FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2014 · The A7R teardown by Roger Cicala

Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · The A7R teardown by Roger Cicala

molson wrote:
After I posted that, I realized there probably aren't many people on this forum old enough to understand the reference...

Hey, who are you calling OLD! Ha ha.

Jan 30, 2014 at 09:09 AM
phigment
• •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · The A7R teardown by Roger Cicala

Great work Roger and Aaron the screwdriver driver!

Jan 30, 2014 at 09:40 AM
Lee Saxon
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · The A7R teardown by Roger Cicala

Anyone not clear on why I'm always complaining that A7/r aren't as much cheaper than their D600/D800 sensor twins as they should be given the likely difference in production cost, this is what I was talking about.

Jan 30, 2014 at 11:26 AM
wayne seltzer
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · The A7R teardown by Roger Cicala

Anyway to replace the loud shutter module?

Jan 30, 2014 at 12:01 PM
Makten
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · The A7R teardown by Roger Cicala

Lee Saxon wrote:
Anyone not clear on why I'm always complaining that A7/r aren't as much cheaper than their D600/D800 sensor twins as they should be given the likely difference in production cost, this is what I was talking about.

Ever heard of development costs?

Jan 30, 2014 at 12:13 PM
kj_vogelius

p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · The A7R teardown by Roger Cicala

Great stuff as usual. Thank you Roger!

A bit surprised by the complete (?) lack of environmental seals. Wonder if it's really more weather proof than any other recent mirrorless camera.

Jan 30, 2014 at 12:17 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · The A7R teardown by Roger Cicala

kj_vogelius wrote:
Great stuff as usual. Thank you Roger!

A bit surprised by the complete (?) lack of environmental seals. Wonder if it's really more weather proof than any other recent mirrorless camera.

Who claimed that? It's obviously not anywhere near as weather resistant as something like an Olympus OM-D EM1 which uses gaskets and so on for real weather sealing.

These cameras - the A7's - are "7" series cameras and this series is one step lower than the top series in Sony's line, the professionally specced "9" series. To get true weather sealing and basic things like a sync terminal, that's the camera one will have to wait for (if you need those features).

Jan 30, 2014 at 12:29 PM
AhamB
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · The A7R teardown by Roger Cicala

wayne seltzer wrote:
How easy to replace noisy shutter module with a more silent one? Or are these customized to each camera model?

Replacing it seems out of the question to me. I read somewhere that the Sony engineers were relieved they were able to fit a shutter that can do 1/8000s shutter speed into such a small space (or something alone those lines). The body being smaller and lighter also gives less capability to dampen the vibrations and sound, of course.

Jan 30, 2014 at 12:59 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · The A7R teardown by Roger Cicala

AhamB wrote:
Replacing it seems out of the question to me. I read somewhere that the Sony engineers were relieved they were able to fit a shutter that can do 1/8000s shutter speed into such a small space (or something alone those lines). The body being smaller and lighter also gives less capability to dampen the vibrations and sound, of course.

The A7 Sony design team was interviewed and stated that "one of the hardest challenges was to add the 1/8000 shutter in such a small body". Quoted from Sonyalpharumors:
http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/interview-with-sony-a7-a7r-developers-faster-lenses-are-in-development/

Jan 30, 2014 at 01:05 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · The A7R teardown by Roger Cicala

AhamB wrote:

In other words, they chose to sacrifice image quality (due to shutter vibration) in order to claim a more impressive-sounding maximum shutter speed...?

Jan 30, 2014 at 01:29 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · The A7R teardown by Roger Cicala

molson wrote:
In other words, they chose to sacrifice image quality (due to shutter vibration) in order to claim a more impressive-sounding maximum shutter speed...?

yes, terrible image quality sacrifices were made, yet it still has better image quality than any non medium format camera. i am perfectly happy with trading the ability to get all 36mp perfectly sharp at 1/100 with a 300mm lens for the ability to shoot a fast lens on a sunny day without having to futz with filters.

Jan 30, 2014 at 02:32 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · The A7R teardown by Roger Cicala

molson wrote:

Jan 30, 2014 at 02:52 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · The A7R teardown by Roger Cicala

sebboh wrote:
yes, terrible image quality sacrifices were made, yet it still has better image quality than any non medium format camera.

Well, except for the Nikon D800 and D800E...

Jan 30, 2014 at 03:50 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · The A7R teardown by Roger Cicala

molson wrote:
Well, except for the Nikon D800 and D800E...

actually, in most cases the a7r turns out to be sharper than the d800e, so you can actually make nicer large prints with the a7r. on the other hand the d800e has a little better high iso, so it'll be better for low light, but a canon or the d4 would be even better.

Jan 30, 2014 at 10:20 PM
wayne seltzer
• • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · The A7R teardown by Roger Cicala

sebboh wrote:
actually, in most cases the a7r turns out to be sharper than the d800e, so you can actually make nicer large prints with the a7r. on the other hand the d800e has a little better high iso, so it'll be better for low light, but a canon or the d4 would be even better.

I just got a 20x20 print of the Taipei 101 building from Ming Thein taken with D800E and Zeiss Otus 55 and I doubt the A7r would be better IQ.
I'm sure after the uproar over the A7r lousy shutter, Sony will fix that in their next version, A8r?
Then the A7r resale value will drop harder than even that shutter!

Jan 30, 2014 at 11:48 PM
andrenth
• •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · The A7R teardown by Roger Cicala

I think we need a little perspective here. Even if IQ is not as good as the D800(E) (though from what I've seen it is at least as good), how does being between 1st and 3rd best FF cameras IQ-wise qualify as "image quality sacrifices", especially considering all the breakthroughs in the A7(r)?

Jan 31, 2014 at 05:33 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · The A7R teardown by Roger Cicala

wayne seltzer wrote:
I just got a 20x20 print of the Taipei 101 building from Ming Thein taken with D800E and Zeiss Otus 55 and I doubt the A7r would be better IQ.
I'm sure after the uproar over the A7r lousy shutter, Sony will fix that in their next version, A8r?
Then the A7r resale value will drop harder than even that shutter!

So Wayne, do you buy your gear based on it's resale value, or do you buy it to make photos?

Oh, that 20x20 print...did you wipe the oil spots off the D800 sensor before you took the photo?

Jan 31, 2014 at 06:55 AM
alundeb
• • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · The A7R teardown by Roger Cicala

Just sold my D800E, for what the A7r did cost me. There are pros and cons with both cameras, but in sum I consider it an upgrade for free

Jan 31, 2014 at 07:13 AM
BrianVS
• •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · The A7R teardown by Roger Cicala

The article states that the Cover Glass is 1.5mm thick. On the M9, the cover glass is 0.8mm thick and on the M8 it is 0.5mm thick. The cover glass will "act like" a weak AA filter. The M8 used with an IR cut filter over the lens produces an image that is "more crisp" than the M9 used with the same lens and filter. I have also observed more artifacts due to aliasing on the M8 when compared to using the same lens on the M9. This has been attributed to the thicker cover glass of the M9. The M9 with it's 0.8mm cover glass has very low IR contamination, so a 1.5mm thick filter over the A7r seems like "overkill".

Jan 31, 2014 at 07:38 AM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · The A7R teardown by Roger Cicala

If I understood Roger correctly the cover glass is somewhat less than 1.5mm. The cover glass plus the clips are 1.5mm and he didn't want to take the clips off for fear of damaging the cover glass. So we don't have a precise measurement of the cover glass.

Jan 31, 2014 at 09:13 AM
       3       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.