Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       5       6       end

Archive 2014 · DxOmark reviews Sony FE 55mm 1.8 ZA: Outstanding!

Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · DxOmark reviews Sony FE 55mm 1.8 ZA: Outstanding!

Makten wrote:
It's called mechanical vignetting, and it's a property that you will find in the majority of fast lenses if the image circle isn't oversized.

I was afraid that's what might be causing it. Hasn't that also been observed on a few fast lenses when used on the A7's in cases where this does not show up on other bodies when used with the same lenses? In any case, never seen that effect with the RX1.

Jan 29, 2014 at 06:39 PM
philip_pj
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · DxOmark reviews Sony FE 55mm 1.8 ZA: Outstanding!

For info, at f2.8 vignetting data is: FE55: 0.75 stops, MP50: 0.66 stops, Summilux-M Asph: 0.5 and Nikkor 58mm f1.4: 0.25 stops.

None are perfect, choose your poison.

Jan 29, 2014 at 11:06 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · DxOmark reviews Sony FE 55mm 1.8 ZA: Outstanding!

philip_pj wrote:
For info, at f2.8 vignetting data is: FE55: 0.75 stops, MP50: 0.66 stops, Summilux-M Asph: 0.5 and Nikkor 58mm f1.4: 0.25 stops.

None are perfect, choose your poison.

I'll choose the least amount of poison please. Actually, I am not too picky about vignetting. I find it adds to most shots and is rarely troublesome for the type of shooting I do.

Jan 29, 2014 at 11:37 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · DxOmark reviews Sony FE 55mm 1.8 ZA: Outstanding!

For those curious about how the 55 compares to other ~50mm lenses in terms of total light transmission on the A7r, I did a comparison here.

Jan 29, 2014 at 11:41 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · DxOmark reviews Sony FE 55mm 1.8 ZA: Outstanding!

Tariq Gibran wrote:
I was afraid that's what might be causing it. Hasn't that also been observed on a few fast lenses when used on the A7's in cases where this does not show up on other bodies when used with the same lenses? In any case, never seen that effect with the RX1.

it is present in pretty much every fast 50 on any camera to varying degrees. it's also present on the rx1 but to a lesser degree (it's also harder to provoke due to the focal length):
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5322/9526943037_2c93116597_o.jpg

wrt to the FE 55/1.8 bokeh, i find it to be better than most fast 50s wide open, though a bit contrasty, but definitely harsher than i'd like stopped down. i'm reasonably confident i will prefer my rokkor.

at large aperture the otus definitely looks better to me bokeh wise and the lux asph definitely looks better than the otus.

Jan 30, 2014 at 02:09 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · DxOmark reviews Sony FE 55mm 1.8 ZA: Outstanding!

I guess the basket of fruit and book vouchers Sony sent really hit the spot.

Jan 30, 2014 at 02:39 AM
wayne seltzer
• • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · DxOmark reviews Sony FE 55mm 1.8 ZA: Outstanding!

John, I agree with you about the bokeh. I prefer Otus and 50P better too. I am still in love with the Otus I rented and shot on my D800E. Was really hard parting with that lens to send it back to Roger.
Yeah, bokeh is personal.

Jan 30, 2014 at 02:50 AM
bushwacker
• • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · DxOmark reviews Sony FE 55mm 1.8 ZA: Outstanding!

Jochenb wrote:
I can only say that many of the 55FE shots make me feel a bit dizzy. I'm always sensitive to double lining. I don't see it in my f2.8 planar shots and not even in the shots from the Sonnar on my RX1, even though that's an even more difficult focal length for smooth bokeh. I just noticed that Lloyd Chambers seems to agree with me in his review of the 55/1.8. Some quotes:

"Bokeh is very good if not entirely pleasing; it could be smoother. Overall the bokeh feels a little “edgy”, lacking finesse. But this is often the price
...Show more

... this is the convo I've been waiting based on the samples presented the FE55 is indeed tends to double edge, now I noticed that the double edge appears at close distance background.

I am getting ready to buy an A7 + FE55 combo kit but I am holding on for a while because of the bokeh

Jan 30, 2014 at 06:55 AM
bushwacker
• • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · DxOmark reviews Sony FE 55mm 1.8 ZA: Outstanding!

Jochenb wrote:
I don't like overly smooth bokeh, like the gaussian blur-like bokeh you get from lenses like the Canon 85/1.2L. I love the more defined bokeh that many Zeiss lenses offer. However, more defined doesn't mean double-edged. That's something I always dislike. Discussing bokeh has always been difficult, because it can't be measured and we all have a different idea of what "good bokeh" is.
I find it interesting to see other people's preferences though.

Our all time Favorite... Ken Rockwell says it here:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/bokeh.htm

The number 3 bokeh pic is what I want, I don't care if you guys like him or not...

Jan 30, 2014 at 07:00 AM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · DxOmark reviews Sony FE 55mm 1.8 ZA: Outstanding!

sebboh wrote:
it is present in pretty much every fast 50 on any camera to varying degrees. it's also present on the rx1 but to a lesser degree (it's also harder to provoke due to the focal length):
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5322/9526943037_2c93116597_o.jpg

wrt to the FE 55/1.8 bokeh, i find it to be better than most fast 50s wide open, though a bit contrasty, but definitely harsher than i'd like stopped down. i'm reasonably confident i will prefer my rokkor.

at large aperture the otus definitely looks better to me bokeh wise and the lux asph definitely looks better than the otus.

Yeah, I guess the RX1 has just spoiled me with regard to bokeh. What you posted above looks dramatically better than these FE 55 bokeh crop from the earlier posted samples to my eyes. The FE55 lens is so good in all other aspects though that I would still own it in a heartbeat if I used one of the A7's, even though I don't really consider it a "fast" 50 by traditional standards. Normal FL lenses between 1.7-2 have always been the slower options to their F 1.4 and faster cousins in any manufacturers lens lines.
http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5540407/fe55b1.jpg

Jan 30, 2014 at 07:49 AM
Toothwalker
• • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · DxOmark reviews Sony FE 55mm 1.8 ZA: Outstanding!

Tariq Gibran wrote:
I was afraid that's what might be causing it. Hasn't that also been observed on a few fast lenses when used on the A7's in cases where this does not show up on other bodies when used with the same lenses?

No.

In any case, never seen that effect with the RX1.

It occurs with every lens that I have owned, on every body that I have used.

It can only be avoided by using a lens with an image circle that is considerably larger than the sensor, a condition that is rare with lenses used on the format they are designed for.

Jan 30, 2014 at 11:31 AM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · DxOmark reviews Sony FE 55mm 1.8 ZA: Outstanding!

Toothwalker wrote:
It occurs with every lens that I have owned, on every body that I have used.

It can only be avoided by using a lens with an image circle that is considerably larger than the sensor, a condition that is rare with lenses used on the format they are designed for.

So, are you saying you have not owned the RX1 or that it shows up as above with the RX1? Seems I recall it was suggested that the Sonnar on the RX1 has a very large image circle, which might explain it's incredible wide open performance and perhaps it's bokeh.

Jan 30, 2014 at 11:42 AM
Toothwalker
• • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · DxOmark reviews Sony FE 55mm 1.8 ZA: Outstanding!

Tariq Gibran wrote:
So, are you saying you have not owned the RX1 or that it shows up as above with the RX1? Seems I recall it was suggested that the Sonnar on the RX1 has a very large image circle, which might explain it's incredible wide open performance and perhaps it's bokeh.

I was not addressing the RX1 in particular, but it shows up:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/zacheryjensen/8258223663/

Jan 30, 2014 at 12:02 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · DxOmark reviews Sony FE 55mm 1.8 ZA: Outstanding!

Toothwalker wrote:
No.

So, you don't think what theSuede says below applies then. What we are seeing towards the edges of the frame with regard to bokeh with larger aperture lenses on FF E-mount could not be the result of "clipped OOF highlights"?

"You can of course accept some mechanical vignette, and get clipped OOF highlights and darker corners, but it's in no way optimal."

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1239073/2#11791188

Jan 30, 2014 at 12:07 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · DxOmark reviews Sony FE 55mm 1.8 ZA: Outstanding!

Samuli Vahonen wrote:
Most likely more issue of A7 and A7r. Both of them are not following EXIF standard, EXIF segment field MaxApertureValue is expressed as normal number, even standard defines this field (like most "Value" fields) to use APEX numbering system. Due to this if software maker haven't taken into account that some manufacturers don't follow standards will show wrong maximum aperture. At least Apple Aperture doesn't know that Sony engineers were not competent enough to follow standards.

A7r:
samulis-mini:ready samu$ exiftool -s -G -EXIF:MaxApertureValue 20140118_124418_FE55F1.8\@f2.8_1per50s_ISO100_A7r.jpg 
[EXIF] MaxApertureValue : 1.8
samulis-mini:ready samu$ exiftool -n -s -G -EXIF:MaxApertureValue 20140118_124418_FE55F1.8\@f2.8_1per50s_ISO100_A7r.jpg
[EXIF]

This is not new to Sony, they did skip reading standards already some years ago... (A850 + 2.8/24-70ZA):
samulis-mini:ready samu$ exiftool -s -G -EXIF:MaxApertureValue 20130602_182109_ZA2470F2.8_35mm@f4_1per40s_ISO100_A850.jpg
[EXIF] MaxApertureValue : 2.8
samulis-mini:ready samu$ exiftool -n -s -G -EXIF:MaxApertureValue 20130602_182109_ZA2470F2.8_35mm@f4_1per40s_ISO100_A850.jpg
[EXIF] MaxApertureValue : 2.80000000452162

Samuli
...Show more

The max aperture in the exif (image properties) is 1.6953125

Jan 30, 2014 at 12:25 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · DxOmark reviews Sony FE 55mm 1.8 ZA: Outstanding!

Tariq Gibran wrote:
So, you don't think what theSuede says below applies then. What we are seeing towards the edges of the frame with regard to bokeh with larger aperture lenses on FF E-mount could not be the result of "clipped OOF highlights"?

"You can of course accept some mechanical vignette, and get clipped OOF highlights and darker corners, but it's in no way optimal."

that's actually a little different (caused by something not part of the lens itself) and shows up less on the a7 than on most FF dslrs (there are a number of comparisons between the same lens on a 5D of some type versus a7(r)) where it's caused by the mirrorbox. what you are seeing on the FE 55/1.8 is caused by the lens itself not the camera. it's easy to spot when the result is due to the camera because that typically makes a straight edge to the highlight rather than the ellipses typical of physical vignetting caused by the lens.

Jan 30, 2014 at 12:25 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · DxOmark reviews Sony FE 55mm 1.8 ZA: Outstanding!

Tariq Gibran wrote:

but it does still show up with the rx1, it's just not as bad. most 35mm lenses aren't as bad though.

Jan 30, 2014 at 12:26 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · DxOmark reviews Sony FE 55mm 1.8 ZA: Outstanding!

sebboh wrote:
that's actually a little different (caused by something not part of the lens itself) and shows up less on the a7 than on most FF dslrs (there are a number of comparisons between the same lens on a 5D of some type versus a7(r)) where it's caused by the mirrorbox. what you are seeing on the FE 55/1.8 is caused by the lens itself not the camera. it's easy to spot when the result is due to the camera because that typically makes a straight edge to the highlight rather than the ellipses typical of physical vignetting caused by the
...Show more

Thanks. I suspected that the sharp pointed part of the bokeh might indicate mechanical vignetting but I guess I'm wrong.

Jan 30, 2014 at 12:37 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · DxOmark reviews Sony FE 55mm 1.8 ZA: Outstanding!

sebboh wrote:
but it does still show up with the rx1, it's just not as bad. most 35mm lenses aren't as bad though.

Yeah, I have never seen anything as bad as above from the RX1 myself.

Jan 30, 2014 at 12:38 PM
Toothwalker
• • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · DxOmark reviews Sony FE 55mm 1.8 ZA: Outstanding!

Tariq Gibran wrote:

What theSuede says may apply, but is a different effect. I was under the impression that we were talking about optical vignetting (called mechanical vignetting by Makten) that causes the cat's eye effect (called pointed oblong egg shapes by you). The clipped highlights mentioned above are due to mechanical intrusions between the lens and the sensor. The clipping comes on top of the cat's eyes and mutilates the blur typically as follows:
http://journal.bryansoderlind.com/uncategorized/f1.html

Such clipping is what I call mechanical vignetting.

Jan 30, 2014 at 12:42 PM
1       2      

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.