Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              5      
       end

DxOmark reviews Sony FE 55mm 1.8 ZA: Outstanding!

wfrank
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #1 · p.6 #1 · DxOmark reviews Sony FE 55mm 1.8 ZA: Outstanding!

briantho wrote:
A bit late, but here is a quick WO comparison of the Contarex Zeiss Planar 50mm f2 and the Sony Zeiss FE 55mm f1.8. I realize I need to do more tests.

The comparisons are at the Sony MFD, the last image is to show the Contarex MFD, which is much closer than the Sony's. Advantage Contarex when it comes to MFD.

At first glance the sharpness looks to be equal, but at 100% you can see that the 50 year older lens doesn't have the same micro contrast as the Sony, but it's a very slight difference.

When it comes to
...Show more

Have to admit that I really like the bokeh of the contarex in these comparison shots.

Mar 29, 2014 at 10:44 PM
leterpee

p.6 #2 · p.6 #2 · DxOmark reviews Sony FE 55mm 1.8 ZA: Outstanding!

Its one thing for DxO to issue bench test reports such as this ( how does a small French company have the resources to test so many lenses anyway) but its another thing to test lenses in the field.
I purchased the A7r with this lens and agree that between F4 and F8 its superb ( I always shoot @ 100 ISO on a HD tripod and self timer) but I found my model CZ lens anyway was only average an say F14- and not in the same league as the 30m lens on my Sigma DP2 or the 50mm on my Sigma DP3.Perhaps I'm used to the Merrills but overall I was somewhat disappointed by the IQ of the A7r/55 CZ lens.I apply massive amounts of negative sharpening to the Merrills and they are still way sharper @ 100% view than the A7r.Up to A2 size prints@ 360 ppi they have the edge on the Sony but the sheer volume of pixels of the Sony starts to cut in and by 36 by 24 the latter are clearly better.
Perhaps I have just got a bad one but I must admit I'm a chronic pixel peeper.In order to deal with the Merrills sharpening I had a very unusual workflow but may have to come up with an entirely different workflow for the Sony.
I also purchased the 35mm CZ lens and found this just as good ( between F5.6 and f8) as the CZ 55 lens even though DxO didnt rate it anywhere near as high.
I'm not rubbishing DxO in any way - in fact DxO Optics 9 is my RAW developer of choice for the A7r as it clearly has the edge on any other PC based software.

Apr 01, 2014 at 05:20 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.6 #3 · p.6 #3 · DxOmark reviews Sony FE 55mm 1.8 ZA: Outstanding!

leterpee wrote:
Its one thing for DxO to issue bench test reports such as this ( how does a small French company have the resources to test so many lenses anyway) but its another thing to test lenses in the field.
I purchased the A7r with this lens and agree that between F4 and F8 its superb ( I always shoot @ 100 ISO on a HD tripod and self timer) but I found my model CZ lens anyway was only average an say F14- and not in the same league as the 30m lens on my Sigma DP2 or the 50mm on
...Show more

i think you are looking too much at the pixels rather than the whole picture. if the sony looks better at 24x36 and larger then it is better (and can be made to look better at smaller sizes too). the merrills have a completely different sensor that gives them much sharper individual pixels than any bayer sensor independent of the lens. they also apply a ton of local contrast to the files that turning down the sharpening won't get rid of (i've tried because that look bothers me). if you really like the look of the merrill though, you won't be able to mimic it with any lens/camera combination without a ton of processing.

also, at f/14 the zeiss on sony will be losing a ton of sharpness due to diffraction. anything past f/8 will cause a noticeable reduction in contrast and sharpness. the processing on the sigmas does a lot to minimize the visibility of loss of sharpness due to diffraction, but similar things can be done in post to bayer files. fwiw, the best aperture for sharpness on the FE 55 is probably f/2.8 or f/4 in the center and f/5.6 at the edge (there will be a barely detectable drop in sharpness in the center from f/4 to f/5.6).

Apr 01, 2014 at 06:01 AM
       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password