New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Sennheiser MKE 600 And My D7000

SweetMk
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sennheiser MKE 600 And My D7000

I have made a couple videos and have found the mic limitations of my D7000's mic. I would like to stay in the price range of a Sennheiser MKE-600 mic.

Have you had any experience with these or other mics?

My only stopping point of ordering at this point is I can not even find a picture of what you actually get with the mic.

I guess I need some sort of a cable to connect the MKE-600 to the D7000, a recommendation of a cable would be helpful.

If you are bored, you can watch the D7000 video that I had to almost lean into the camera so that mic would pick up the audio.

Any audio help would be appreciated!!

Jan 29, 2014 at 03:28 PM
clay23
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sennheiser MKE 600 And My D7000

You cant go wrong with the Rode Video Mic

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/744768-REG/Rode_VIDEOMIC_PRO_VideoMic_Pro_Compact_Shotgun.html

Jan 29, 2014 at 03:57 PM
jefflee
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sennheiser MKE 600 And My D7000

I have Rode Video Mic pro and use it on both my D7000 and D7100.

Jan 29, 2014 at 06:15 PM
SweetMk
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sennheiser MKE 600 And My D7000

Well, I am gonna go another way!
We have a local sound specialty store, They initially recommended the Zoom H4N, then told me the Zoom H6 will be in next week.

I am gonna try that, I possibly will not need another mic, but, if I do I will try the Giant Squid lav mic next.

http://www.giantsquidaudiolab.com/

With the Zoom, it seems like I can use almost any mic.

Any other mic recommendations?

Feb 02, 2014 at 04:45 PM
RLDubbya
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sennheiser MKE 600 And My D7000

Depends on what you're doing, and what you want as a final product.

I use the Rode VideoMic. Hard to beat it for a simple, directional, mono mic. For the majority of talking head stuff, it's solid.

I patch that into a Atomos NinjaII recorder. I also leave the camera mic (7100 and 800) turned on, and fed via HDMI into the Ninja. That gives me 4 tracks of directional sound recorded on the Ninja's SSD.

I'll then mic up the speaker with a lav mic; I use the Audio Technica kit, and wirless lav. The AT base station gets patched into a Handy Zoom 4n, and I setup the Zoom on a small tripod for audience Q&A coverage. Run the Zoom in multichannel mode, and I get solid mic coverage of the speaker, along with semi-decent audience coverage, recorded to another medium.

This gives me a couple things, amongst them, I get good redundancy of the presenter's track. Since I'm doing this on assignment, I need that redundancy.

Since I'm a one-man show, I can't really use a boom mic along with a mixer, and try to cover the crowd any better.

Another add-on for me might be to add another AT base station, and a wireless handheld mic. Let the audience pass the mic around for asking questions, run that feed into the Zoom as well.

The Zoom does a "meh" job of mixing down the feeds. It's not dead quiet, but it's passable. I've heard good things about the similarly priced Teac - including that it's supposed to sound a bit quieter.

The Zoom's mics aren't great. Maybe the next model up will be better - but for the price, it's a nice all-one-box.

I don't know if you've tried taking your D7000 mic out of "Auto Level Control" - but that is a big leap forward in sound quality. If you're leaning into the source so much, that might be your issue. Just thought I'd mention that.

Cables: stay with stuff that supports XLR / balanced patching. They tend to eliminate grounding noise issues; they're more robust at the connection points, and BH has decent quality cables for cheap - under 20 bucks. They're fine.

Once you start getting multi sound sources, separate from video, you'll have to find a way to sync them in post. Not a big deal, but something to be aware of.

Feb 02, 2014 at 08:02 PM
Keith B.
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sennheiser MKE 600 And My D7000

I have plugged an MKH 600 into my D800; it worked fine on a static, indoor, non-moving setup, way better sound than the built-in, but: the 600 is too long(imo) to operate in the field. Find something smaller.

Feb 03, 2014 at 01:04 AM
patrick04

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sennheiser MKE 600 And My D7000

For the type of audio that it is in your YouTube video, I would recommend a lav mic and portable audio recorder, since you probably don't want to be tethered to your camera by a lav mic with a cable. You could record the audio separately from the video using the Zoom H1 (or something similar, maybe a Tascam DR-05) and the Giant Squid lav mic.

I have personally compared the Giant Squid/Zoom H1 combination (with 1/8" stereo plug) to the Countryman EMW /Tascam DR-40 (significantly more expensive combination, with XLR inputs) and I could barely tell the difference using reference headphones.

The only caveats would be that the Giant Squid mic took 5 weeks to get to me instead of the 2 weeks quoted. And the internal clock of the portable audio recorder might be very slightly different than your camera, so if you're recording longer audio tracks (20+ minutes) and you're trying to sync the audio to to video (e.g. if your lips are in view while you're talking) you will probably need to stretch or compress the audio very slightly to get it to sync perfectly with the video.

Otherwise the Zoom H1 and Giant Squid mic sounds great, so much better than I expected for the price. And as long as you don't mind taking the extra time to sync, it's a great setup.

You could also plug the lav mic directly into the camera, but I haven't tested that versus using the Zoom H1. It might be okay, but you would be tethered.

Feb 06, 2014 at 08:23 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sennheiser MKE 600 And My D7000

SweetMk wrote:
Any other mic recommendations?

Lots depending on your budget, but the Rode NTG2 I'd buy over the Videomic any day.

http://www.rodemic.com/mics/ntg-2

Feb 06, 2014 at 08:45 AM
SweetMk
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Sennheiser MKE 600 And My D7000

Well, this audio thing is addictive, it is as bad as lighting or lens selection.

I initially went out to purchase a simple shotgun mic, this has evolved into a full blown system

After looking at the YouTube videos, I decided a recorder was necessary, I went out to get a Zoom H4N

Well, that evolved into a Zoom H6 purchase, of which I am super happy with.

I also found a Sennheiser MKE 400 Compact Shotgun Microphone for a great price, so that is being tried also.

So far, I have learned, for normal talking anyways, that the inverse square law is uber important!!

I now have 3 mics, and all function best at 6 inches or less.

The most intriguing mic is the Zoom mid-side mic, I gotta find some musicians jamming so I can record some real audio with that mic.

I can see more mics being purchased,,,,,,,,,,,, soon!!

I spent 3 hours learning Steinberg Cubase audio software last night.

FUN!!!

Feb 06, 2014 at 01:29 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.