New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · shutter vibration / fuzzy on 6D

krementz
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · shutter vibration / fuzzy on 6D

I have not been getting sharp images from my 100-400 on a good tripod for landscapes. I don't think I have the right techniques. I often want to use very slow shutter speeds.

Live view on or off?
2 second delay on shutter press? Is 10 secs better, or a waste of time?
Silent LV? Which mode?
Mirror lockup? Or only between 1/60 and 1/250?
IS off? Except when windy? How windy?

There seem to be a lot of combinations, and I am not clear which are the most important.

Thanks.

Jan 29, 2014 at 10:34 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · shutter vibration / fuzzy on 6D

Have you done AF microadjust testing with this combination?

The 100-400L IS has an old IS version, and so it should be turned off when shooting on a tripod, unless there's enough wind to cause things to shake around.

For tripod photos, I generally use LiveView manual focus with two-second shutter delay. If you want to get steadier, you can use a wired remote release, or get a smart phone app to do it through WiFi.

The 6D has electronic first curtain shutter (FCS), and so MLU isn't needed when you're shooting through LiveView.

When it's windy or if you have a 'tight' tripod that vibrates, an easy solution is to add weight to the system. Alternatively, a bean bag or "Puffin Pad" provides very stable support.

Jan 29, 2014 at 10:42 AM
krementz
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · shutter vibration / fuzzy on 6D

jcolwell - searching he manual, I can't find any information about first curtain shutter (FCS). First curtain synchronization is mentioned, but that only has to do with flashes, so is irrelevant here.

Am I missing something? Thanks!

Jan 29, 2014 at 11:05 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · shutter vibration / fuzzy on 6D

krementz wrote:
jcolwell - searching he manual, I can't find any information about first curtain shutter (FCS). First curtain synchronization is mentioned, but that only has to do with flashes, so is irrelevant here.

Am I missing something? Thanks!

Maybe. EFCS means that when you take a photo using LiveView, there is no 'first curtain' shutter movement at the start of the image capture. The first curtain has already dropped (and the mirror also went up), at the start of the LV session. At the end of the exposure, the shutter (second curtain) falls.

Older cameras without EFCS and LiveView would actually close and then re-open the shutter, when taking a "LV" photo.

Edited on Jan 29, 2014 at 11:09 AM · View previous versions

Jan 29, 2014 at 11:07 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · shutter vibration / fuzzy on 6D

krementz wrote:
I have not been getting sharp images from my 100-400 on a good tripod for landscapes. I don't think I have the right techniques. I often want to use very slow shutter speeds.

Live view on or off?
2 second delay on shutter press? Is 10 secs better, or a waste of time?
Silent LV? Which mode?
Mirror lockup? Or only between 1/60 and 1/250?
IS off? Except when windy? How windy?

There seem to be a lot of combinations, and I am not clear which are the most important.

Thanks.

If you are shooting landscapes from the tripod...

- DO use live view.

- Either mode 1 or 2 will perform essentially equally well when it comes to shutter vibration. (In both cases, there really isn't any shutter motion vibration before the exposure.

- If you use a remote release (and you do, right?!) then there is no reason to use any delay setting on the camera - 2 seconds or 10 seconds.

- Mirror lockup is irrelevant in live view. The mirror is up by default in live view. (So, no MLU in live view.) To be even more explicit, live view and MLU are mutually exclusive modes - they cannot work at the same time.

- After touching the camera, moving the tripod, etc., wait a few seconds for vibrations to dissipate before making your exposure. I tend to think that 2-3 seconds is sufficient, though some folks think even longer might help - I'm doubtful.

- Speaking of this, I would tend to avoid using either AF mode when making landscape photographs with such a long lens. Either can introduce some amount of vibration to the system, but especially the mode that momentarily flips the mirror down, AFs in the usual manner, then flips the mirror up to make the shot in live view. I prefer to MF at 10x magnification. If you must AF, do so before switching to live view mode, and then turn AF off before making the exposure.

- Realize that the large area of this lens, combined with the very long focal length, makes the system far more susceptible to vibration from air movement. Even relatively weak breezes can create enough vibration to create a bit of blur and soften the image. Do use a high quality tripod and head, but even this won't eliminate the issue. Some people recommend hanging weights from the tripod center column, but in my experience this also does not help ver much with the sort of vibrations we're talking about here. So, wait and try to time your exposure for instants when the wind is dead calm or as close to it as possible.

- In this regard, I developed a trick that helps me with this timing. With the camera on the tripod I compose my shot and focus in live view. Once everything is ready to go, I leave live view at the 10x magnification setting. This, of course, magnifies any camera vibration by 10X as well, making it very visible. I wait until this magnified image stabilizes and then make my exposure. (If you have a camera strap that hangs down when the camera is on the tripod, watching it can also help you detect and assess air movement.)

- There are other complexities when doing landscapes at very long focal lengths. For example, "heat waves" (which also occur in air that is very cold!) will diffuse the image and make it "bend" and "wobble." With short exposures you will see a sort of "jaggy" effect on things that should have well defined edges. (I have a great example in a shot of the cables on the Golden Gate bridge done on a cold winter morning.) With longer exposures, this necessarily "smears" details a bit. There is not a darned thing you can do about it other than shoot at a different time when the conditions change.

- Haze can also soften your photograph at 400mm in ways that lessen the resolution that you want to achieve. When you are using the long lens to make tight compositions of subjects at a great distance, you get many times more haze between you and the subject that you would get using a shorter lens and being closer. This can be a good effect - I love to work this atmospheric haze in my photographs with the long lens - but you may need to moderate its effect with some work in post processing.

- Touching the camera can help dampen vibrations, as long as your shutter speed isn't too slow. The idea is not to try to "hold" the camera still, but to perhaps simply touch the lens with a steady hand to dampen some of the higher frequency vibrations a bit. I would only do this if I'm unable to time an exposure for breaks in the breeze and I must shoot with wind vibration. It won't help with extremely long exposures.

- There are other techniques in my bag of tricks for dealing with camera stability on the tripod. If you can work from behind almost any shelter - your car, a tree, a small building, some boulders - this can be enough to diminish the strength of wind-induced vibrations. Also, rather than shooting with your tripod at full height consider shooting from a lower position with the legs retracted. Not only does this reduce the potential for tripod vibration, but it may also help to get the system a bit more out of the wind.

- Regarding IS, with the application of the other techniques mentioned above, you should normally not have IS enabled, especially with the 100-400. On this lens the image will "wander" when the camera is on the tripod with IS enabled, and it can do so enough to change your composition. However, in rare situations the "wandering" might be less of a problem than small vibrations and it is worth trying an exposure or two with it on to see which works best.

Good luck!

Dan

(just archived this reply as a post at my blog: http://www.gdanmitchell.com/2014/01/29/camera-stability-and-long-lenses)

Edited on Jan 29, 2014 at 11:45 AM · View previous versions

Jan 29, 2014 at 11:08 AM
surf monkey
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · shutter vibration / fuzzy on 6D

Dan has a lot of great advice.

My only addition:
I often use weight to dampen the entire "system".
Originally developed in studio with sandbags, I found that weight provides a benefit in the field, especially when there is wind. In the beginning I simply would hang the camera bag from the tripod hook. But this sometimes added movement when the bag moves. So now I put the bag on the ground and use a bungee cord to attach. You'll be surprised at how much dampening the tripod helps control vibration.

Jan 29, 2014 at 11:33 AM
dcains
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · shutter vibration / fuzzy on 6D

krementz wrote:

What's your good tripod?

Jan 29, 2014 at 12:18 PM
krementz
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · shutter vibration / fuzzy on 6D

Dan, thank you for substantial reply.

dcains - I have a Gitzo CF with Acratech ball head and RRS L-bracket, lens-bracket and clamp. I don't remember the exact Gitzo number; it is medium weight, not lightweight. Landscapes are rarely shot all the way out at 400, and I do not have (want) a tele-converter.

Jan 29, 2014 at 12:50 PM
dcains
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · shutter vibration / fuzzy on 6D

A 2-series Gitzo may be OK in the best conditions, but only marginal in less than ideal conditions. If it's a 3-series, you should be OK, though. "surf monkey" has offered great advice on how to hang your bag using a bungee cord.

Jan 29, 2014 at 01:22 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.