cameras to hit the market in a while.. I, for one, will be watching how Sony progresses in the coming years (while happily relying on my relatively mature Canon system for all my paid event work in the meantime)

Feb 01, 2014 at 07:47 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · The A7R teardown by Roger Cicala

rscheffler wrote:
Leica doesn't really have much choice about how thick their cover glass should be, because many of the system's lenses are pre-digital and users expect those to work OK on a digital Leica. Therefore they try to get the glass as thin as possible. As many probably know, there was a side effect to this for the M9 - a significant number that developed cracked sensor cover glass, which I assume was related to how the sensor units were produced.

I imagine Sony is erring on the side of caution knowing these large, much more exposed (than SLR) sensors, where the
...Show more

I'm not sure about the thickness of the cover glass being the issue with the M9 sensor cover cracking. It was said to be a manufacturing defect that caused it, not the thickness.

Feb 01, 2014 at 08:59 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · The A7R teardown by Roger Cicala

molson wrote:
Roger, did the shutter mechanism have any labels or markings saying "Pentax 6x7", by any chance?

Tariq Gibran wrote:
...all you have to do is notice the sync speed of the A7R is not 1/30 sec.

molson wrote:
After I posted that, I realized there probably aren't many people on this forum old enough to understand the reference...

Oh I do. That Pentax was huge and heavy, yet it was a cheaper 6x7 for many of us. I have no idea what moving mass was invoved in the shutter mechanics, but it was a lot. When I later upgraded to Mamiya M7, the electronic shutter release and leaf shutters were a revelation.

EBH

Feb 02, 2014 at 03:01 AM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password